Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The use of noise cancelling headphones

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:52 am
Original Poster

The use of noise cancelling headphones

When flying domestic, I get told to take off my noise cancelling headphones during take-off/landing but noticed when flying international I don't get asked and notice other people wearing them.

Is that a double standard or are the attendants not bothering to police it on International flights?

I've noticed that music is available on the jackpoints in the international flight during take-off/landing, so is that why?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue relates to the electronics which cause the headphones to "cancel" noise, not the use of headphones to listen. By way of example, UA (when the system works) pipes music virtually gate-to-gate and allows pax to listen. If one has headphones which have any form of electronics, they must be "off." Makes the music kind of muffled, but it's not the carrier.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I was always asked to take the headphones off I was plugged into the 737 sound system, some 737 still had the audio functions working. When I indicated that I was not using an individual electronic device they were ok with it. I guess they think that you are using a portable electronic device and want you to shut it down.
IMO the electronic 'noise' from the NC electronics would not be strong enough to interfere with the aircraft's electronics, and some airlines eg. JQ allow you to use them, as JQ has the audio feature enabled on their planes and as you point out NZ International A320 allow you to use then Gate to Gate.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:34 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
I checked our Cabin Safety Manual, and here we go:

Portable Electronic Devices Permitted for Use at Any Time
• Noise cancelling headsets. (Must not be connected to PED during
taxi-out, takeoff and landing.)

Then, a few bullet points down..

• Passengers’ own head-set that is not plugged into a power source or is
turned OFF if battery powered.

I think this could be clearer!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NZ advertises gate to gate IFE for international and hands out noise cancelling headsets to premium passengers.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:08 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
The context makes me think that the NZ-issued headsets aren't what is being referred to in the manual.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by nz_crew
The context makes me think that the NZ-issued headsets aren't what is being referred to in the manual.
Agree.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:57 am

Our policy at Qantas, and imagine it is along the same lines here is that noise cancelling headphones are OK, be it your own or the airline ones, provided you are connected to the aircraft system. That way you can hear any announcement that is made.

If you wish to use it for your own device, then you must have the power off during taxi, take-off and landing.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by eoinnz
Our policy at Qantas, and imagine it is along the same lines here is that noise cancelling headphones are OK, be it your own or the airline ones, provided you are connected to the aircraft system.
My understanding is that NZ do not have the requirement I have bolded.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: NZ, QF
I had the same experience as the OP. I almost always listened to songs or podcast from my ipod nano onboard, so it seems consistent with what nz-crew has mentioned on her/his first point (i.e. connected to PED).

However, why is it only on domestic flights but not international flights? Also, does it mean that cabin safety manuals are different for domestic and international flights (that's why cabin crew didn't request turning off the NC headphones)?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering
Also, does it mean that cabin safety manuals are different for domestic and international flights (that's why cabin crew didn't request turning off the NC headphones)?
Manuals differ for each aircraft type.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
With over 100 international flights in the last year I have only been asked twice to take off my Bose NC headphones - Once on Qantas OZ domestic and the other two weeks ago on Aer Lingus. Never had a problem on TT flights or on the handful of NZ domestic flights flown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.