Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POLi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
ASB and Bank Direct are now warning their customers not to use POLi because of the security risk.

https://www.asb.co.nz/story24389.aspx

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Thanks. Can I ask how you came across that story? While the link works it does not appear on the ASB search, so I wonder if it is an old warning. Weirdly, it is not dated.

Surely all those companies would not use the system if not safe?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Thanks. Can I ask how you came across that story? While the link works it does not appear on the ASB search, so I wonder if it is an old warning. Weirdly, it is not dated.

Surely all those companies would not use the system if not safe?
On the main ASB website, dated yesterday, 18 Dec:

https://www.asb.co.nz/

I'm sure they are just covering their proverbials, but what it tells me is that if I ever had fraudulent activity on my account and I had recently used POLi, I would potentially be in trouble as the bank could point the finger at that. Rightly or wrongly...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by samnz
ASB and Bank Direct are now warning their customers not to use POLi because of the security risk.

https://www.asb.co.nz/story24389.aspx

About time IMO. All the banks are trying to educate customers to not fall for phishing and fraudulent sites yet are forced to deal with something as completely bone-headed in design with opaque security as POLi.

Hopefully this will place pressure on the airline to review their asinine card fees.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

I'm going to email my bank this link and ask about their stance on POLi. Surely, if most banks find the service compromises security then NZ needs to change their payment policy.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by ajnz
Hopefully this will place pressure on the airline to review their asinine card fees.
I booked a seat only fare and paid by POLI a few months back. I had to upgrade to purchase a bag and the only method of payment was CC; to my surprise there was no CC fee for this, which is great, but seems inconsistent given their stance.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Surely it's not too far fetched an idea for banks to offer their own API hooks to large merchants like Air NZ? No more stupid screen scrapers. Too much to ask?

justakiwi
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by justakiwi
Surely it's not too far fetched an idea for banks to offer their own API hooks to large merchants like Air NZ? No more stupid screen scrapers. Too much to ask?
Not quite that simple as how does the bank know that "Joe Bloggs" from the Air NZ website is the same "Joe Bloggs" associated with a bank account at their bank? Going directly to the bank website they know this from the correct username / password being entered. However if going via the Air NZ website then unless this is requested by Air NZ (security risk unless audited by the bank) there is no way that they can get this confirmation unless Air NZ assumes the risk (which I doubt would happen).
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
This story is now on Stuff - http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...-of-POLi-spoof
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Interesting as I too thoguht POLi was a joint service venture by the banks.
Not only is there a security risk I bet POLi through the use a fake screen has breached copyright over ASB property rights.
I think this POLi service will end very soon.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ *G
POLi was rubish and ahs never worked for me either. I can't believe this ever saw the light of day.
Good riddance.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:23 pm

Interesting. ASB have posted an update saying POLi have reverted to using a previous version of the system to stop "spoofing/mirroring" their internet banking site. However they still say that using POLi is in breach of internet banking T&Cs (IMHO they should have said this a long time ago if they had concerns).

So it was a new version of POLi, which explains why this just came up yesterday. On further investigation, it is the new version of POLi that was designed to enable use on Macs and tablets/smartphones.

Response from POLi:

http://www.polipayments.com/assets/d...-12-12v1.0.pdf
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by johnnyfive

I'm going to email my bank this link and ask about their stance on POLi. Surely, if most banks find the service compromises security then NZ needs to change their payment policy.
Asked my bank [BNZ] via secure msg and their response is good enough for me to continue using POLI, especially now available for right minded [Apple] OS users.

Thank you for your enquiry about making payments using POLI.

Ian, I can confirm that using POLI from the Air New Zealand and Interislander website is not in breach of the Terms and Conditions for BNZ Internet Banking.

If you have any questions or if I can help further, please reply to this message or contact us on the details listed below.

Thank you for contacting BNZ.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by paintini
Asked my bank [BNZ] via secure msg and their response is good enough for me to continue using POLI, especially now available for right minded [Apple] OS users.

Thank you for your enquiry about making payments using POLI.

Ian, I can confirm that using POLI from the Air New Zealand and Interislander website is not in breach of the Terms and Conditions for BNZ Internet Banking.

If you have any questions or if I can help further, please reply to this message or contact us on the details listed below.

Thank you for contacting BNZ.
Hmm: http://www.bnz.co.nz/about-us/media/...ty-update-poli
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Premium POLi

Maybe AirNZ can start charging $10 for premium access to POLi that gives special access to a premium website for payment.

If you are G or GE, and you try to pay using POLi within 48 hours you can do it for free (subject to availability and operational requirements).

But don't worry, the same benefits as before will be available to you. Since it sounds like POLi had lots of existing problems, you will continue to enjoy these problems after the introduction of Premium POLi.

Everyone who selects "exit" after their payment will have to pay an additional $25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.