Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Payment Fees rise again

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by ajnz
Not sure about the problems with Australia: I've just spent a week in Melbourne and used less than $80 cash (which is what I arrived with). I do have an Australian EFTPOS card but that wasn't used - just Amex and Mastercard. Yes there were a few places where cash was the only payment method, but the same can be found in NZ if you don't have an NZ EFTPOS card. Since I don't typically carry my NZ or Australian EFTPOS cards with me when I'm in either country, I do resort to cash (yay for banks with free international withdrawals) and find that in a typical week it's <$50 spent in cash/EFTPOS only locations.
Wow that's lucky for you! Was in SYD earlier this year and every single pub/nightclub I went to only accepted cash regardless of how small/big they were. Restaurants were hit and miss. Small businesses were cash-only. I easily spent >$50 a day cash on food/drinks while I was in SYD simply because the places I went to only accepted cash...

Perhaps MEL is different in this regards -- sounds like they're more on par with the likes of AKL/WLG/CHC.

- James
Old May 15, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: NZ Koru
The bar I went to last weekend in the Rocks all took creditcard, well they would need to when they sell wine at $41/bottle.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ sort of charges extra to select a seat on the TT aswell, Its $50 to buy up to the works to be able to select a seat without status.

Also on domestic it can range from $40-100 more to purchase a fare that can select a seat
Hate to disagree cavemanzk but my understanding is that regardless of status you have to buy minimum works fare to get seat selection at time of booking, so in fact they charging all passengers regardless of status for seat selection $50 (seat to works diff).
Old May 15, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by KiwiSurfer
Wow that's lucky for you! Was in SYD earlier this year and every single pub/nightclub I went to only accepted cash regardless of how small/big they were. Restaurants were hit and miss. Small businesses were cash-only. I easily spent >$50 a day cash on food/drinks while I was in SYD simply because the places I went to only accepted cash...

Perhaps MEL is different in this regards -- sounds like they're more on par with the likes of AKL/WLG/CHC.
I'm back to MEL tonight after a weekend in AKL - unsurprisingly no cash needed in AKL (other than what my pickpockets-in-training, sorry, nephews lifted...), so will benchmark again, and against SYD next week as well. It's been a while since I've been in SYD but I don't recall having a terribly hard time using plastic other than in food court type scenarios, some of which can be fixed with an EFTPOS card.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Hate to disagree cavemanzk but my understanding is that regardless of status you have to buy minimum works fare to get seat selection at time of booking, so in fact they charging all passengers regardless of status for seat selection $50 (seat to works diff).
Nope G/GE/Koru can still select a seat on a Seat Only fare, they just can't select a SpacePlus seat.

I have plently of Seat Only booking that Im able to select a seat for, this has been confirmed in a letter sent to all HVC's about 2 weeks ago.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:37 pm

Exclamation And it goes up again

Effective 15 December the CPF in NZD per sector will be:

NZ$4 domestic NZ
NZ$6 for shorthaul (no change)
NZ$17.50 longhaul
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by ntddevsys

NZ$4 domestic NZ
NZ$17.50 longhaul
Did fares from AU go up? It's already pretty irritating to get charged $25 plus whatever foreign exchange fees my bank charges, just because my trip orginates in AU.

A $3k Y+ fare @ 3% + $25 fee is hitting $115 in fees.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Joshua
Did fares from AU go up? It's already pretty irritating to get charged $25 plus whatever foreign exchange fees my bank charges, just because my trip orginates in AU.

A $3k Y+ fare @ 3% + $25 fee is hitting $115 in fees.
Get a better bank and some of those fees will be eliminated.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by ntddevsys

NZ$4 domestic NZ
NZ$17.50 longhaul
This looks to me like it is becoming a revenue gathering activity, with very regular increases.

We certainly haven't had any changes to our merchant fees for quite some time.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by NZ_Traveller
This looks to me like it is becoming a revenue gathering activity, with very regular increases.

We certainly haven't had any changes to our merchant fees for quite some time.
Exactly, before we know it it'll be $5, a nice round number.

The only rationale for it would be if it was percentage based and due to the fares going up so much, that has incurred a greater transaction cost.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:40 pm

One suddenly wonders why that smart new card isn't excluded from these fees.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
One suddenly wonders why that smart new card isn't excluded from these fees.
Or any of the NZ branded Credit Cards
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
Exactly, before we know it it'll be $5, a nice round number.

The only rationale for it would be if it was percentage based and due to the fares going up so much, that has incurred a greater transaction cost.
From AIRNZ Help Site:https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answe...2692/related/1

'Why has Air New Zealand added a Card Payment Fee? Answer:
Credit card companies charge Air New Zealand for transacting credit, debit and charge card payments and we are looking to recover some of this cost.'

Indeed, their argument would hold water if the fee was percentage based, cuz for most GAS fares the current rate amounts to 4%-8% of the transaction. Aren't most merchant fees between %1-%3?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by johnnyfive

Indeed, their argument would hold water if the fee was percentage based, cuz for most GAS fares the current rate amounts to 4%-8% of the transaction. Aren't most merchant fees between %1-%3?
It's ancillary revenue, ie. it's revenue. Otherwise it should be built in the fares. The government should really ban airlines from charging credit card fees like in the US.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
From AIRNZ Help Site:https://airnz.custhelp.com/app/answe...2692/related/1

'Why has Air New Zealand added a Card Payment Fee? Answer:
Credit card companies charge Air New Zealand for transacting credit, debit and charge card payments and we are looking to recover some of this cost.'

According to our consumer watchdog the NZ reasoning for the feee is not misleading, yes it is fine to say you are charging a set fee because that is what you get charged even though it is a complete and utter lie - yeah go Consumer yo da man

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.