Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ/Virgin Atlantic via Shanghai vs. NZ via HK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Any opinions on the pros and cons of flying NZ/Virgin Atlantic through Shanghai to London compared to the usual NZ flight through Hong Kong?

The current sale fare is about $700 cheaper to take NZ to Shanghai and then Virgin compared to HK, and even greater savings compared to LAX. (Why LAX would be favourable is beyond my comprehension.)

I am NZ*G, but I don't think that makes a load of difference. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion who has flown Virgin or transited through Shanghai.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
You will earn APD (where eligible) but not Status Points. I looked at this recently too but needed a night flight outbound so ruled Virgin Atlantic out.

The A340-600 offers a great product in Y/Y+/Business
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
Originally Posted by Rebound
You will earn APD (where eligible) but not Status Points. I looked at this recently too but needed a night flight outbound so ruled Virgin Atlantic out.

I was under the impression that you'd get status points for the Air New Zealand sector to Shanghai but not the Virgin Atlantic sector.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by sdh80
I was under the impression that you'd get status points for the Air New Zealand sector to Shanghai but not the Virgin Atlantic sector.
NZ sectors yes, Virgin Atlantic Sectors no.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebound
Not in Y it doesn't, and in Y+ it is variable.

Upper Class hard product on VS on A346s is marginally better than NZ (1-1-1 cabin offers more privacy at the seats that face the partition) and the LHR Clubhouse is always worth a visit (with the T3 express checkin and security).

VS in Y+ has better seats than NZ on the 77Es (2-3-2 on A346) in that they are marginally wider, although seat pitch is a little less. However you need to avoid the rows in the middle between bathrooms that regularly get invaded by Y passengers. My other half flew this once and never got any sleep. VS Y+ soft product is significantly inferior to NZ. I'd fly VS in Y+ only if I knew I could avoid the back three rows.

VS in Y is dire. 31" pitch (used to be 29-31). Service largely by young WAG wannabes who primarily get animated if they find an attractive male passenger they can entertain at the other end otherwise they ..... in the galley and talk doggerel not caring how loud they are. Many of the Y seats have half of the footspace taken up by the IFE boxes.

I have flown once in VS in Y, LHR-HKG and never again. NZ seats are wider, with more seat pitch, more comfortable contouring and cushioning and less floor space taken up.

The status points issue has already been mentioned and is entirely valid, if these matter to you, VS will not offer them.

In short, I'd fly VS Upper Class no hesitation, Y+ if the money mattered more than status points, and avoid Y.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:48 am

Programs: NZ*GE
I agree with most that is posted above. Later this year I am doing AKL to Shanghai then short hop on some carrier yet to be organised to HKG (v annoyed that Shanghai Airlines left *) - just so I can continue on AirNZ to LHR to get my status points that will see me keep GE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.