Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

No longer accepting Koru Club guest passes

Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
Always a pleasure to jump on this bandwagon ...

cavemanzk, I am sure your views as a 21 year old are exactly the same as the vast majority of all 21 year olds with their own access rights to lounges, but if you ever have the joy of children of your own then your view will change. The increased tolerance will be just part of your growing up.

And, for me, these sum up the entire issue. Yes, some children are badly behaved or food fussy and their parents might apply a little more control in controlled environments. And yes, some adults in lounges appear to amplifiy their mobile phone voice or drink more than others. But most people are not like that, and tarring everyone in the category with the same brush is [select your answer from a scale that starts at 'ignorant' and ends at 'unfair'].
Interesting that you point out 'tarring everyone in the category with the same brush is ignorant/unfair and yet make a comment that cavemanzk's views are "exactly the same as the vast majority of all 21 year olds with their own access rights to lounges", all in the same post.

It also doesn't exactly help to make your post sound patronizing by talking of cavemanzk 'growing up'.

For what it's worth, I have no problem at all with children in KC. The majority of them are well behaved and their parents make sure they understand its a privilege that they're allowed in there, not a right. I feel the same way about my own lounge access.

Last edited by skyglow1; Jun 12, 2011 at 4:10 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I do not see why you find those two behaviours less tolerable? It is not like the AKL Lounge actually has anywhere quiet or private to go to use your cellphone, and this is a major problem when trying to conduct business.
I don't really mind noisy children or people that think that the louder you yell into a phone speaker the better it will work. I just tune them out and get on with what I need to, but understand that some people would get annoyed if they couldn't ignore them.

In fact, personally I find some of the conversations I overheard very useful from a commercial point of view...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
In fact, personally I find some of the conversations I overheard very useful from a commercial point of view...
Some of things Ive heard make me wish I was a journalist.

Certain famous sports star having a not very 'hushed' argument with his partner. something about her finding out he was still seeing an ex.

Names, places, even dates were mentioned.

As for the kids on the lounge thing. No biggie. Keep em well behaved and make sure you get their food for them. With a disabled son of my own Im happy to cut some slack to a parent trying to keep an upset child under control.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Yip - I'm sure the media get most of there leaks from the Wellington Lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Now that there is talk of recording taxi passengers conversations as well as the raw video footage, I'm sure that might prove profitable for many taxi drivers as well
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:22 pm

Anyone taken up their 5 years Koru for the price of 4.
I looked at it and like a fool I saw that 2 years was $889 and doubled that - 2 x 2 = 4.

But no I was wrong apparently they have taken the one year cost and multiplied that by 4 and give you 5 years rather than the 2 X 2 - is it all part of the great make extra money schemes that LCC's are using today?

NZ if you want the money up front give us the 5 year deal at twice the 2 year price then you are making a gereat offer which more may take up.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: QF Gold
Is there any official confirmation anywhere that Gold can now take in two guests?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
Is there any official confirmation anywhere that Gold can now take in two guests?
Well the website has been updated for koru members, but not gold. I just asked a lounge attendant and she confirmed gold members can bring two guests in^
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: Koru
I see this change to dispense with the guest passes as a revenue gathering exercise. As a Koru member I could take three guests into the Auckland domestic lounge (providing I had guest passes of course.) Now I can take one guest for free. If I wanted to take the other two guests that would be no problem - just pay some money at the door. That fee is currently $25 per person. That's an extra $50 into the coffers of Air NZ. 'Nice little earner' to quote a television character.

As for children in the Koru. I am childless and I don't mind children in the lounges. I have never had an occasion yet when a child was unruly or out of control. I imagine the child/children have been read the riot act prior to accessing the lounge and are told not to treat the area like certain hamburger establishments.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
Well the website has been updated for koru members, but not gold. I just asked a lounge attendant and she confirmed gold members can bring two guests in^
When I asked an AKL dom lounge attendant, she said that it was Gold+Koru who could take 2 guests in, and Gold Elite+Koru who could take 6 guests in, and Gold could still only take 1 guest in?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by skyglow1
When I asked an AKL dom lounge attendant, she said that it was Gold+Koru who could take 2 guests in, and Gold Elite+Koru who could take 6 guests in, and Gold could still only take 1 guest in?
Not a short, blonde and kinda sticky lady was it....I asked her a few weeks ago and 3 minutes later after flicking through her bits of paper she couldn't give me a definative answer; wasn't till she asked her colleague. I would ask an attendant again today, but I'm not convinced I'd get a definative answer.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Not a short, blonde and kinda sticky lady was it....I asked her a few weeks ago and 3 minutes later after flicking through her bits of paper she couldn't give me a definative answer; wasn't till she asked her colleague. I would ask an attendant again today, but I'm not convinced I'd get a definative answer.
Nope it wasn't. She seemed pretty on to it and wanted to make sure she had her facts straight with the new changes. Beats me

Originally Posted by stephenp
I see this change to dispense with the guest passes as a revenue gathering exercise. As a Koru member I could take three guests into the Auckland domestic lounge (providing I had guest passes of course.) Now I can take one guest for free. If I wanted to take the other two guests that would be no problem - just pay some money at the door. That fee is currently $25 per person. That's an extra $50 into the coffers of Air NZ. 'Nice little earner' to quote a television character.

As for children in the Koru. I am childless and I don't mind children in the lounges. I have never had an occasion yet when a child was unruly or out of control. I imagine the child/children have been read the riot act prior to accessing the lounge and are told not to treat the area like certain hamburger establishments.
Except that Koru members were only supposed to be allowed the use of one guest pass at any one time.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Except that Koru members were only supposed to be allowed the use of one guest pass at any one time.
On domestic we where allowed to use 3 at once
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
On domestic we where allowed to use 3 at once
I stand corrected. Was looking at the international part sorry
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
That is how the those who are both *G and KORU were to be treated according to the KC team explanation to me.

*G - 1 guest
KORU - 1 guest
*G and KORU - 2 guests, but only for a short (undefined) period
(in acknowledgment of the short notice provided by AirNZ)

I raised this issue as wife (KC just recently expired) and two teen sons were travelling. The rule change complicated access. I was initially advised that since I was both KORU and *G I could guest 2. This still left me with 1 person with no access.

The staff, noting wife's recent KC expiry, suggested transferring my remaining KC membership to her - which was an excellent solution. My assessment is that was a pragmatic solution to our circumstances, but which was probably on the bounds of the internal 'rules'. From my viewpoint, fantastic attitude and thoughtful service (but you'd expect me to say that!)

Cheers, TK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.