FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Air NZ Long Haul Review (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1251616-air-nz-long-haul-review.html)

oranjemakker Aug 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Air NZ Long Haul Review

Just been watching Rob Fyfe on TV, talking about Air NZ undergoing a thorough review of their long haul network, and there will be "changes".

I wonder where they are heading? I wonder what routes will face the chop?

He mentioned revenue, but I can't see how they can raise prices long haul when already NZ's prices are so high compared to other options... (e.g. PE priced at same or higher than other airlines business class), and also, expect for business premier the other cabins new products are in no way market leading...

Rebound Aug 25, 2011 12:17 pm

My guess is the Asian routes

ajnz Aug 25, 2011 12:23 pm

I think it will be an extension of our favorite Tasman product onto long haul as a strategy to manage JQ's expansion.

QTFLYER Aug 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I would like to see a akl-yvr-lhr route.

can you imagine the koru loung if they offerd s2s long haul?? Wow..

KeepDiscovering Aug 25, 2011 2:10 pm

LHR route (via HKG) may be on the list I feel...

Rebound Aug 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering (Post 16994340)

Yep its been struggling for awhile, I was hoping to fly this way to London next year instead of via LAX - hopefully it doesn't get cut.

Potentially could NZ codeshare with VS on the HKG-LHR sector?

FlyingFilmGuy Aug 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering (Post 16994340)

It would be a shame to loose it. There's a few things that make ANZ very special, and the fact that it's the only airline in the world to circumnavigate the globe, is definitely kinda cool.

There has been a bit of talk about pushing Auckland as a link between Asia and South America, so maybe opening routes to South America will be on the cards.

cavemanzk Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz (Post 16993646)
I think it will be an extension of our favorite Tasman product onto long haul as a strategy to manage JQ's expansion.

The 77W IFE is already setup to do so, all they have to do is add a price to the the currently free items!

Seat Only to LHR, yea not my kinda of thing

Blackcloud Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm

I also think the flights to LAX via the few remaining Pacific Islands will be up for review and maybe the extension to KIX.
And lets not forget the real loss maker:rolleyes: the "Tahitian Torpedo" especially as TN is doing so well!

Shazzadude Aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 16995765)
I also think the flights to LAX via the few remaining Pacific Islands will be up for review

Just the Cook Islands now, and the government subsidises that route so I think it'll survive.

brenrox Aug 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 16994440)
Yep its been struggling for awhile, I was hoping to fly this way to London next year instead of via LAX - hopefully it doesn't get cut.

Potentially could NZ codeshare with VS on the HKG-LHR sector?

I read somewhere that increasing codesharing was one of the options, so it is quite likely.

zqsn5678 Aug 25, 2011 7:23 pm

if HKG-LHR gets cut

good news for upgrade - passengers travel LHR-HKG-AKL gets higher priority then HKG-AKL.

bad new - airpoint earning rate with partner rate and no status points.

Blackcloud Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Shazzadude (Post 16995925)
Just the Cook Islands now, and the government subsidises that route so I think it'll survive.

hmm I thought there was one more.....and the CI Government cannot get anymore more from Foreign Affairs.

sdh80 Aug 25, 2011 7:49 pm

The international airline is losing $1m a week, they certainly have their work cut out to turn that around.

Xiaotung Aug 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by sdh80 (Post 16996349)
The international airline is losing $1m a week, they certainly have their work cut out to turn that around.

I wonder why? Are their fares too expensive? Is the loyalty program not doing its work? Or is the LCC trans-Tasman model jeopardising the long haul routes as they are losing the Australian long haul market? I think it's a bit of all above.