777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old Feb 15, 11, 7:08 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by nz_crew View Post
I agree that aiming as high as possible was good and I'm glad you enjoyed the food!!
I did indeed enjoy the food, infact enjoy probably isn't strong enough - stunned at how good it was is probably closer to the mark . I mentioned before, it was no different from an excellent bistro on the ground. Plating and presentation, taste, quantity, temperature, everything just like on the ground. It seems odd in hindsight but I think I just assumed food on a plane had to be somehow different, maybe because of the altitude or something. But that's obviously wrong. I especially noticed the difference as I had 3 more long hauls that week, NZ and SQ, and even the best dishes suddenly tasted like something I'd reheated in my microwave. The new service has raised the bar and it's very hard to go back.

Re the changes - it's definitely a shame about the salads, as surfty says. I also had this as my starter, as did a few around me. My guess is the salads were amongst the more time consuming items to prepare, hence the need to pre-plate, hence a need to decide whether main or starter, hence a decision to make it a main. All I can say is out of all the effort and work going on behind the scenes, the cesear salad as a starter is one of the things that remains in my mind as a standout part of the F&B offering and I can only encourage NZ to reintroduce this in the next round of tweaks, or at least let pax order the main as a starter.

It's a shame about the tasting plate - it was on my list to try, and I think there is room for high end dishes amongst the comfort food options.

Lack of pre-flight drinks in PE is really surprising - is this really the case? Is there really nothing (no champers, oj or water) or just no cocktails or something that had been added to the service?

Anyway just to step back again - the new inflight offering is absolutely world class. Shortly after my NZ 77W flight I had my first ever flights in SQ J (77W MAN-MUC-SIN and A380 SIN-MEL) and there was no comparison - while SQ service was excellent, NZ's is just as good and in terms of comfort, food and cabin ambience the new product is miles ahead.

One last point - having spoken with quite a few longhaul crew on other NZ flights, there seems to be a seam of negativity towards the changes - usually from crew who have been flying for many years, which is really surprising. If any of these crew happen to be reading, I think your argument goes something like - we have a great product already, we're very good at what we do, one of the first meal services took 5 hours because they want to make it like a restaurant which is mad, we'll lose our good and hard-earned reputation, and why change something that is working pefectly well. As a good customer of NZ who has experienced the new product, I can only say this worry is misplaced, perhaps even unhelpful, and I hope doesn't take any further hold. The new product is excellent, AirNZ are on to a winner - just as when Ralph Norris decided that flat beds not angled "lie flat" was the way to go, even though it wasn't the norm. It may not be obvious given the awards etc but the existing product is tired and needs to change. The new product is awesome- and it's NZ who are doing it, not Emirates or Qantas or Singapore or any of the others.

Ok well that's several posts and a note I've been meaning to write to Rob Fyfe (and still will) all rolled in to one, thanks again nz_crew for the info re the service changes and serfty let's start a campaign to bring back those salads

Last edited by Zaco; Feb 15, 11 at 7:14 am
Old Feb 15, 11, 11:05 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by Zaco View Post
Lack of pre-flight drinks in PE is really surprising - is this really the case? Is there really nothing (no champers, oj or water) or just no cocktails or something that had been added to the service?
I agree on this - for the price of premium economy, passengers are going to expect the typical champagne/juice/water offering upon boarding.
Old Feb 15, 11, 3:03 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
Zaco, given the amount of training, investment in new equipment, and increased spend on the F&B offering I'm thrilled you were that enthusiastic about it. Great news and I bet Rob Fyfe will be over the moon to hear that from you.

To clarify, yes pre-takeoff drinks have been removed from PE on the 773. I can understand why - 2 crew to serve 50 passengers in addition to doing all the pretakeoff galley prep and checks while 242 Y passengers are trooping through the cabin would be extremely difficult - but I agree it is a shame. (the bottle of water will still be preset at the seat).
Old Feb 15, 11, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The lack of preflight drinks is not a deal breaker but along with the contortion required to try to sleep in the new seats longhal I won't be rushing to travel in this cabin.
Old Feb 18, 11, 9:45 pm

As of Feb 13 several service changes went into effect, as a result of passenger feedback on the first couple of weeks of longhaul sectors. The feedback has been excellent about the food but the length of the service (especially in Y) has been commented on.

BP has very minor changes, mostly 'behind the scenes' stuff that is now preprepared to speed up the service. A couple of unpopular menu items were also replaced.

PE will move to a fullsize tray based service and pretakeoff drinks will be removed (and more pre-assembly behind the scenes).

Y has seen the most drastic changes - the premeal bar service with fresh snack (a fritatta) has been completely removed, and soup has been removed as a meal option. (And again many behind the scenes changes).
Thanks for the information nz_crew. We all appreciate it.

Could you provide further information about these very minor changes to the Business Premier service?
Old Feb 19, 11, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by ntddevsys View Post
Thanks for the information nz_crew. We all appreciate it.
Agree.

Does anyone have a menu that they could share from the any of the various cabins? Interested to see what the different options were/are.
Old Feb 19, 11, 7:33 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
ntddevsys,

Aside from all the behind the scenes stuff (scintillating information like "hot towels from M1 to F4'), the changes are:

Chef’s selection plate deleted from the NZ6 menu
Turkey sandwich deleted from the NZ5 menu
Main salads now pre-plated and not available as appetizers
Steak now comes with gratin potatoes and green beans.
Kumara has been deleted from the menu
NZ6 soup garnish - lentils removed
Dessert/cheese/fruit is now pre-plated
Now two choices of yoghurt on NZ6.
Old Feb 20, 11, 1:12 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Dang. I like turkey sandwiches and kumara. Although not at the same time...
Old Feb 21, 11, 2:11 am

ntddevsys,

Aside from all the behind the scenes stuff (scintillating information like "hot towels from M1 to F4'), the changes are:

Chef’s selection plate deleted from the NZ6 menu
Main salads now pre-plated and not available as appetizers
Steak now comes with gratin potatoes and green beans.
NZ6 soup garnish - lentils removed
Dessert/cheese/fruit is now pre-plated
Now two choices of yoghurt on NZ6.
Thanks nz_crew, very reassuring. That example of scintillating information is also very interesting.

Thank you.
Old Feb 21, 11, 3:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
In terms of economy seating which would be better?

1. 34 AB/JK
2. 35 AB/JK
3. 48 ABC/HJK
Old Feb 21, 11, 10:37 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
In terms of economy seating which would be better?

1. 34 AB/JK
2. 35 AB/JK
3. 48 ABC/HJK
In order of (personal) preference

35AB
35JK
34ABJK

34 has tray and PTV in armrest. 35 has pax in front who might recline.
Old Feb 22, 11, 1:42 pm

Programs: AirNZ *G, HHonors, Hertz Gold, OmniHotels Black card
hey silly question, but where can i find details of when the 777-300 flies.

I thought it was AKL-LAX only, but sounds like some of you are getting it to MEL so when is that exactly sat/sun only?
Old Feb 22, 11, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
In order of (personal) preference

35AB
35JK
34ABJK

34 has tray and PTV in armrest. 35 has pax in front who might recline.
Thanks KF
Old Feb 23, 11, 12:42 am

While my personal preference tends to be to stay home, I would reverse Kiwi Flyer's suggestion and prefer 34 to 35. Usual bulkhead/Exit row v. second row arguments.

runtothehills, it is loaded into the schedule. For example it is operating NZ135/136 AKLBNEAKL this Sunday.
Old Mar 12, 11, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Flew 772 Business on Monday and it had an additional much thicker mattress pad in it as well as the older one. I've not seen this before, although last 772 Business flight was in November.
Yet curiously, NZ7 11MAR did not have the new thicker mattress pad. The flight I wrote about was NZ8, so go figure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: