FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Checking bags thru when on different interline PNRs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1271863-checking-bags-thru-when-different-interline-pnrs.html)

Joshua Oct 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Checking bags thru when on different interline PNRs

I am travelling on NZ2 arriving at 2 PM in LAX and then am on a completely different PNR and ticket departing at 11:30 PM from LAX on Continental.

I would prefer not to be stuck sitting outside of security with my baggage for 5-6 hours until Continental is willing to accept a checked in bag.

Has anyone had luck with checking a bag thru?

I would have preferred to buy a thru ticket, but airnewzealand.com.au doesn't think CLE is a valid destination.

Kiwi Flyer Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Unfortunately Air NZ won't through check bags on separate tickets.

Libenitz Oct 24, 2011 4:27 am

You can't get it through checked but because Continental is open midday you MAY be able to get them to accept your bag early. I've had luck with United doing this. USAirways used to close during midday (before merger with AWA or whatever it was). It's worth a shot to bring it up early as soon as you get there.

ieuan1 Oct 25, 2011 4:48 am

I was told at WLG when I was flying WLG-AKL-HKG-BKK on NZ and CX (with the HKG-BKK trip on a separate ticket on CX) that I could check the bag through from AKL-BKK, but this would require a separate check in of luggage at AKL. Of course, the bag went missing between WLG and AKL so I never got to find out if this was true. However, the bag did turn up at BKK a few hours latewith not too much inconvenience.

ieuan1 Oct 25, 2011 4:48 am

I was told at WLG when I was flying WLG-AKL-HKG-BKK on NZ and CX (with the HKG-BKK trip on a separate ticket on CX) that I could check the bag through from AKL-BKK, but this would require a separate check in of luggage at AKL. Of course, the bag went missing between WLG and AKL so I never got to find out if this was true. However, the bag did turn up at BKK a few hours late with not too much inconvenience.

MaryHillyer Oct 28, 2011 4:31 pm

CO/UA merged

Gee, I did this 2x this yr (in Feb & Aug). Feb: Boarding in TRG-AKL-SFO on NZ, separate PNR/ticket on CO SFO-IAH. All *A w/ CO/UA merger, so no hesitation on part of GA at TRG. Aug: ROT-AKL-LAX on NZ, separate PNR/ticket on CO LAX-IAH. Again, not a word from GA, just punched baggage tags all the way. Has something changed since then?

ajnz Oct 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Policy changed two years ago to not interline on separate tickets - I guess the memo hasn't reached TRG yet.

Xiaotung Oct 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by MaryHillyer (Post 17353178)
Gee, I did this 2x this yr (in Feb & Aug). Feb: Boarding in TRG-AKL-SFO on NZ, separate PNR/ticket on CO SFO-IAH. All *A w/ CO/UA merger, so no hesitation on part of GA at TRG. Aug: ROT-AKL-LAX on NZ, separate PNR/ticket on CO LAX-IAH. Again, not a word from GA, just punched baggage tags all the way. Has something changed since then?

Gee, I must try my luck tomorrow at SYD. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Xiaotung Oct 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Just successfully thru checked my bags at SYD all the way to Chengdu, China via AKL and HKG with the last sector on Air China on a separat ticket. That has saved me a trip to the in town check in terminal in Hong Kong. The check in agent did mention there has been a policy change recently. Can't be sure if this is a published benefit so I will just say certain pax enjoy certain benefits.

ajnz Oct 30, 2011 3:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

But that was presumably done by QF staff, rather than NZ?

Xiaotung Oct 30, 2011 3:23 am

Originally Posted by ajnz (Post 17359454)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

But that was presumably done by QF staff, rather than NZ?

Correct. But they would have been briefed by NZ? She specifically asked if CA was part of *A. Anyway, I got what I wanted. Would love to hear others' experiences.

Hubbabridge Oct 30, 2011 9:13 am

The rules say they do not have to do it, but in my experience they always do. Just remember they are doing you a favour if they do.

ajnz Oct 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 17359495)
Correct. But they would have been briefed by NZ? She specifically asked if CA was part of *A. Anyway, I got what I wanted. Would love to hear others' experiences.

Outsourced staff often get rules wrong (or just don't care). This can be beneficial in both directions.

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge (Post 17360447)
The rules say they do not have to do it, but in my experience they always do. Just remember they are doing you a favour if they do.

My experience has been: we will do it happily and with a smile -> we'll do it -> we'll do it, but we don't really want to -> we officially don't do it but we'll let you off this time and do it -> we don't do it and never will again per policy, "buy a through ticket if you don't like it".

The last has been the most common experience for me, particularly at AKL.

Since it is no longer NZ policy to do offer baggage interlining across multiple tickets, anyone who gets it is very lucky but should not be depending on it.