Star Gold Trans-Tasman Treatment

Old Sep 12, 11, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Star Gold Trans-Tasman Treatment

By way of background, I am currently a United MP 1K who travels with both SQ and NZ quite frequently. I will start by saying I love NZ -- from the product through to the service, I feel they always hit the mark.

The thing that I love is *Gold's are treated on Trans Tasman services. On approximately 80% of flights I get an personalised greeting, headphones, a newspaper, and an express pass. This gesture goes above and beyond, and is one of the main reasons I pick NZ for all of my TT travels. In fact, the way the FA's greet me -- it makes me feel like NZ loves me ever more than UA! This type of service is what gives NZ A++ marks in my book.

The thing that I hate about NZ is how I am treated the other 20% of the time -- no greeting...no headphones...no paper...no express pass. Its like they love you most of the time...but sometimes forget you are onboard.

Any reason why NZ is so inconsistent in this space? To their credit, they treat *Gold's from other airlines better than any other partner in Star. I was just wondering why you don't get that service 100% of the time?
Old Sep 12, 11, 3:33 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Probably when you board a wide body aircraft it is crewed by their long haul flight attendants who are better paid and trained. I do notice inconsistencies with their A320 crew in which case I try my best to avoid.
Old Sep 12, 11, 3:47 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL View Post
By way of background, I am currently a United MP 1K who travels with both SQ and NZ quite frequently. I will start by saying I love NZ -- from the product through to the service, I feel they always hit the mark.

The thing that I love is *Gold's are treated on Trans Tasman services. On approximately 80% of flights I get an personalised greeting, headphones, a newspaper, and an express pass. This gesture goes above and beyond, and is one of the main reasons I pick NZ for all of my TT travels. In fact, the way the FA's greet me -- it makes me feel like NZ loves me ever more than UA! This type of service is what gives NZ A++ marks in my book.

The thing that I hate about NZ is how I am treated the other 20% of the time -- no greeting...no headphones...no paper...no express pass. Its like they love you most of the time...but sometimes forget you are onboard.

Any reason why NZ is so inconsistent in this space? To their credit, they treat *Gold's from other airlines better than any other partner in Star. I was just wondering why you don't get that service 100% of the time?
You should be grateful to have a strike rate that high, I'll go out on a limb and suggest most NZ*G on here don't get a paper, N/C headphones and EP, let alone a person alised greeting >50% of the time.
Old Sep 12, 11, 3:49 am

sorry to sounds rude, can you name one airline that provide 100% great service ALL the time?

i failed to find one yet based on my experiences, and i failed to know one yet based on the flyertalk forums.
Old Sep 12, 11, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Probably when you board a wide body aircraft it is crewed by their long haul flight attendants who are better paid and trained. I do notice inconsistencies with their A320 crew in which case I try my best to avoid.
100% spot on. The LH crews are wonderful, whereas the A320 can very 'rough around the edges'..another reason to avoid the A320.
Old Sep 12, 11, 4:38 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
You should be grateful to have a strike rate that high, I'll go out on a limb and suggest most NZ*G on here don't get a paper, N/C headphones and EP, let alone a person alised greeting >50% of the time.
Exactly! I'm NZ Gold Elite and I don't get this treatment 50% of the time.
Old Sep 12, 11, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
So give the strike rate is quite low (I must just be lucky)-- what is with the inconsistency? Do they have some form of order (i.e. go for Gold Elite...then NZ Gold...then Star Gold). Depending on the amount of folks on board an based on provisions -- they will then decide how far down the pecking order they are able to go?

As per the previous poster speaking about A320 v. 767 -- I find I hardly ever get anything as a Star Gold on 767 -- but my A320 % is running around 80.
Old Sep 12, 11, 6:18 am

Programs: NZ Koru
As per the previous poster speaking about A320 v. 767 -- I find I hardly ever get anything as a Star Gold on 767 -- but my A320 % is running around 80.
That will because they only get given enough headphones/express passes for the top 20 passengers. The express passes of course goto Bussiness passengers first. Then they work down the NZ*GE / NZ*G / *G list
Old Sep 12, 11, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by MrSydney View Post
100% spot on. The LH crews are wonderful, whereas the A320 can very 'rough around the edges'..another reason to avoid the A320.
In my experience, I've found A320 crews on WLG and CHC flights to be better than those out of AKL.
Old Sep 12, 11, 3:49 pm

Going to Aussie very rarely get a thing and never had an Express pass without asking,
coming back from Aussie always get Express at check in, asked if seats we have picked are okay, but on plane nothing and never an Express for arrival at AKL - never even got Express arrival at AKL when travelling business, so for "foreign" Golds to get all the perks is a bit of a downer
Old Sep 12, 11, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zqsn5678 View Post
sorry to sounds rude, can you name one airline that provide 100% great service ALL the time?
yep, that IS rude, no need to attack to OP. he was after all extremely complimentary about Air NZ and asked a reasonable question politely.

Originally Posted by zqsn5678 View Post
i failed to find one yet based on my experiences, and i failed to know one yet based on the flyertalk forums.
OP's question was whether there was any reason for the lack of service in his experience 20% of the time. It may be that this is just "luck of the draw" as you seem to be suggesting but can this point not be made without attacking the OP?
Old Sep 12, 11, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Last week I was travelling in row 3 on a 320 to MEL. SQ *G in 3A received express pass only. In 3C I received greet, headphone, newspaper and xpress pass. (No-one in 3B^)
Old Sep 13, 11, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Just wondering if I would be better off loading my Virgin Australia Platinum member number. Would that equate me with NZ Gold Elite for the purpose of the TT alliance and onboard benefits?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: