FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Good J seat on 744 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1279079-good-j-seat-744-a.html)

mmonster Nov 12, 2011 2:44 am

Good J seat on 744

Hi guys
Just wondering what would be the best seat on 744 J?
Is upper deck the same as lower deck?

Thanks

trooper Nov 12, 2011 3:10 am

UD is shared with Y+... not a huge drama - but means a lot more people in that "space"..

Think it's fair to say most folks like the nose best (rows 1-7).. my personal preference is for 7A or K as I am a solo traveller....

KP2006 Nov 12, 2011 5:55 am

Yes, row 7 is the best. I love the nose better as well, but there are some that love th UD better. Personal preference

Wan1dap Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

I prefer rows 3-4 in the nose. Flew on UD last time because the downstairs was full. There's no feeling of privacy and (rightly or wrongly) felt like I was being watched by the Y+'s!

QTFLYER Nov 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Are you on your own or with someone?

If on your own 7A is my seat of choice (K is fine but I am a sucker for LHS). The table that jits out from the bulkhead gives this seat a very enclosed feel.

If with a partner then 3/4AK. The width is just enough to not make you feel too far away but not so close that your ottomans are about touching as with 1.

I will miss this old bird. By far my favorite aircraft in the skies, it holds a sence of wonder..............

mmonster Nov 12, 2011 7:20 pm

thanks all, I am by myself this time and I have got 7K
Just that 2A becomes available and I wonder...
also, anyone knows what "distance between seats" mean? It is mostly 97cm (38.5") for lower deck, apart from row 15A/K and UD where it says 83cm or (33")?

Thanks

QTFLYER Nov 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 17439521)
thanks all, I am by myself this time and I have got 7K
Just that 2A becomes available and I wonder...
also, anyone knows what "distance between seats" mean? It is mostly 97cm (38.5") for lower deck, apart from row 15A/K and UD where it says 83cm or (33")?

Thanks

7K great choice. Don't worry too much about the distance between the seats, unlike Y or Y+ where pitch dictates how far you have to spread your legs, you don't have that worry in J, all seats are angled for direct asscess to the aisle and your bed will still be made up just the same way as anyone else.

You should be more worried about width of the aisle and that's where row 2 is negitive unless you are with a friend. The space between the two ottomans narrow here and you almost get a feeling of the passenger opposite almost standing in your space to get down aft. Row 2 plus side is that it is not as cramped as row 1 where ottomans are about touching and that you can get the 744 forward view a wee bit if you lean.

I would stick with 7 but personal choice

Wan1dap Nov 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Between 2 and 7 I would certainly go for 7. OT but in my view NZ J is hopeless for traveling as a couple/with friend (unless you've had enough of each other :D).

trooper Nov 13, 2011 6:25 pm

I travel with the same friend on most trips... usually 3 weeks or so in duration...

Don't see the need to sit next to each other on the flights as well!!!! :p

Hey QTFLYER.. we better liaise to make sure we are not on the same flight one day...:eek:

A brawl over 7A would be...... unseemly....;)

(I've already got that seat requested AKL-LAX 30 Nov and LAX-AKL 2 Dec... OK?:D)

Yes, yes, it's the 773.... but I STILL like 7A!!

mmonster Nov 13, 2011 7:31 pm

thanks all. 7K is great =)

i was hoping to get a seat on my LHS as i want to have a closer look at the 787 at air nz engineering hanger this morning

it was good that there was an announcement when we taxi past it
a true beuty in my eyes bu seemed on one in 1A to 5A cared... cannot comment on the other two as i cannot really see them in my seat...

had a good look at it from a distance before we turned right to take off from 23L :cool:

QTFLYER Nov 13, 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 17444062)
I travel with the same friend on most trips... usually 3 weeks or so in duration...

Don't see the need to sit next to each other on the flights as well!!!! :p

Hey QTFLYER.. we better liaise to make sure we are not on the same flight one day...:eek:

A brawl over 7A would be...... unseemly....;)

(I've already got that seat requested AKL-LAX 30 Nov and LAX-AKL 2 Dec... OK?:D)

Yes, yes, it's the 773.... but I STILL like 7A!!

Haha... I fight like a girl when its over my seat.. Anyway, we can share..! :D

The 773, I must say I have not used 7A however it is the last seat in the front cabin so not and quick to leave.

I use 4A on the 773, just middle of the road but I do like that seat. For no particular reason.

serfty Nov 13, 2011 8:10 pm

7A/7K depending on the flight. 7A for Eastbound and 7K for Westerly. Keeps the sunrise generally on the other side of the aeroplane.

mad_atta Nov 14, 2011 12:54 pm

I really like row 1 whether travelling on my own or with a companion. Anywhere in the nose feels special, I think.