Air NZ Long Haul Review

Old Aug 25, 11, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Air NZ Long Haul Review

Just been watching Rob Fyfe on TV, talking about Air NZ undergoing a thorough review of their long haul network, and there will be "changes".

I wonder where they are heading? I wonder what routes will face the chop?

He mentioned revenue, but I can't see how they can raise prices long haul when already NZ's prices are so high compared to other options... (e.g. PE priced at same or higher than other airlines business class), and also, expect for business premier the other cabins new products are in no way market leading...
Old Aug 25, 11, 1:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
My guess is the Asian routes
Old Aug 25, 11, 1:23 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I think it will be an extension of our favorite Tasman product onto long haul as a strategy to manage JQ's expansion.
Old Aug 25, 11, 2:53 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
I would like to see a akl-yvr-lhr route.

can you imagine the koru loung if they offerd s2s long haul?? Wow..
Old Aug 25, 11, 3:10 pm

Programs: CX, NZ
LHR route (via HKG) may be on the list I feel...
Old Aug 25, 11, 3:26 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering View Post
Yep its been struggling for awhile, I was hoping to fly this way to London next year instead of via LAX - hopefully it doesn't get cut.

Potentially could NZ codeshare with VS on the HKG-LHR sector?
Old Aug 25, 11, 3:46 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering View Post
It would be a shame to loose it. There's a few things that make ANZ very special, and the fact that it's the only airline in the world to circumnavigate the globe, is definitely kinda cool.

There has been a bit of talk about pushing Auckland as a link between Asia and South America, so maybe opening routes to South America will be on the cards.
Old Aug 25, 11, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
I think it will be an extension of our favorite Tasman product onto long haul as a strategy to manage JQ's expansion.
The 77W IFE is already setup to do so, all they have to do is add a price to the the currently free items!

Seat Only to LHR, yea not my kinda of thing
Old Aug 25, 11, 7:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I also think the flights to LAX via the few remaining Pacific Islands will be up for review and maybe the extension to KIX.
And lets not forget the real loss maker the "Tahitian Torpedo" especially as TN is doing so well!
Old Aug 25, 11, 7:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, DJ S
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I also think the flights to LAX via the few remaining Pacific Islands will be up for review
Just the Cook Islands now, and the government subsidises that route so I think it'll survive.
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Yep its been struggling for awhile, I was hoping to fly this way to London next year instead of via LAX - hopefully it doesn't get cut.

Potentially could NZ codeshare with VS on the HKG-LHR sector?
I read somewhere that increasing codesharing was one of the options, so it is quite likely.
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:23 pm

if HKG-LHR gets cut

good news for upgrade - passengers travel LHR-HKG-AKL gets higher priority then HKG-AKL.

bad new - airpoint earning rate with partner rate and no status points.
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:42 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Shazzadude View Post
Just the Cook Islands now, and the government subsidises that route so I think it'll survive.
hmm I thought there was one more.....and the CI Government cannot get anymore more from Foreign Affairs.
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
The international airline is losing $1m a week, they certainly have their work cut out to turn that around.
Old Aug 25, 11, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sdh80 View Post
The international airline is losing $1m a week, they certainly have their work cut out to turn that around.
I wonder why? Are their fares too expensive? Is the loyalty program not doing its work? Or is the LCC trans-Tasman model jeopardising the long haul routes as they are losing the Australian long haul market? I think it's a bit of all above.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: