FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   777-300 ER mini-reviews (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1166416-777-300-er-mini-reviews.html)

trooper Jul 6, 2011 8:47 pm

7A!!!!:D

(Unless I'm on the flight in which case keep your mitts off it!!;))

babs Jul 6, 2011 10:34 pm

or 7K

The best seats on the aircraft I think very private, tried row 2 and row 4 but settled that I liked row 7 on the window

TIV Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm

I flew MEL - AKL a couple of days ago in the PE on 777-300. The FA told me this plane was the first to have the new configuration with increased pitch in PE. I am 6'1" and found the seat confortable. Since PE was half empty I bobbed around and tried both side seats, middle seats, and window seats. There is a significant improvement in comfort. I had knee room enough to cross my legs; foot on opposite knee etc. With the seat reclined I could still stretch my legs out even if my feet at that point were all the way up against the wall in the "dug out foot hole". Of course this was a short flight, but I could immagine being quite comfortable on a 10 - 12 hour journey. While comfortable, it is not similar to other airlines' business class (often implied by NZ). The question therefore remains if the improvement is enough to justify the quite steep price charged by NZ - especially when considering that one often finds business class fares to Europe on TG, SQ, and even LH (using part NZ metal) that are only around a 1000 or so dollars more.

soccerpapi Aug 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Seat 1K on new B777-300 aircraft

Does anyone have any advise or experience with seat 1K on the new B777-300 aircraft?

Would you suggest this seat or advise sitting further back?

Thank you for your help.

Soccer

Rebound Aug 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Sit further back, light/noise plus people hitting your feet by accident.

Edit: I am thinking 01J from what i saw on my sectors, see below on 1K

WLGNZ Aug 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by soccerpapi (Post 17013205)
Does anyone have any advise or experience with seat 1K on the new B777-300 aircraft?

Would you suggest this seat or advise sitting further back?

Thank you for your help.

Soccer

Love this seat. From about 10 sectors on the 77W it is my favorite. No issues with light or bumping. There is a closet between the seat and the galley which stops any of these issues.

QTFLYER Aug 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ (Post 17013309)
Love this seat. From about 10 sectors on the 77W it is my favorite. No issues with light or bumping. There is a closet between the seat and the galley which stops any of these issues.

more often than not boarding is done via 2L so you are one of the last to leave this cabin. I am a fan of 4A but really, anything in the forward cabin is good

serfty Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm

+1

The closet/bulkhead does shield the direct light.^

QTFLYER Aug 28, 2011 6:53 pm

On another point, I wonder if air nz have yet wonderd if white was a great colour for the BP seats.. Already the leather looks streched , which the white shows off more and also the pen marks show up like dog's balls..! :p

alex1948 Aug 30, 2011 3:09 am

Originally Posted by TIV (Post 17013174)
The question therefore remains if the improvement is enough to justify the quite steep price charged by NZ - especially when considering that one often finds business class fares to Europe on TG, SQ, and even LH (using part NZ metal) that are only around a 1000 or so dollars more.

That's also the dilemma faced by carriers here in the UK. Should one pay a high Y+ price with BA, VS, AF for a non-stop or direct flight to the M East or Asia when discounted J tickets with indirect carriers cost roughly the same.

soccerpapi Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you and the other posters who have responded to my question, I appreciate it.

I think I am going to stay with 1K for now. The front cabin looks pretty empty right now, so I am assuming it will be fairly quiet.

Thanks again for your help and advice, I appreciate it.

soccer

soccerpapi Aug 30, 2011 3:01 pm

Questions about the new B777-300 service

I am flying on NZ02 from Auckland to Los Angeles in Business Premiere and have a few questions. I would appreciate any advice if your have taken this flight.

Are you able to order food and drink through the inflight AVOD system? Do you know if this applies for all the meals, drinks, etc? Or does it only apply after the main or first meal service is served?

Also, do you if the self service bar / snack area is set up right after takeoff or after the main or first meal served?

Thank you for your help and advice.

soccer

Rebound Aug 30, 2011 3:19 pm

You'll get two options for Dinner, either Fast Dine (light meal/soup + a dessert - they serve you promptly) otherwise the main meal option(s) - meal service commences 1 hour after take off. The 'menu's' are on the for Dinner/Breakfast, a phsyical menu will be on your seat when you board.

Between dinner and breakfast you can order off the IFE, options that i saw included sandwiches, casava crisps, muesli bars/chocolate bars etc - also in the main gallery there are 'snack stations'. The snack stations are not setup until after dinner service from memory, i'm pretty sure you can order drinks at your leisure though but I just asked the flight attendants, they were pretty assertive in asking in a regular basis.

Breakfast (hot/cold) is serviced 2 hours prior to landing give or take, the meals are pretty substantial so I never snacked. Enjoy your flight, others might be able to fill in the blanks I have missed.

soccerpapi Aug 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 17024586)
You'll get two options for Dinner, either Fast Dine (light meal/soup + a dessert - they serve you promptly) otherwise the main meal option(s) - meal service commences 1 hour after take off. The 'menu's' are on the for Dinner/Breakfast, a phsyical menu will be on your seat when you board.

Between dinner and breakfast you can order off the IFE, options that i saw included sandwiches, casava crisps, muesli bars/chocolate bars etc - also in the main gallery there are 'snack stations'. The snack stations are not setup until after dinner service from memory, i'm pretty sure you can order drinks at your leisure though but I just asked the flight attendants, they were pretty assertive in asking in a regular basis.

Breakfast (hot/cold) is serviced 2 hours prior to landing give or take, the meals are pretty substantial so I never snacked. Enjoy your flight, others might be able to fill in the blanks I have missed.

Thank you.

Soccer

TL0413 Sep 2, 2011 8:19 am

Originally Posted by TIV (Post 17013174)
I flew MEL - AKL a couple of days ago in the PE on 777-300. The FA told me this plane was the first to have the new configuration with increased pitch in PE. I am 6'1" and found the seat confortable. Since PE was half empty I bobbed around and tried both side seats, middle seats, and window seats. There is a significant improvement in comfort. I had knee room enough to cross my legs; foot on opposite knee etc. With the seat reclined I could still stretch my legs out even if my feet at that point were all the way up against the wall in the "dug out foot hole". Of course this was a short flight, but I could immagine being quite comfortable on a 10 - 12 hour journey. While comfortable, it is not similar to other airlines' business class (often implied by NZ). The question therefore remains if the improvement is enough to justify the quite steep price charged by NZ - especially when considering that one often finds business class fares to Europe on TG, SQ, and even LH (using part NZ metal) that are only around a 1000 or so dollars more.

What a relief to read this! I am flying to Auckland from Heathrow at the end of the month (and back again 15 days later), so am mighty please that the exta pitch does make a difference. Being 6' 2", I need that leg room!!