Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand / Virgin Australia Trans-Tasman Alliance Information

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
Anyone tried buying trans-Tasman VA tickets with Airpoint Dollars to earn Velocity status and redeemable points? That would be pretty cool.

And I guess this glitch/loophole only works for trans-Tasman, not on other VA routes like Aussie domestic and AU-US?

Cheers

Originally Posted by Kamadan
There is a "glitch" in the system for this alliance agreement, and I have actually proved it many times over the past 2 years.

In short, if you buy a TT ticket on NZ's site, NZ's flight number but on VA metal, as long as your Airpoints number is properly attached in the system (important: shows on the boarding pass), even if you pay with Airpoints dollars, you will earn Status Points AND Airpoints Dollars for whatever fare class it was booked into.

Worked every single time for me as recently as this year in April.

Also note that when travelling on such a flight, I check in with VA, NOT NZ. So the boarding pass is a VA issued one (not sure how important it is for this glitch to manifest itself). Because on these flights I've seen people board with NZ issued/printed boarding passes.

I am sure NZ is aware of this but seems not interested in fixing.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz
Anyone tried buying trans-Tasman VA tickets with Airpoint Dollars to earn Velocity status and redeemable points? That would be pretty cool.

And I guess this glitch/loophole only works for trans-Tasman, not on other VA routes like Aussie domestic and AU-US?

Cheers
Yes I have tried and I'm afraid this does not work.

You can only pay with Airpoints to book CX on AKL-HKG and VA trans-Tasman routes as if they are NZ flights. In all other cases, you will only be able to redeem reward seats which are booked in ineligible booking classes anyway so the loophole does not exist.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
I see that tickets paid with Airpoint Dollars on CX AKL-HKG and VA trans-Tasman are booked in the same point-earning fare class as regular cash/card-paid, tickets.

It seems that CX, VA and NZ don't know/care how a ticket is paid in the point-earning fare classes, so if I change my FQTV from Airpoints to another (say CX Asia Miles or even BA Executive Club for AKL-HKG) at the airport check-in, there's a possibility I can earn BA Avios and status points instead of Airpoint Dollars and status points?

Likewise I wonder what happens if I change the FQTV on an Airpoint award ticket on VA SYD-AKL to Etihad Guest?

Not saying it's worthwhile doing so, but sometimes people just need a few status points to reach oneworld Sapphire/Emerald, etc.

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Yes I have tried and I'm afraid this does not work.

You can only pay with Airpoints to book CX on AKL-HKG and VA trans-Tasman routes as if they are NZ flights. In all other cases, you will only be able to redeem reward seats which are booked in ineligible booking classes anyway so the loophole does not exist.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by milehighclubnz

Likewise I wonder what happens if I change the FQTV on an Airpoint award ticket on VA SYD-AKL to Etihad Guest?
EY earning chart says you will need a VA marketed and operated flight or a EY/VA codeshare to be eligible to earn EY miles. Likewise you need to check the terms and conditions of other airlines such as BA. I don't know what will happen in practice though.

In the case of Airpoints redemption on VA metal and trying to earn VA points, because the alliance arrangement says NZ coded flights across the Tasman will be treated as NZ flights, eventually VA will need NZ to pass the earning information. NZ know if it's a redemption ticket or not so that have control. My own experience proved this. No points earned. VA later said not eligible when I tried to claim.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Earnings on Virgin compared with AIRNZ

Flew my first Virgin marketed TT flight and was very surprised what the difference in actuals earnings is

Auckland to Brisbane one way

AIRNZ (assuming I could pay the taxes with points) is about $200 so need to fly 200 times to get a free flight (earning 1 airpoint per flight)

Virgin its about 26,100 so 15 flights (earning 714 plus 1070 gold bonus)

and I believe a you get luggage too!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Beano
Flew my first Virgin marketed TT flight and was very surprised what the difference in actuals earnings is

AIRNZ (assuming I could pay the taxes with points) is about $200 so need to fly 200 times to get a free flight (earning 1 airpoint per flight)

Yes, if people who believe the ability to redeem Airpoints on any seat on sale is an advantage do their maths, they will soon realise it's actually a scam.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:08 am

glad you did our math and worked it out ^
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

1 APD per flight sounds harsh! But recalculations would still have VA streets ahead. I think I read that VA were now earning in more fare classes on domestic NZ. At the above earning rate NZ will be competing with not only JQ but also VA in their own backyard.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
$1 APD is the normal earn on a special Air NZ fare.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

Interesting! Also just to add, I believe taxes must be paid for in real dollars not AP.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
How many trips to get a free TT flight

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Interesting! Also just to add, I believe taxes must be paid for in real dollars not AP.
Yes very true but with virgin you can have the whole lot paid with points.
I have been hypnotized for years from airnz by the ability to get the seats on the 777 300 buying off the airnz site but now that we can't choose these seats I have now started to buy on the Virgin website site.
Quite a difference and it will get larger on the next status tier!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Last week I flew PER-MEL on VA684 in business (I fare). My AP number was on the booking, but AP didn't show...I tried to do a claim online but I got a message saying it was ineligible. According to NZ's website, they should accrue AP?

If you travel on Virgin Australia flight numbers (e.g. VA101 or VA8000) across the Tasman or on a flight operated by Virgin Australia domestically within Australia you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the earning rates in the Partner flights section of the Airpoints Dollars earning rates look up table
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by brenrox
Last week I flew PER-MEL on VA684 in business (I fare). My AP number was on the booking, but AP didn't show...I tried to do a claim online but I got a message saying it was ineligible. According to NZ's website, they should accrue AP?
I know I've earned APD on VA domestic previously in Y a long time ago. Sometimes things didn't accrue and I was too lazy to chase up for a few APD. Try contacting NZ via twitter direct message and see if they can help. Easy enough loading pics there too.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Easy enough loading pics there too.
Be careful when uploading photos of boarding passes. There is a lot of information encoded in the barcode so you should obscure it.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I know I've earned APD on VA domestic previously in Y a long time ago. Sometimes things didn't accrue and I was too lazy to chase up for a few APD. Try contacting NZ via twitter direct message and see if they can help. Easy enough loading pics there too.
Thanks - I'll send them a DM and see how I get on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.