FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   *G Lounge Access Transiting in LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1255361-g-lounge-access-transiting-lax.html)

roberino Sep 3, 2011 8:51 pm

*G Lounge Access Transiting in LAX

Why does the Koru lounge in the transit area of LAX not allow me access on a *G card? One of the reasons I booked NZ is because I was *promised* when I booked that I would have access to a business lounge with food, drink and showers. Next time I'll use VS...

WLGNZ Sep 3, 2011 9:42 pm

Can you be a little more specific with your challenge on lounge access?
There is a Koru lounge in the main terminal 2 departure area at LAX accessable to *G members.
If you are travelling on NZ1 /NZ2 through LAX, unless you are in J, you will be directed to a holding area when the aircraft is refueled and serviced. You will have access to lounges in either LHR or AKL depending where you are leaving from.

MrSydney Sep 3, 2011 9:44 pm

Can you be a bit more specific so we can answer your questions. Were you flying in Y, PE or BP? I presume you were flying to either NZ or the UK with a transit in LAX?

Thanks

roberino Sep 3, 2011 9:51 pm

I am travelling in economy with my wife from LHR to AKL. We were told the main immigration was v busy so we were all herded into the transit area. There is a a small Koru lounge in the corner but we were denied access by the LD. I have BD*G. When I booked (direct with NZ over the phone) I was told that I would definitely get lounge access in LAX.

MrSydney Sep 3, 2011 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 17050736)
I am travelling in economy with my wife from LHR to AKL. We were told the main immigration was v busy so we were all herded into the transit area. There is a a small Koru lounge in the corner but we were denied access by the LD. I have BD*G. When I booked (direct with NZ over the phone) I was told that I would definitely get lounge access in LAX.

I afraid you were told the incorrect imformation - see previous posts.

roberino Sep 3, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by MrSydney (Post 17050752)
I afraid you were told the incorrect imformation - see previous posts.

By whom? The lounge dragon or the NZ booking agent? Either way, someone has got it wrong.

MrSydney Sep 3, 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by roberino (Post 17050811)
By whom? The lounge dragon or the NZ booking agent? Either way, someone has got it wrong.

The Booking Agent.

Shame as the NZ Lounge is IMHO the best on the network.

trooper Sep 3, 2011 11:08 pm

I thought the restriction on pax going to the real NZ lounge while transiting LAX was an Immigration one?

Being refused access to the "Gold" area of the "Transit Lounge" of course is a different matter... and you were incorrectly denied access... not that it is worth much of course....:rolleyes:

cavemanzk Sep 4, 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 17050992)
I thought the restriction on pax going to the real NZ lounge while transiting LAX was an Immigration one?

Yip - the its an restriction in place by US Immigration/Customs. NZ is pretty much the only airline that has been able to get this this from the US govt. Which allows them to have the NZ2/1 passengers in trassit with out going landside.

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 17050992)
Being refused access to the "Gold" area of the "Transit Lounge" of course is a different matter... and you were incorrectly denied access... not that it is worth much of course....:rolleyes:

My under standing the transit lounges gold zone, was for NZ*G/Koru only as it not a *G lounge. Could be wrong.

Rebound Sep 4, 2011 1:06 am

Business, Gold Elite and Gold off the top of my head - also i found the Transit lounge to be very good apart from no showers

trooper Sep 4, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks guys... I assumed it was *G!!!

Learn something new every day....

roberino Sep 4, 2011 1:08 pm

So it sounds like this is a NZ lounge only and not for *G. I have no problem with that, but when I booked direct with NZ they told me I could use a lounge at LAX.

Notwithstanding that, the flight overall was excellent. Decent comfort in Y (by far the best I've experience long haul anywhere in the world) and I got my shower at the superb Koru lounge in AKL's domestic terminal (thats America, showers in domestic lounges! Learn!!!). Even given the lounge access issue I would still fly NZ and they have just won my business for any flights to west coast US.

roberino Sep 4, 2011 1:21 pm

My written English is normally better than that :o 34 hours into a 40 hour trip will do that to you.

oranjemakker Sep 4, 2011 4:30 pm

hi all,

On a related question, i understand the rules regarding the use of the lounge and the restriction to business passengers, but I am still confused as to how this access is granted/ enforced. Specifically, in my case I am arriving on NZ2 in BP and continuing on NZ2 in PE: am I allowed access to the lounge for a shower or not? For example, if access is granted by some sort of pass (like an Aussie premium immigration clearance pass) that they hand out on the plane, in which case I will presumably be given one, or whether immigration look at my boarding pass on transfer.

I am not too bothered either way but more curious than anything and also so I know whether I should or should not ask when I am in transit.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this situation (and I guess the flipside, arriving in Y or PE and continuing in BP)?

thanks

Rebound Sep 4, 2011 6:25 pm

They have a list of PAX in transit that shows class/status. They have a staff member at the entrance to the business pax transit "koru lounge". As for different fare class I'm not sure how they would interpret this