777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old Mar 12, 11, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by runtothehills View Post
hey silly question, but where can i find details of when the 777-300 flies.

I thought it was AKL-LAX only, but sounds like some of you are getting it to MEL so when is that exactly sat/sun only?
In late April I'm booked in PE on NZ123 and my ticket shows it to be a 773 on that Saturday morning. Looking forward to experiencing the difference as I'll be connecting off NZ288 from PVG which is a 772. (Will have flown into PVG the day before in one of AC's versions of the pod, though have always preferred NZ's.)
Old Apr 5, 11, 3:38 am

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
I've received a letter a couple of weeks ago asking for feedback on my recent flight on the new aircraft in PE. My main concern was the lack of leg room (I am 1.96 m). Here's part of the reply I received:

"[...] We have listened and taken all the feedback we have received around leg room in Premium Economy. We are currently evaluating all feedback and are looking at many different options. As this is process is time consuming in the interim we have now placed in all seats on board the aircraft an information card with pictures and text which demonstrates the many different seating, sleeping and leg positions you can use which you would not get in a traditional seat. We are currently producing a short inflight video to demonstrate the best way to use the new space in Premium Economy to obtain the most comfortable sleep and seating positions. [...]"
Old Apr 5, 11, 4:14 am

Programs: GE
Rows being ripped out

Air NZ are now taking a row of PE out of the 773 due to cramps and paxs not being able to get out heaps of complaints the refit is starting as the aircraft come in for their scheduled service
Old Apr 5, 11, 11:33 am

Programs: AA CK 7mm, Bonvoy LT Plat, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Wonder if I can get a refund on the "premium" I paid? I ended up going to hospital to investigate a potential blood clot two days after AKL LAX in ANZ PE's new seat. I have never been that uncomfortable in an airline seat. No exaggeration. I have flown DXB to AKL in Y, and been happier. Save your money. PE has no P.

"Every seat is a bulkhead". I will stick with Qantas until this changes.
Old Apr 5, 11, 2:40 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by pacpro View Post
Air NZ are now taking a row of PE out of the 773 due to cramps and paxs not being able to get out heaps of complaints the refit is starting as the aircraft come in for their scheduled service
Wow, that is a big move. Can anyone else verify this?
Old Apr 6, 11, 1:44 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Has been discussed in another thread in the last day or so.
Old Apr 6, 11, 3:02 am

Well you couldn't make either of these up.
Originally Posted by MikeAKL View Post
We are currently producing a short inflight video to demonstrate the best way to use the new space in Premium Economy to obtain the most comfortable sleep and seating positions. [...]"
Originally Posted by rowingman View Post
Wonder if I can get a refund on the "premium" I paid? I ended up going to hospital to investigate a potential blood clot two days after AKL LAX in ANZ PE's new seat. I have never been that uncomfortable in an airline seat. No exaggeration.
Old Apr 7, 11, 6:53 pm

Who said you shoudn't cry over spilt coffee
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/vi...lery_id=117806
Old Apr 10, 11, 2:41 pm

Skycouch or PE for business travel

A (hopefully) quick question I hope someone can help me answer. I am flying LAX-LHR in mid-May for a client who will not pay for BP. I can do Y+ but given the horror stories I've read I'm considering going for a Skycouch.

I'm 6'5" and find Vigin's PE to be...ok, but far from comfortable. I typically sleep curled up on my side, so I'm wondering if the length of a Skycouch might not be a problem for getting a few hours sleep.

Any thoughts? Should I go for the Skycouch or look to another airline's PE product?
Old Apr 11, 11, 3:06 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
For the skycouch you have to purchase two seats and pay half the price of the third one.

I got to try the PE seats last week at an NZ open day. I'm 6'0 and I found the lack of leg room disturbing.

I do understand that NZ may be removing one row of PE seats, which will help a little. Due to the construction of the seats though, they are all effectively bulkhead seats. You can't get your legs under the seat in front of you.
Old Apr 11, 11, 3:13 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
Oops, posted twice.
Old Apr 11, 11, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by davidrnz View Post
I got to try the PE seats last week at an NZ open day. I'm 6'0 and I found the lack of leg room disturbing.
I do understand that NZ may be removing one row of PE seats, which will help a little.
But even if confirmed, would the row of PE seats be removed as early as next month ? Or would NZ allow longer for customer evaluation ?
Old Apr 11, 11, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Another post in the forums speculated that if it was going to happen it would happen when the 773's come in for their A-Check, and given AKL-LAX-LHR is daily now (that would require 3 773's right?) then work could not start until a 4th 773 arrives?

*shrug*
Old Apr 11, 11, 2:57 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Another post in the forums speculated that if it was going to happen it would happen when the 773's come in for their A-Check, and given AKL-LAX-LHR is daily now (that would require 3 773's right?) then work could not start until a 4th 773 arrives?

*shrug*
If the situation is really dire NZ has spare 747 that they could sub. Would require compensation for those who bought the Skycouch and flew on the "old undesirable" "Queen of the Skys".
Old Apr 11, 11, 11:39 pm

I'd be authorized to pay the price for the full Skycouch row -- so I'd essentially have it to myself (it would still be less that VA's PE ticket.)

So my question that I'm hoping to get some guidance on is...would going for the Skycouch LAX-LHR be a more comfortable bet overall than PE on VA?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Flying is the one time I regret being this tall.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: