777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old Apr 3, 12, 6:04 pm

Programs: *G, OW Emerald, Bonvoy Amb Elite, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Flew AKL-LAX last week in PE (26A, window seat) and have to say the privacy was fantastic, also I managed to get very comfortable and got a solid 7 hours sleep - all other aspects of the flight were also great (crew, food and wine)
I would echo the comments above. I flew AKL-LAX in 23B and LAX-AKL in 23A last week. Very comfortable for me at 6’2” and 100kgs. As others up thread have indicated 23B is probably the best PE seat – lots of legroom and 23A can get out without disturbing you. The only downside is you can’t have the IFE operating during taxi - not a biggie for me. I managed 6 hours of sleep on the way up and 8 hours on the way back.

One downside to having 23A ex-LAX was that was also the gate number (the Air NZ boarding pass has the gate and seat numbers next to each other). When I arrived on the aircraft someone had already settled into my seat and took some convincing that they really needed to keep walking back to row 39. After that about 10 other people who didn’t/couldn’t read their boarding pass properly told me I was in the wrong seat. The politeness of my reply followed the law of diminishing returns. All-in-all an experience I was apprehensive about turned out to be very comfortable and more than satisfactory.

As an aside, I flew LAX-AKL in the BP cabin on the 300ER in December and was less than impressed with the cabin service – worst ever on an NZ flight. I thought that the cabin crew on these legs seemed much more comfortable working on the aircraft and the service quality was back to normal standards.
Old Apr 17, 12, 1:11 am

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Spaceseat: not great for shorties IME

I just flew TT in an outer PE seat on the 773, and I have to be honest, I didn't like it that much, and probably would not choose the Spaceseat long haul, and Placeboguy felt the same way. I'm shortish (164cm--about 5'4") and so is he (maybe 2 cm/1" taller than me), and I found I could not get both my back and my legs comfortable--due to short legs I found it hard to make my back comfortable (I couldn't get it back against the seat because my femurs are too short), and the drop from the seat to the floor was a bit long for my legs--and nowhere in an outer seat to put my feet UP to solve the problem. I also did not think the recline was great, and think I would struggle to sleep in that seat for any length of time.

SOME of these problems could have been solved with an extra pillow or beanbag, and certainly I would choose PE over economy (especially on the 773!!). I also think that some of these issues would not be so much of a problem in the centre seats where there would be space and the opportunity to put my feet up while travelling with Placeboguy.

The real issue, though (as with so many seats) is that I am too short to sit comfortably, and that Placeboguy, who normally isn't, also found this uncomfortable. To be clear, I think it would be fine for anyone taller than us (or maybe I just didn't figure out how to use the damn seat to my best advantage), but for a shorty like me: I'd rather fly the 772.
Old Apr 17, 12, 1:48 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
They provide the beanbag on Longhaul, that's probably what was missing
Old Apr 17, 12, 8:28 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
The beanbag was there, but my legs are so short I really needed another one :S. Both Placeboguy and I have slightly shorter legs than our respective heights would suggest.

Has anyone travelled in these seats with kids? How did the kids do?
Old Apr 17, 12, 9:54 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
I flew TT in the middle seats a few months back. And, yes, the bean bag was provided.

We didn't enjoy it one bit because of the angle of the seating. The middle table was useless as we both faced away from it. Everything seemed odd and I ended up with a very stiff neck. We didn't suffer from a lack of legroom.

I would hate to fly long-haul in those seats.

We'll be flying TT again in a few months and I'll try the outer seats this time.
Old Dec 19, 12, 7:35 am

NZ1 Dec 4th 2012 LHR - LAX 77W

(My annual update)

Day/Night flight
Day flight

Cabin / Seat No. (aisle / window / middle)
Forward BP cabin, left side seat 2A (window-ish)

Seat comfort (width ok?)
Leather is starting to look worn now, and even more marks on the side wall - not just pen marks, but grime too

Legroom
Fine as the seat is fixed

Ease of getting in and out
No problems in the lighted cabin

Food
They still can't get this right. Appetizer once again served on meat even though I'm veggie, starter was baked cheese for everyone else but I got slices of tomato with feta and walnuts which was sent back largely untouched - concierge asked for feedback on reason for not eating (I'm sure that will go far.) Main was a four cheese tortellini (from memory), not ground breaking but acceptable. Desert of the pre-selected (not by me) fruit plate was pointedly returned in exchange for a delicious ice cream with a slice of dried pear

Drink
Acceptable Chardonnay on the way out, desert wine was well matched. As usual full wine selection was not available and outbound offered sparkling wine on departure not champagne

FA attentiveness
Concierge too chatty and with a prepared "banter" which made her look very junior as she repeated it to every pax in order. Over the top "enjoy this luxury" attitude was a tiny bit grating (but she was lovely.) Other staff attentive enough but rushed

AVOD
Always good music selections, I still don't get why some shows get two random episodes where others get full sets (cost differences for licensing I guess.) Food ordering on demand enabled this time but simple drink order took 15 minutes to deliver - later only two minutes so FAs not paying too much attention to their displays

Would you do it again?
On this flight I would have - but not the return...

Other thoughts?
Cabin too hot again ("someone said they were cold") but they did turn down when requested
Old Dec 19, 12, 7:43 am

NZ2 Dec 18th 2012 LAX - LHR 77W

Day/Night flight
Overnight flight

Cabin / Seat No. (aisle / window / middle)
Forward BP cabin, left side seat 4A (window-ish)

Seat comfort (width ok?)
Same complaints as before, but this time with seat jamming too - fixed by leaning forward while holding the button down

Legroom
Fine as the seat is fixed

Ease of getting in and out
No problems in the lighted cabin but once dimmed hard to navigate - by me and by clumsy crew

Food
Awful. Cold vegetable starter, main of mushroom ravioli was acceptable, desert of fruit plate returned without a replacement. Breakfast waffles took too long to serve (~10m after main serving for others) and wrong item delivered before rectified

Drink
Didn't drink on this flight though the FA announced a full selection being available. Champagne was offered (but declined - Mumm, for goodness sake) on the departure

FA attentiveness
No visible concierge. Male crew with one female junior FA, moved as if they were waiters at the Ritz but without any of the charisma or savvy. Poor at collecting empty glasses, borderline rude at times especially toward the end of flight - survey has been submitted with observations

AVOD
Same as outbound, film selections still top notch

Would you do it again?
No. Price competition is stable on this route and the soft product failed to deliver this time - next flight will be VA or BA

Other thoughts?
Unable to sleep as two FAs seemed to be having a door-slamming competition in the galley, possibly some variation on a memory game as they repeatedly opened and slammed the same cabinets looking for something. Female FAs moving through seem to have taken poise classes from the Bride of Frankenstein. I can tolerate pax with the usual coughing/belly-laughing/parping but crew should know better than to disturb a sleeper cabin

Search this Thread
Search Engine: