J fare crazyness

Old Sep 7, 11, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
J fare crazyness

I love Air New Zealand and try and support it, but Ive had a short notice trip to the UK come up the week after next.
I went to book online and the prices quoted for days and flights I need was $13K. Im now flying qantas F for $12.5. Only drawback is the hassle factor of extra TT flights - but ultimately I leave a few hrs earlier and get back to homebase at 4pm instead of 11.30am. Surely this is crazy - the ANZ business product is great - but better than Qantas F??

Will let you know !!

BCE
Old Sep 7, 11, 4:08 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by bce1 View Post
I love Air New Zealand and try and support it, but Ive had a short notice trip to the UK come up the week after next.
I went to book online and the prices quoted for days and flights I need was $13K. Im now flying qantas F for $12.5. Only drawback is the hassle factor of extra TT flights - but ultimately I leave a few hrs earlier and get back to homebase at 4pm instead of 11.30am. Surely this is crazy - the ANZ business product is great - but better than Qantas F??

Will let you know !!

BCE
Make sure QF has your phone number or contact the First Lounge yourself to get a Spa session prebooked.
Also IIRC you will have access to the First Lounge on the way back to NZ even though TT is in Business Class.
Finally NZ Business Class is not worth that much IMO.
Old Sep 7, 11, 4:16 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Make sure QF has your phone number or contact the First Lounge yourself to get a Spa session prebooked.
Also IIRC you will have access to the First Lounge on the way back to NZ even though TT is in Business Class.
Finally NZ Business Class is not worth that much IMO.
funny enough I had a wee chat to air nz about their price structure today. I used lax-lhr vv as a bench mark and the price is just massive. You can, like you said fly F for the same price. On one date BA F was cheaper, thats just crazy. I travel many times per year to the uk a mix of work and family visits (expat) and I must say over the past 4 years air nz has all about priced themself out of the market.

their product is great but compaired to ek/sq or cx in relation to price, its a no brainer. Enjoy qf first lounge.. If u tx is sydney your in for a treat
Old Sep 7, 11, 6:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
Enjoy qf first lounge.. If u tx is sydney your in for a treat
Yes indeed, I was lucky to spend a couple of hours in that lounge last year (guested with a one world emerald) and it was awesome. The full restaurant service was pretty special. Unfortunately it was just the First lounge I experienced, flight was in Premium econ! (which incidentally I was pleasantly surprised with, even small things like addressing me by name, do they do that on other premium economy airlines?)
Old Sep 7, 11, 8:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G, DJ S
I was addressed by surname on my last PE flight to China. I wasn't addressed by surname on my last business class flight to LAX (although others around me were).
Old Sep 7, 11, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by Shazzadude View Post
I was addressed by surname on my last PE flight to China. I wasn't addressed by surname on my last business class flight to LAX (although others around me were).
NZ J class staff hate you.
Old Sep 7, 11, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by armattheus View Post
NZ J class staff hate you.
My June AkL-HKG in J as GE, ISM was not in a good mood throughout the flight so he's crews did not bother either, no chit chat no address by name, ISM did not care you final distention he just tried to give all pax the HK landing form without a word nor he tried to look at the manifesto.

In July PEK-AKL in J as GE, ISM was slightly better however no crews address pax by name nor anyone remeber where GEs are seated as I had a crew refused to serve me risling wine to go with my chiecken, she said risling go with dessert, I said what do dessert wine go with?
Old Sep 7, 11, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ*G, DJ S
Heh, on that same flight to LAX when I asked the flight attendant for a glass of Piper Heidsieck, I was given a deathly glare.
Old Sep 7, 11, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by zqsn5678 View Post
My June AkL-HKG in J as GE, ISM was not in a good mood throughout the flight so he's crews did not bother either, no chit chat no address by name, ISM did not care you final distention he just tried to give all pax the HK landing form without a word nor he tried to look at the manifesto.

In July PEK-AKL in J as GE, ISM was slightly better however no crews address pax by name nor anyone remeber where GEs are seated as I had a crew refused to serve me risling wine to go with my chiecken, she said risling go with dessert, I said what do dessert wine go with?
I think in J they should address pax by name... now with the inseat ordering system this should make it easy, I imagine if I order a drink via the seat, their system will say "Mr Oranjemakker in 1K wants another champagne", so easy!

Or it maybe that they come and say, "Mr Oranjemakker, you have had quite enough champagne, might we suggest you have a rest now!!!

[That has happened to me on Virgin on a Shanghai London flight after a session at the in Upperclass in plane bar with another pax I met! It was vodka that time!
Old Sep 7, 11, 10:45 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Back on topic...........how come Australia to USA J class fares are fairly competitive ( usually cheaper than QF) but the J class fares to the UK are incredibly expensive?
Old Sep 7, 11, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by zqsn5678 View Post
That is flipping disgusting of that crew member to question your choice of wine. Although I'm pretty sure its coming fueled from that in house wine consultant that's on an ego trip to make everyone have the same wine taste as her.
Old Sep 8, 11, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Originally Posted by MrSydney View Post
Back on topic...........how come Australia to USA J class fares are fairly competitive ( usually cheaper than QF) but the J class fares to the UK are incredibly expensive?
Because they are filling the planes with rev passengers at those prices? The only reason I can come up with
Old Sep 8, 11, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
That is flipping disgusting of that crew member to question your choice of wine. Although I'm pretty sure its coming fueled from that in house wine consultant that's on an ego trip to make everyone have the same wine taste as her.
i think she was just lazy to go back to the gallery and pour me a glass. ( i do have to say she probably dont remeber where all the GEs are seated in the cabin, even through shes on the J cabine for the flight)
Old Sep 9, 11, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by bce1 View Post

Will let you know !!

BCE
This is quite standard for fares from the NZ market to Europe and is particularly noticeable when NZ flights are loaded such that they are only selling C fares and not D Z or J.

The situation was particularly egregious when TG operated First non-stop into AKL as basically there was no situation in which NZ Business Premier was cheaper and often TG could be said to be universally more convenient than NZ given the absolutely world leading ground service for TG First in BKK and range of non-stop flights to European destinations. Now you have to do the connection in SYD also and that is a real pain.

KE have an F (i.e. books into F inventory) roundtrip fare to a number of European destinations for NZ$10k (but on the outbound the schedule is such that you have to stay a night in ICN. Remember you should be able to force them to pay for a hotel of their choosing as it is an involuntary forced overnight.

FYI leaving aside CZ (although innovative use of AF codeshares out of CAN can improve the product on their fares for the longhaul legs involving Europe), the lowest C cabin fares to Europe ex-New Zealand tend to be on KE - i.e. roundtrip Z fares for NZ$5.5k plus tax. KE operate non-stop out of AKL but have that enforced overnight on the outbound.

OZ also have a similar fare but you need to fly via SYD with the Tasman legs on another airline in C. OZ's new C product is not yet on the SYD flight but will be soon and double overnights are required in ICN (one each way).
Old Sep 9, 11, 5:09 pm

bce1, presumably you have arranged for your QF flights to be on the A380, an excellent hard product. I recommend the comments by Blackcloud to you also.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: