Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

LHR-LAX-AKL on separate tickets, chances of getting checked through?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

I am booked on NZ1 LHR - LAX then NZ5 LAX - AKL, on the same day, after a change in travel plans meant that a trip to london was necessary after already booking AKL - LAX return flights. So I booked a LAX - LHR return, and then called the NZ call centre to change the dates of my LAX - AKL.

The NZ call centre informed me that it would be up to the check in staff at LHR as to whether they would check me through or not, and that I should not take NZ1 all the way in case they wouldn't. I asked if there was some way I could link the tickets and was told no.

What are the chances of getting checked all the way through? And why do NZ have this policy? Surely it does not cost them anything more to check me all the way even though I am on separate tickets? Do all airlines do this?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by tp52
What are the chances of getting checked all the way through?
The official answer/policy appears to still be "no interlining/through-checking on separate tickets". However kiwi_norway's recent experience indicates the LHR team are willing to do this. With an NZ1/NZ5 connection it doesn't matter anyway since you have to collect your bags at LAX.

Originally Posted by tp52
And why do NZ have this policy? Surely it does not cost them anything more to check me all the way even though I am on separate tickets? Do all airlines do this?
It's all part of the Koru Shaft feature set.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
My understanding is you can't through check your bags since your trip involves 2 different aircraft. I don't think LAX has the facility to transfer your bags automatically. Even if they did through check you in you would have to clear Customs and pick up your bags at LAX anyway. I will be in the same boat in April from the other direction.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
My understanding is you can't through check your bags since your trip involves 2 different aircraft. I don't think LAX has the facility to transfer your bags automatically. Even if they did through check you in you would have to clear Customs and pick up your bags at LAX anyway. I will be in the same boat in April from the other direction.
US Customs regulations generally require all passengers to pick up their bags. Business class passengers on NZ1 and NZ2 can avoid this (apparently. I have no personal experience in this).
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
US Customs regulations generally require all passengers to pick up their bags. Business class passengers on NZ1 and NZ2 can avoid this (apparently. I have no personal experience in this).
For people on NZ1 / NZ2 who are just transiting through LAX there is no requirement to collect their bags and go through customs. People just have to go through US immigration.

Business class people are permitted to go to the lounge, however this is often discouraged. Gold / Gold Elite people not flying business have to remain in the transit area, although they have access to a premium area.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
For people on NZ1 / NZ2 who are just transiting through LAX there is no requirement to collect their bags and go through customs. People just have to go through US immigration.
I'm guessing that's because the bags are in a container that never leaves the aircraft at LAX.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:53 am

Note that NZ offers NZ 6/2 and NZ 1/5 combinations on its website for sale.

Would be surprised if they made customers recheck bags, it's no different to interlining bags to another flight.

QF often do this at SIN where multiple flight join up to meet the European LHR/FRA services.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Aerosett

Would be surprised if they made customers recheck bags, it's no different to interlining bags to another flight.
You always have to uplift and redeposit bags when arriving on an international flight at LAX (and all other US airports), due to US customs requirements.

The only exception is NZ1/2 (and possibly a handful of similar through-flights by other carriers) where checked bags are permitted to remain on the plane under a special exemption.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:46 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Reason077
You always have to uplift and redeposit bags when arriving on an international flight at LAX (and all other US airports), due to US customs requirements.

The only exception is NZ1/2 (and possibly a handful of similar through-flights by other carriers) where checked bags are permitted to remain on the plane under a special exemption.
Absolutely correct. The NZ 1/5 combo requires uplifting bags and clearing customs, but there's a bag-drop area just before exiting the customs hall, so (assuming your bags are tagged all the way to Auckland) then you have an easy drop-off before heading upstairs and back through security.

I did LHR-LAX-AKL the other week on separate tickets (albeit NZ1 the whole way instead of 1 and 5) and Heathrow staff were more than happy to check me through the whole way. It wasn't without a few headaches (they couldn't issue boarding pass for 2nd sector, so that had to be collected at LAX) but it all worked out in the end.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Aerosett

QF often do this at SIN where multiple flight join up to meet the European LHR/FRA services.
That must be one of the hassles people talk about when transiting in the States. At SIN your bags can be transferred between any airlines as long as they are tagged to next destination. At HKG, bags can even be transferred to ferries to Macau or Mainland China. Would be a shame if HKG-LHR was axed.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
Absolutely correct. The NZ 1/5 combo requires uplifting bags and clearing customs, but there's a bag-drop area just before exiting the customs hall, so (assuming your bags are tagged all the way to Auckland) then you have an easy drop-off before heading upstairs and back through security.

I did LHR-LAX-AKL the other week on separate tickets (albeit NZ1 the whole way instead of 1 and 5) and Heathrow staff were more than happy to check me through the whole way. It wasn't without a few headaches (they couldn't issue boarding pass for 2nd sector, so that had to be collected at LAX) but it all worked out in the end.
How were Airpoints accrued? Would it make a difference?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:35 am

How were Airpoints accrued? Would it make a difference?
Not sure about Airpoints, but you do get a few more miles with other programmes for the NZ 1/5 combo because it posts as two separate flights rather than a single LHR-AKL one.

NZ 1/5 is also nice because it gives you enough time between flights for a shower in the NZ lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Reason077
Thanks, learn new things every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.