Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wish List for 2012

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Wish List for 2012

What would we all like to see happen in 2012, gives us a chance to offer some positive thoughts to NZ?

For me better communication is a priority.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ*E, SQPPS, SAA*G
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
What would we all like to see happen in 2012, gives us a chance to offer some positive thoughts to NZ?

For me better communication is a priority.
Drop the marketing gimmicks and improve the communication. I'm also secretly hoping for QF to offer a status match
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:44 pm

Ya I do agree better communication is needed however I don't think I want to hear any more communication regards devaluations or silly improvements.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Build a web site that is not just a glossy brochure site. The underlying booking process hasn't really changed for several years.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Wish list for 2012.....
- a focus on what their business is. Flying people from A to B.
- improvement of the benefits for Elites. After many years of being an Elite my * bookings in 2012 will be earning to another programme as Airpoints is no longer a frequent flyer programme.
- drop all the ........ (am I allowed to say this?). When introducing charging for baggage on flights be honest and say the price has gone up if you want to take a bag. Don't hide behind ........ spin.
- forget about the gimmicks that no one is asking for. Who was asking for a new card to carry overseas dollars which is not usable for lounge access (we still need the other lounge card apparently) and whose chip does not work with NZ machines (so we still need our old chips)? Another flybuys account? I already have one and don't want another?
- a focus on loyalty. None of what NZ has implemented in the last year has made me, a regular business traveller, loyal to NZ. It has had the opposite effect. The idea of loyalty is to get clients who spend money with you to come back and spend more with you. Simple. NZ has forgotten this.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Wish list for 2012.....

- a focus on loyalty. None of what NZ has implemented in the last year has made me, a regular business traveller, loyal to NZ. It has had the opposite effect. The idea of loyalty is to get clients who spend money with you to come back and spend more with you. Simple. NZ has forgotten this.
+1^
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:18 pm
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
do you reckon the peeps from AirNZ read this forum?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
In regards to Airpoints.
I am just a more than casual leisure traveler. I don't use luxury hotels or fly business class. I am not necessarily concerned with status or upgrades. Good old economy suits me fine or I prefer that, as that was just how it was/is.

But getting rewards has to be a bit easier. Compared to say other *A carriers. My maths shows a $899 GAS reward-ticket needs 8:1 if you bought a standard W or T ticket. 11:1 if you flew GAS tickets. If you want peak tickets like $1900 that goes up 120% approx from $899. While some other carriers have a 50% surcharge.

They could axe Airpoints earned on GAS tickets like many carriers from AU/NZ and ASIA.

Many people I think might think why bother given we have Jetstar and Air Asia now.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Nailed it, especially the last point
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by rayonline
In regards to Airpoints.
I am just a more than casual leisure traveler. I don't use luxury hotels or fly business class. I am not necessarily concerned with status or upgrades. Good old economy suits me fine or I prefer that, as that was just how it was/is.

But getting rewards has to be a bit easier. Compared to say other *A carriers. My maths shows a $899 GAS reward-ticket needs 8:1 if you bought a standard W or T ticket. 11:1 if you flew GAS tickets. If you want peak tickets like $1900 that goes up 120% approx from $899. While some other carriers have a 50% surcharge.

They could axe Airpoints earned on GAS tickets like many carriers from AU/NZ and ASIA.
We're isolated, and they have virtual domination of the domestic market-they know they don't have to make the system more rewarding. Virgin Australia back in the domestic market and in *A would be an absolute dream, but won't happen obviously.

Also, GAS longhauls in economy don't earn any airpoint dollars at all.

But it does seem to me that Air New Zealand aren't concerned about status loyalty and it's in their interests to do something about it.

Jetstar and Air Asia will only become concerns to NZ if they continue to devalue their product to the point that there's little tangible difference between them bar a cheaper price with the LCC's.

Last edited by Shazzadude; Dec 21, 2011 at 1:38 am
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:38 am

Before NZ implemented Airpoint Dollars the ratio was better and I even managed a return flight to Japan, a trip to AU and some domestic flights.

Thanks for the correction. So what is G K P for long haul flights? AirNZ categorise it as tier 5. I know T (tier 4) medium haul standard econ fare like LA - Vancouver. W is tier 3 is Auckland - LA or San Fran.

I just cannot get intl rewards anymore nor silver. I need 3.5 W fares to Asia return to get that. Whilst a few other *A could give me Gold.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Wish list for 2012.....
- a focus on loyalty
With the prospect of a huge tranche of company shares up for sale from its majority shareholder, NZ will continue to be motivated by short-term share price pressures in 2012.

Clearly, from the events of 2011, management sees market share growth potential in the business of low-value customers, who are the only ones that really have a choice in air travel. Unless you live in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch or overseas and only travel internationally, there's no effective competition for HVCs. So that's a sensible short-term strategy.

But, as many of us HVCs have commented, this is a very risky long-term strategy. Monopoly power can only push consumers so far.

So my wish for 2012 is an event that starts to threaten that monopoly power, like Jetstar following DJ in becoming a more full-service carrier (effectively a QF re-introduction to the domestic market, since their exit is when I sighed and knew things were going to go downhill).

That's what we need to re-focus NZ management on HVC loyalty.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:01 pm

Just to chime in
I only travel for leisure out of my own pocket. In NZ, we like to drive to Auckland or to the South Island after the Interislander. It's a great experience and a lot more flexible with the car.

So pretty much just fly international. I should not be complaining about the Airpoints programme. My last AirNZ flight was in 2004 which was a reward flight to Japan and back under the old Airpoints programme. Since that I think I got some domestic fares to Auckland for my connecting flight and a weekend trip to AU. Most of them were grab-a-seat specials. I've pretty much flew with EVA to Europe which was cheaper than the others, but EVA was still about $2,600 to EU. Most of my trips were just Jetstar. My employers have been quite easy to get annual leave. They just let you know which times of the year you can take, so you can keep an eye out for the fares. They are just so much cheaper when they had sales and the availability was quite broad compared to say G-A-S. They were also provided more frequently. Basically comes down to $AP or $800 cash per occasion and I do maybe 2 or 3 separate trips a year. My last trip was Jetstar's $100 one way to Singapore. Air Asia had a same offer too...

Particularly with Air Asia you can see all these places AirNZ does not cater for like East Malaysia, Brunei, Phillipines, Vietnam, HKG. Perhaps you can see 2 additional countries after your hub and maybe another further 2 more cities of that hub-country. Not incl tax I think, under $10SG KUL - SG or maybe $70NZ to BKK or Phuket or a $100 to Japan. Every flight of the day was available when I looked, every day of the week incl work days. If you booked in advanced.

Most of my points now come from Globalplus.

I travel alone so I haven't used checked luggage since 2004. I like to move around lots, 2-3 nights in each place to see more places.

Last edited by rayonline; Dec 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NHM
do you reckon the peeps from AirNZ read this forum?
Yes, I once asked them this but the answer was if you look at other forums people complain about all airlines. So I don't think anything here would be taken too seriously.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Yes, I once asked them this but the answer was if you look at other forums people complain about all airlines. So I don't think anything here would be taken too seriously.
Interestingly FlyerTalk is quoted as a customer engagement channel in the Air NZ Annual Report, something I haven't seen in any other airline's annual report (I've read a few, but certainly not all!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.