Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 ER mini-reviews

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by ajnz
There is little alternative: the crew cannot reconfigure the aircraft (and especially not while in flight, although that would be entertaining).

If you don't like the lack of space (I don't), don't fly it [in the cabin class you dislike]. I flew the aircraft, unimpressed by it, and will redirect spend accordingly - either to competitive carriers in Y or to alternate cabins.
Yes - after they've flown it once. Most people won't know that their space is dramatically reduced until they take one flight on it. So on that first flight, I think they have a right to be angry. Of course, I do agree that taking it out on flight attendants is a poor choice - it's certainly not their fault!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Some observation about the AVOD:
  • Great ^ (When it works)
  • Quite responsive (other than Airshow/Map)
  • The Airshow/Map has 4 viewing options that can be individually selected, or a rotation of these.
  • The Airshow/Map does take some time to load, unlike most other operation.
  • When watching a TV show/Movie, one can open a 'pop up' Airshow/Map window. This shows the rotation view. On closing the pop-up it returns to the show.
I'll post more if I think of anything to add.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some thoughts from the 77W open day (contrast with the launch).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will note the "minor" enhancements to the Business product have turned it from a marginally average offering to a leader.

The Mattress is far softer (just about any thing would have been better), the 'doona' works really well.

All they need to do is to add PJ's.

(The amenity kit is ... meh ... )
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:35 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by serfty
I will note the "minor" enhancements to the Business product have turned it from a marginally average offering to a leader.
Hi serfty - absolutely agree. It looks like BP was actually the big winner out of all the changes. Fabulous product. BTW reading through this thread it appears we were on the same flight.

I'll reserve judgement on PE until I've flown it - I did try out the seats and they were comfortable, although I didn't spend much time in them. For those worried about legroom I'd go for the first row - the middle pair especially have a lot of legroom - more than in BP.

Economy seemed fine - it looks more crowded as more of the floor area is taken up with seats rather than aisle, but the aisle is still fine (eg I could walk down it without touching the sides - I expected to walk sideways given the horror stories). All my personal travel is economy so expect to spend a fair amount of time here unless upgrades come through. Would be great to hear how the service flow is structured, although FT prob isn't the place to get the lowdown on Y.

One thing that did strike me in Economy was that the seats were much larger then they look on the photos. I think it's perspective as the PTVs are so big - i.e. they make the rest of the seat seem small until you see it live.

Great to see that the escape slides are built into the doors - the economy exit rows have no protruding door coverings, and all have great legroom.

There were dozens of small enhancements I noticed throughout the flight - don't want to spoil the surprises for those of you yet to travel, but there has definitely been a lot of thought put in to this cabin. The new service concept in BP is wonderful. Looking forward to many more flights on these planes.

Cheers, Zac
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Zaco
I'll reserve judgement on PE until I've flown it - I did try out the seats and they were comfortable, although I didn't spend much time in them. For those worried about legroom I'd go for the first row - the middle pair especially have a lot of legroom - more than in BP.
I'd agree with this - I haven't sat in them, but I did have a look during deplaning and they did look much more spacious than the rest of the PE cabin.
Originally Posted by Zaco
There were dozens of small enhancements I noticed throughout the flight - don't want to spoil the surprises for those of you yet to travel, but there has definitely been a lot of thought put in to this cabin. The new service concept in BP is wonderful. Looking forward to many more flights on these planes.
180+ service flow changes!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ GE and EK Skywards
Originally Posted by serfty

The Mattress is far softer (just about any thing would have been better), the 'doona' works really well.

All they need to do is to add PJ's.

(The amenity kit is ... meh ... )

After reading reviews of the new Business product, it seems to me, that AirNZ are on to a winner. Everyone seems completely thrilled with the changes in comfort.

One wonders if this will now have a flow on effect, and they will do something to improve the mattress and/or duvet on the 747 ?

I realise they are going to slowly phase this aircraft out..... but in the mean time???

Some of us have flights to Vancouver and are feeling jealous.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by kiwigirl2
One wonders if this will now have a flow on effect, and they will do something to improve the mattress and/or duvet on the 747 ?
Flew 772 Business on Monday and it had an additional much thicker mattress pad in it as well as the older one. I've not seen this before, although last 772 Business flight was in November.

Nothing else had changed that I noticed.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:37 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Flew 772 Business on Monday and it had an additional much thicker mattress pad in it as well as the older one. I've not seen this before, although last 772 Business flight was in November.

Nothing else had changed that I noticed.
That must be the new BP mattress - if so, great to hear it's being introduced into the regular BP as well ^

For those who haven't flown it, the new BP has a much thicker padding on the seatback, plus a seperate memory foam mattress stored behind the seat that you unroll ontop (I guessed it about 5cms thick, and is pre-fitted with the bedsheet). Ontop of that goes the blanket and 2 larger pillows.

The mattress is cut to fit the BP seat, but as the dimensions are the same there is no reason they can't offer this on the 747s/772s - hopefully this is the plan, as it's very good.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:58 pm

I'd agree with this - I haven't sat in them, but I did have a look during deplaning and they did look much more spacious than the rest of the PE cabin.
I was sitting in 12K so had a good view of these before the curtains were closed - the bulkhead is curved in line with the back of the BP seats, and the PE seats curve away in the opposite direction, so you have a large area for your feet - enough to stretch them out fully I would say, even if you're tall.

Strangely, these seats were empty. As this is the bassinette position I expect they are blocked until 48 hours before departure - so if anyone is flying PE and worried about legroom I'd try to grab these at 48 hours out.

12A/K are great seats BTW, as the rear bulkhead curves around them, and the smaller BP cabin has a good feel to it. Only word of warning - it is very close to the middle PE bassinette, because of the way the bulkheads curve and the BP seats are staggered. I would check whether that bassinette is in use before selecting these seats (they are blocked until 48 hours anyway).

180+ service flow changes!
Amazing - no wonder the crew were carrying cheat-sheets. I noticed the service flow is now much more like a restaurant - i.e. crew take your order on an order pad, this is posted up in the galley while they prepare your food course by course.

I thought the food was excellent, and by the end I was absolutely stuffed. I wanted to try the pizza (I like the fact you can select your toppings from a list - and they've got a good range) but just couldn't manage.

Brilliant to hear it is possible to buy BP wines in Economy - that will make life much more bearable if upgrades don't come through!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:56 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
As of Feb 13 several service changes went into effect, as a result of passenger feedback on the first couple of weeks of longhaul sectors. The feedback has been excellent about the food but the length of the service (especially in Y) has been commented on.

BP has very minor changes, mostly 'behind the scenes' stuff that is now preprepared to speed up the service. A couple of unpopular menu items were also replaced.

PE will move to a fullsize tray based service and pretakeoff drinks will be removed (and more pre-assembly behind the scenes).

Y has seen the most drastic changes - the premeal bar service with fresh snack (a fritatta) has been completely removed, and soup has been removed as a meal option. (And again many behind the scenes changes).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:23 am

Hi nz_crew, thanks for the heads up.

Amazing to hear that soup was on the menu in Economy - and that there was a pre-meal snack with the drinks. I didn't get to experience it but somehow miss it anyway - a real shame this didn't work out, that is excellent.

Re BP - do you happen to know what the less popular menu items were? There were a number of things I wanted to try on future flights but didn't have a chance to on the one I took (incl. pizza, chefs tasting menu, the other salad (not caesar), and some of the side dishes).

And on a more general note re the service changes, I'm glad AirNZ aimed high on this and then reduced where needed rather than never trying these things out at all.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:12 am

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
Zaco,

Chef's Selection Plate is gone from AKLLAX and the Turkey Sandwich is gone from LAXAKL. A few other minor changes to the J menu such as main salads now being pre-prepared so not available as appetizers and kumara being deleted from the menu.

I agree that aiming as high as possible was good and I'm glad you enjoyed the food!!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it must be my fault; I did not have the chef's selection from AKL, preferring a more robust meal; but did have it out of LAX as a light meal was the order of the day. (I had travelled from Aruba in first/business class on three consecutive meal flights before arriving at LAX ).

Shame about the Salads, the ones I had as starters were good.

As for the removal of PE pre-flight drinks, that's real reduction in PE service I bet you it was the CC who wanted this, not the PAX.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 15, 2011 at 4:49 am
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by nz_crew
PE will move to a fullsize tray based service and pretakeoff drinks will be removed (and more pre-assembly behind the scenes)..
with the removal of the pre takeoff drinks, the full tray based service & the negative reviews of the new seat I'm thinking I would have been better off flying direct from syd-lax on qantas or v Australia in economy and save the money,as air new Zealand seem to be getting rid of the things you pay extra for in PE compared to Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.