Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints and tax

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Airpoints and tax

I was wondering, now that the Airpoints programme is becoming ever more transparent re the value of one Airpoint being equivalent to $1, does this raise the question of whether they could be considered as taxable either as FBT or some other kind of tax?

If I fly, buy or whatever and earn Airpoints, could the IRD not argue I should declare this?

it seems to me that with other loyalty programmes (miles) you would struggle to assign a correct monetary value, but AirNZ have conveniently solved this problem.

I am in no way a tax expert so I may be way off the mark with this!!!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
ssssshhhhhhhh! The last thing we need is for the program to be even further devalued or made more complicated....
Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by birder
ssssshhhhhhhh! The last thing we need is for the program to be even further devalued or made more complicated....
Ha ha ha! I thought that might be the response here! But consider the upside, if IRD did determine the programme to be taxable Air NZ would presumably have to change it back to a more traditional mileage programme as no one wants to pay tax on their airpoints so would opt out when flying!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Ha ha ha! I thought that might be the response here! But consider the upside, if IRD did determine the programme to be taxable Air NZ would presumably have to change it back to a more traditional mileage programme as no one wants to pay tax on their airpoints so would opt out when flying!
How's that bad for NZ? It's a boon - they can finally eliminate Airpoints earning from all fares, and just turn it into a currency that has nothing to do with flying.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
US Airways were offering double miles when you purchase a certain amount of miles a month or so ago

(Purchase 65,000 miles and get 130,000 or something to that degree) all for around NZ$1300 +/- - maybe its the way for airlines (a win / win for the airline / some customers that's for sure)
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I was wondering, now that the Airpoints programme is becoming ever more transparent re the value of one Airpoint being equivalent to $1, does this raise the question of whether they could be considered as taxable either as FBT or some other kind of tax?

If I fly, buy or whatever and earn Airpoints, could the IRD not argue I should declare this?

This has already been considered and dealt with by IRD in a ruling back in 2004 - The answer is that there is no liability for FBT arising from earning or spending airpoints. You can find some more information on the ruling here.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZ_Traveller
This has already been considered and dealt with by IRD in a ruling back in 2004 - The answer is that there is no liability for FBT arising from earning or spending airpoints. You can find some more information on the ruling here.
interesting, thanks!

However, the ruling is actually not valid anymore, it expired in 2007.

in any case, my question was more around whether the changes made to Airpoints recently make it more and more like cash and whether this would change the tax treatment of them.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: NZ *G
interesting, thanks!

However, the ruling is actually not valid anymore, it expired in 2007.
Sorry, i was ment to write that it was first dealt with in 2004 but post the link to the ruling that expires in 2014, so it is still a current ruling.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
The US airlines have been quite careful not to call mileage anything resembling currency and to emphasise that miles have no cash value.

I definitely wouldn't want to be in a position receiving hundreds (or thousands) of something called "dollars" when travelling on full fare business class tickets for my employer. I hope these APD type schemes don't catch on in the US...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Joshua
The US airlines have been quite careful not to call mileage anything resembling currency and to emphasise that miles have no cash value.

I definitely wouldn't want to be in a position receiving hundreds (or thousands) of something called "dollars" when travelling on full fare business class tickets for my employer. I hope these APD type schemes don't catch on in the US...
This is still true with Airpoints unless they one day decided that you can cash out your Airpoints then I am sure IRD would be very interested.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

it seems to me that with other loyalty programmes (miles) you would struggle to assign a correct monetary value, but AirNZ have conveniently solved this problem.

WS does the same thing, and my boss (and his accountant) don't consider WS $$$ taxable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.