FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   J class fares ex Au to LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1244013-j-class-fares-ex-au-lhr.html)

MrSydney Aug 3, 2011 6:49 pm

J class fares ex Au to LHR

Does anyone know where i can buy discounted J class fares to LHR on NZ???

Thanks

alex1948 Aug 4, 2011 4:45 am

Originally Posted by MrSydney (Post 16855264)
Does anyone know where i can buy discounted J class fares to LHR on NZ???
Thanks

But why would NZ sell a discounted J fare in the first place ? After all, its J product is very good and it holds a route monopoly.
Best to try one of the many indirect carriers for a J class deal.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 4, 2011 5:03 am

The only discounted J fares have seen have been those on NZ's own website...

NZ*Trout Aug 4, 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by alex1948 (Post 16857116)
But why would NZ sell a discounted J fare in the first place ? After all, its J product is very good and it holds a route monopoly.
Best to try one of the many indirect carriers for a J class deal.

AirNZ are the indirect option ex. Australia.

They may have a monopoly on direct flights AKL-LHR-AKL, but they certainly don't have a monopoly on 1-stop routes. It's debatable as to whether the direct option offers any significant advantage in this case.

In any case, yes, NZ's BP is very good. :)

MrSydney Aug 4, 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout (Post 16858371)
AirNZ are the indirect option ex. Australia.

They may have a monopoly on direct flights AKL-LHR-AKL, but they certainly don't have a monopoly on 1-stop routes. It's debatable as to whether the direct option offers any significant advantage in this case.

In any case, yes, NZ's BP is very good. :)

Thanks everyone. I have done this trip with a mix of carriers, including NZ on RTW but they seem to have vanished.

I will buy PE via LAX return to LHR ( I have family there) and use my 2 comp upgrades and the rest in AP to fly BP - I did it 2 years ago and worked like a dream. Now that I am GE the ug will/should clear straight away.

serfty Aug 4, 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrSydney (Post 16859666)
.... Now that I am GE the ug will/should clear straight away.

ONLY if R class is available.

MrSydney Aug 4, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by serfty (Post 16861542)
ONLY if R class is available.

I always check that via EF first

DCF Aug 4, 2011 10:44 pm

I do the same: PE plus upgrades.

Just be aware that as an NZ frequent flyer your points / status return for cash is usually better buying a Business Class ticket from bestflights.com.au on a different Star Alliance carrier.

The best current fares INCLUSIVE of all taxes are:
Air China = $5579
Thai to BKK, then SAS to Europe = $5799.
Thai to BKK, then Swiss to Europe = $5639.

An Air NZ Premium Economy ticket will earn 330 Status Points and 310 Airpoints.

The Asian Business Class options earn 630 Status Points and 530 Airpoints.

I typically pay around $5400 for Premium Economy on Air NZ to LHR - it makes sense only if I want a stopover at LAX.

MrSydney Aug 4, 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by DCF (Post 16862868)
I do the same: PE plus upgrades.

Just be aware that as an NZ frequent flyer your points / status return for cash is usually better buying a Business Class ticket from bestflights.com.au on a different Star Alliance carrier.

The best current fares INCLUSIVE of all taxes are:
Air China = $5579
Thai to BKK, then SAS to Europe = $5799.
Thai to BKK, then Swiss to Europe = $5639.

An Air NZ Premium Economy ticket will earn 330 Status Points and 310 Airpoints.

The Asian Business Class options earn 630 Status Points and 530 Airpoints.

I typically pay around $5400 for Premium Economy on Air NZ to LHR - it makes sense only if I want a stopover at LAX.

Thanks DCF

Air China doesn't really appeal to me.

Since I have family in LA I really prefer flying LAX then onwards to LHR to see friends in the UK and France. Plus, I really enjoy the daylight flight from LHR LAX in NZ. I usually stay a night in LA near the Airport, then home the next day.

Cheers

Blackcloud Aug 4, 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrSydney (Post 16863006)
Thanks DCF

Air China doesn't really appeal to me.

Since I have family in LA I really prefer flying LAX then onwards to LHR to see friends in the UK and France. Plus, I really enjoy the daylight flight from LHR LAX in NZ. I usually stay a night in LA near the Airport, then home the next day.

Cheers

Then I suggest the TG/UA/LH RTW option, via LAX and BKK