777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old May 3, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I agree with the 10 across seating issue. I don't need to fly the airline to know it's going to be bad. And as others have said, no amount of IFE, service, food or anything else will make up for the narrow seating.
Having flown on the -300, I think the 10-across thing is overblown. 10-across in itself isn't that bad.

What IS bad is that they also reduced seat pitch significantly, and introduced a poorly designed new economy seat which has a much thicker seat back - reducing leg room even further.

Given the choice, I'd much rather they take out a row or two to improve the seat pitch rather than go back to 3-3-3.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by Reason077
Having flown on the -300, I think the 10-across thing is overblown. 10-across in itself isn't that bad.
17.1 inch seat width isn't that bad? On a 24 hour flight from Auckland to London?
Old May 3, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Reason077

What IS bad is that they also reduced seat pitch significantly, and introduced a poorly designed new economy seat which has a much thicker seat back - reducing leg room even further.

Given the choice, I'd much rather they take out a row or two to improve the seat pitch rather than go back to 3-3-3.
Really. I have travelled EK in the 10 across, I will admit that NZ have an additional 0.1" width over them (EK same width as a 737 seat) and found it unbearable even with the extra 1-2" of pitch.
The NZ 777-300 has 1-2" more seat pitch than the current 777-200 but 1-2" less than the 747, which must look like business class to those on the new bird
I am not a wide guy, in fact think I am average across the shoulders for a male, and I hate flying in a 737 or A320 economy seat even across the Tasman.
Old May 4, 2011, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by birder
17.1 inch seat width isn't that bad? On a 24 hour flight from Auckland to London?
It did not seem noticeably narrower to me. I'm not saying that it isn't narrower, just that whatever difference wasn't really an issue.

What was very noticeable, however, was the reduced legroom. That and the generally degraded service in economy compared to the 747/772.

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
The NZ 777-300 has 1-2" more seat pitch than the current 777-200 but 1-2" less than the 747, which must look like business class to those on the new bird
I'm surprised that the -300 supposedly has more pitch than the -200. It definitely feels like less. Perhaps this is due to the new seat design.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Given the move to increasingly slimline seats for the past decade or more, what on earth was NZ thinking to move to a *less* slimline design (especially in combination with reducing seat pitch by 1" relative to the 744). It just makes absolutely no sense.
Old May 10, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: GE

Last edited by pacpro; May 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm
Old May 11, 2011, 7:32 pm

How much recline is there in the SpaceSeat? I've seen comments here saying 'not much' but does anyone have a measurement?

The whole sliding-forward thing never suited me (maybe because I'm 6"2') - it's the reason I find CX's Y seat uncomfortable (it has no recline and is all slide). It would be a real shame if NZ's new PE had almost no recline too.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF WP, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pacpro
Correct one aircraft has been changed or changing now. The seats are drawing a lot of complaints mainly from people who are in A K and can't get out
I've got that:

---
The reconfiguration of this cabin to 44 Spaceseats will take place over several days in late August and as a result a Boeing 777-200 will operate five return NZ1/2 services during this time as follows:

Tuesday 16th, Friday 19th and Monday 22nd August AKL-LHR and corresponding return LHR-AKL services on Wednesday 17th, Saturday 20th and Tuesday 23rd August

Monday 29th and Wednesday 31st August AKL-LHR and corresponding return LHR-AKL services on Tuesday 30th August and Thursday 1st September
---
Old May 11, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I'm on the 773 on the 8th AKL-LAX-LHR and on the 18th LHR-LAX-AKL! Hopefully it stays a 773!
Old May 11, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Originally Posted by Rebound
Hopefully it stays a 773!
You must be flying in BP.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
You must be flying in BP.
Correct U/Gs confirmed
Old May 12, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Adelaide_Matthew
How much recline is there in the SpaceSeat? I've seen comments here saying 'not much' but does anyone have a measurement?

The whole sliding-forward thing never suited me (maybe because I'm 6"2') - it's the reason I find CX's Y seat uncomfortable (it has no recline and is all slide). It would be a real shame if NZ's new PE had almost no recline too.
I've found the recline is ok, I think it's meant to be comparable to the old PE. Definitely more than Economy.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:59 am

I know some of this is posted above, but thought the full blurb could be of interest.

Originally Posted by Air New Zealand
BOEING 777-300 PREMIUM ECONOMY SEATING RECONFIGURATION

Air New Zealands innovative new Boeing 777-300 interiors have been receiving excellent feedback and as well as receiving a prestigious Crystal Cabin Award last month, yesterday took out Conde Nast Travellers 2011 Innovation and Design Awards for the Economy Skycouch, selected ahead of both Singapore Airlines and Lufthansas respective First Class A380 cabins.

Innovation requires constant improvement and there have been a couple of areas customers have said we can improve further, specifically speed of the food and beverage service, which weve already addressed, and the amount of leg room for tall people in some of the Premium Economy Spaceseats.

Therefore, Air New Zealand will be removing one row of Premium Economy seating from the aircraft to provide passengers in this cabin with up to six inches (15cm) of additional legroom. The Premium Economy product on this aircraft is already superior to that offered by any other carrier and this change will further enhance this fact.

The reconfiguration of this cabin to 44 Spaceseats will take place over several days in late August and as a result a Boeing 777-200 will operate five return NZ1/2 services during this time as follows:

Tuesday 16th, Friday 19th and Monday 22nd August AKL-LHR and corresponding return LHR-AKL services on Wednesday 17th, Saturday 20th and Tuesday 23rd August
Monday 29th and Wednesday 31st August AKL-LHR and corresponding return LHR-AKL services on Tuesday 30th August and Thursday 1st September

The B777-200 is not fitted with Air New Zealands Economy Skycouch.. Customers booked and ticketed to travel in an Economy Skycouch on any of the affected flights will receive a full refund for the Economy Skycouch product upgrade portion of their ticket should they choose to continue to travel on the same flight.. Customers that prefer to change travel dates so that they can continue to fly in an Economy Skycouch can change for no additional charge to another flight operated by the B777-300, either the day before or day after the original travel date.

Air New Zealand Agency Support will contact travel agents that have customers booked to travel in Economy Skycouch on the affected flights to assist with re-accommodation.
Given the Spaceseats are at 36" pitch (effective pitch is greater due to angled seating, think it was 39"), this takes them up to 42" pitch (greater effective pitch due to the angled seating) and no middle seat.

Wonder if they will increase the recline, not sure if it is possible without a decent level of seat modification.
Old May 12, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... The Premium Economy product on this aircraft is already superior to that offered by any other carrier and this change will further enhance this fact. ...
I suggest the PE on the NZ 744's, (especially downstairs) is a superior product to the 773 PE, even with an addiotnal 10-15cm. Of course that is not on "any other carrier".
Old May 13, 2011, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Aerosett
I've found the recline is ok, I think it's meant to be comparable to the old PE. Definitely more than Economy.
That's good to hear - I've seen references to it ending up the same, but wasn't sure.

Where it must be better than the CX Y seat is that the CX seat slumps forward with no improvement to the lumbar support: the NZ seat back looks like it is of sterner stuff so when the seat base slides forward, the back also comes forward.

It will be interesting to hear if the extra leg room that is promised to be coming is enough to make people more comfortable. I'd like it to be, as this design seemed attractive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.