Staying airside at LAX

Old Jul 11, 11, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Staying airside at LAX

Hi all,

Im arriving into LAX from LAS on US Air and then onto NZ 1.

Is it possible to stay airside between T1 and T2 at LAX the same way you can at SFO? Or do you have to go through security again. I recall some terminals are connected airside and some arent.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 11, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by bce1 View Post
Hi all,

Im arriving into LAX from LAS on US Air and then onto NZ 1.

Is it possible to stay airside between T1 and T2 at LAX the same way you can at SFO? Or do you have to go through security again. I recall some terminals are connected airside and some arent.

Thanks
The answer is currently no!

With the mammoth upgrades going on to TBIT and that being connected big time with T4 (and to a lesser extent T3) it may happen in the future.
Old Jul 11, 11, 4:01 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Is there not also the immigration concerns? Transiting domestic to international?
Old Jul 11, 11, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
Is there not also the immigration concerns? Transiting domestic to international?
There are no concerns for domestic to international, other than the usual security rigamarole and terminal transfer, if required. All inbound international flights result require immigration processing and entering the US, regardless of final destination.
Old Jul 11, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
related: staying in holding pen vs lounge

Hi guys,
on a related topic, I am flying through there later this year on NZ1, coming inbound from NZ in BP and continuing to London in PE. Do you know if the exemption to business class passengers to allow them to go to the lounge would apply to me in this case, or do I have to go to the holding pen area... and on that what does the premium holding pen actually consist of?
thanks
Old Jul 11, 11, 7:22 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Hi guys,
on a related topic, I am flying through there later this year on NZ1, coming inbound from NZ in BP and continuing to London in PE. Do you know if the exemption to business class passengers to allow them to go to the lounge would apply to me in this case, or do I have to go to the holding pen area... and on that what does the premium holding pen actually consist of?
thanks
There's internet, a small selection of wine and spirits, some light sandwiches, some fruit and cheese, some other small snacks. It's nothing special - just airport concourse chairs and a few "booths" with a table so you can plug in your laptop. But the food is decent and it was pretty painless. (They do have toothbrush/toothpaste packs available upon request, and there's one set of bathrooms for the premium and economy sections to share.
Old Sep 19, 11, 9:33 pm

Any other airports like SFO that lets you stay airside?

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
The answer is currently no!

With the mammoth upgrades going on to TBIT and that being connected big time with T4 (and to a lesser extent T3) it may happen in the future.
SFO lets you stay airside (inside of security) when connecting from a domestic flight to international. Which other US airports allow this? Staying airside is a real plus when traveling with 2 whiny toddlers. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 11, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
DFW is one that springs to mind.
Old Sep 20, 11, 3:10 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Hi guys,
thanks
At present that flight arrives at T2 shortly after a flight from Italy and another European one. Last week we touched down at 1425 but took two hours to get through passport control, but fortunately were stopping over at LA for the night. But if you had tried to do this to get to the lounge you would have missed the onward flight!
Old Sep 21, 11, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bagasaurus View Post
SFO lets you stay airside (inside of security) when connecting from a domestic flight to international. Which other US airports allow this? Staying airside is a real plus when traveling with 2 whiny toddlers. Thanks!
It's not so much a matter of policy as how the airports happen to be designed, and how the airlines might be using their gates. You can't necessarily connect from a domestic United flight into SFO to int'l Air Canada, because some AC flights currently use the "A" gates which aren't connected airside to T3.

Denver is one of the better airports for connections (everything is airside) but its route network isn't very good for int'l. Chicago (ORD) has a good chance, as long as you fly int'l on United or American, otherwise you have to transit to the "M" gates outside security.

Other ones that come to mind being connected post-security are SEA and LAS. Less desirable choices are JFK and EWR.
Old Sep 21, 11, 1:52 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
There is no outbound immigration check in the US. Visitors simple leave their little visitor slip with the airline (which remits it to the gov't).
Old Sep 21, 11, 1:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff View Post
Less desirable choices are JFK and EWR.
If you're staying on the same operating carrier at JFK, you won't have to reclear.
Old Sep 21, 11, 3:10 am

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
On a related note, has anyone cleared through to have a shower when travelling J on NZ1 recently? Did they make you got through the NoS to return to airside?
Old Sep 21, 11, 3:34 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by Placebogirl View Post
On a related note, has anyone cleared through to have a shower when travelling J on NZ1 recently? Did they make you got through the NoS to return to airside?
I did it on NZ2 (so the reverse sectors) - it took 50-60 minutes to clear passport/customs and then go through security upstairs- when i got to the lounge they were taking pax down to the gate in 5 minutes time, i had a quick shower and straight to the gate. I did not do this on the return leg (NZ1) as the hassle of it all was too much.

Also note the Airline agents said we were the first plane in but it still took forever, especially re-entering through security.

Last edited by Rebound; Sep 21, 11 at 8:43 pm
Old Sep 21, 11, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I did it on NZ2 (so the reserve sectors) - it took 50-60 minutes to clear passport/customs and then go through security upstairs- when i got to the lounge they were taking pax down to the gate in 5 minutes time, i had a quick shower and straight to the gate. I did not do this on the return leg (NZ1) as the hassle of it all was too much.

Also note the Airline agents said we were the first plane in but it still took forever, especially re-entering through security.
Thanks Rebound, still a little confused, did you clear via the special Business Premier transfer dispensation (Air New Zealand has gained dispensation from US Customs and Border Protection to allow Air New Zealand Business Premier travellers access to the Air New Zealand International Lounge in Los Angeles. Invitations will be issued to transiting Business Premier travellers in-flight explaining the procedure. ) or did you clear via the normal arrivals and then go through again (or is that the same thing?)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: