Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ02 Auckland airport earliest check-in and bag drop

NZ02 Auckland airport earliest check-in and bag drop

Old Aug 30, 11, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your posts and replies.

Concerning scanning the boarding pass. Where are you scanning your boarding pass, at the lounge in order to gain entry? Or is this boarding pass scan set up to go through security?

I am arriving Auckland on a cruise ship in the early morning and taking NZ02 from Auckland to Los Angeles at 22:30 that night.

Would it be worth renting a car in downtown Auckland to do some sightseeing while I am there and dropping the car off at the airport later? Is it fairly easy to drive in New Zealand?

Thanlk you again for your help and advice.

soccer
Old Aug 30, 11, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by soccerpapi View Post

Concerning scanning the boarding pass. Where are you scanning your boarding pass, at the lounge in order to gain entry? Or is this boarding pass scan set up to go through security?

soccer
You scan your boarding pass on entry at the lounge, they have free standing self service scanners that let you in.
Old Aug 30, 11, 8:08 pm

Programs: NZ *GE
Sounds like you may need to use the luggage storage options at Auckland Airport.

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/en/...eServices.aspx
Old Aug 30, 11, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

I am arriving Auckland on a cruise ship in the early morning and taking NZ02 from Auckland to Los Angeles at 22:30 that night.

Would it be worth renting a car in downtown Auckland to do some sightseeing while I am there and dropping the car off at the airport later? Is it fairly easy to drive in New Zealand?

soccer
Yes.
Old Aug 30, 11, 9:42 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)

soccer
It depends upon what you want to see and also the issue of your luggage.

I forget if anyone answered but your BP is scanned or manually checked at the entry of the Koru Club. If you have your eticket with a barcode on the top corner you can use the barcode to gain entry.
Old Aug 31, 11, 3:26 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)

I think it's a headache to drive in the Auckland CBD. My advice would be to use our great bus network to go over the Auckland Museum, or take a ferry over to Devonport, or even a sightseeing cruise over to Rangitoto. You can go to the Skytower in downtown Auckland, shopping on Queen Street, etc.

BTW, it has probably been mentioned that you can take the airport bus in and out of the airport/city very easy and cheaply.
Old Sep 3, 11, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I believe the OP is originating at the cruise terminal, so it might indeed be easiest to rent a car in the CBD -- bags could be stored in the boot and then would have transport to the airport -- prob cheaper than a taxi, too
Old Sep 4, 11, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO_FT View Post
I believe the OP is originating at the cruise terminal, so it might indeed be easiest to rent a car in the CBD -- bags could be stored in the boot and then would have transport to the airport -- prob cheaper than a taxi, too
Thank you for the information. This is exactly the case, the ship will arrive at the Auckland cruise pier in the early morning and I will be departing on NZ02 from Auckland to Los Angeles at 22:30 that night.

I made a reservation with Hertz picking up at the downtown location and dropping it off later that evening at Auckland airport. The total price right now for a full size car is about NZD111.00 including taxes.

I believe the cruise line is offering a one way transfer for USD65.00 from the cruise pier to the airport via bus, but it would be early in the day, just after disembarkation.

I am thinking that renting a car would provide transportation, storage for my luggage and an opportunity to see a little more of Auckland and the surrounding area. Is my thinking right on concerning the benefits of renting a car for the day?

Can someone advise me the best way to get from the cruise pier to the Hertz office downtown? I am thinking a taxi would be best, but would appreciate some advice.

Thank you for all your help and advice.

soccer
Old Sep 4, 11, 5:03 pm

The one way airport run bus service from the CBD, (bus stop is a two minute walk from cruize terminal) is NZD16 (USD13.60) so I would stay away from the cruise transfer option.

NZD111 for the car gives you an awful lot of flexibilty and things to do. This is the option I would take. Identify a few things you want to do during the day (Museum, Devonport lookout, walk along St Heliers/Mission Bay, Skytower skywalk)

Getting to the hertz office depends on how much luggage you have. If its easily carried, I would walk, otherwise get a taxi.

Matt
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
OP, how early did you manage to check in? I'll be on NZ8 to SFO later this month.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: