777-300 ER mini-reviews

Old May 1, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Originally Posted by Dogs_Ears_Up
  • 10 Abreast - will stay, and in fact become more common as other airlines also move that way barring some unforeseen tumble in fuel prices or a significant rise in the ability to extract meaningful yield from economy seats.
  • [*]
Add Snoop Dogg to that list. Why Air NZ would put its name alongside him is beyond me. Either they are completely stupid and ignorant about his background, or think 'our elites wont know who he is, they wont bother looking further, so we still look cool amongst the twitfacers.'

Apologies for the slight deviation. And also apologies for calling all Air NZ head managers idiots. I would not call Ed Simms an idiot. If anything I think he deserves the top job. (Unless of course he's responsible for rico ).
Old May 1, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by milan luka
Apologies for the slight deviation. And also apologies for calling all Air NZ head managers idiots. I would not call Ed Simms an idiot. If anything I think he deserves the top job. (Unless of course he's responsible for rico ).
As far as I know Ed Simms has left NZ. And I have wondered if that is significant bearing in mind all the (awful) changes recently.
Old May 1, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by milan luka
Both NZ and EK do the 10 abreast. SQ has nine still. While they are still out there flying Im happy to support any carrier that has a 3-3-3 configuration.
Exactly. I'm not flying 10 abreast. Air NZ, if you want your elites who fly economy (which means A LOT of economy) to fly on the 773, you need to simply get your IT department to allow us to see the seat maps before booking. Period.

And remember that while EK does 10 abread, it has 34" pitch.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
In the window where you select which flight you would like to book online, you can click on the flight number to show more details on the flight and in the window that opens, you will see the aircraft type. click on that and it shows a seat map of the flight.

Is that what you were after, or do you want to see which seats are available?
Old May 1, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
He wants to see the seatmap with open/allocated/blocked seats I would think
Old May 1, 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound
He wants to see the seatmap with open/allocated/blocked seats I would think
Exactly. There are only a few decent seats in Y on the 773. I'm not going to book a ticket with them unless I can see if those seats are open. I have a flight coming up with Air NZ - I routed it through strange routings because I could get the 772 and 747. If I hadn't been able to do that, I would have taken a different airline.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:25 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by birder
Exactly. I'm not flying 10 abreast. Air NZ, if you want your elites who fly economy (which means A LOT of economy) to fly on the 773, you need to simply get your IT department to allow us to see the seat maps before booking. Period.
Where would IT find the time for that when they are busy making flight simulator games for facebook Does expert flyer allow you to see the seat maps before booking and are those seat maps accurate if there are any?
Old May 1, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G and a couple of other Silvers.
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
As far as I know Ed Simms has left NZ. And I have wondered if that is significant bearing in mind all the (awful) changes recently.
I know a bit about his replacement, Chris Luxon, very highly regarded in his previous roles.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Where would IT find the time for that when they are busy making flight simulator games for facebook Does expert flyer allow you to see the seat maps before booking and are those seat maps accurate if there are any?
This is a good question. Can any users of expert flyer answer the last two questions?
Old May 1, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by birder
This is a good question. Can any users of expert flyer answer the last two questions?
Yes it does, and it seems accurate based on my highly scientific sample of one test using NZ2 30JUN11 (only booking I have access to compare against the NZ website).
Old May 1, 2011, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It is generally accurate.

One issue was that it seemed to show "bassinet" type reserved seats as taken rather than blocked.

Main one is that seat maps become unavailable about one day before the flight.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:15 am

Expertflyer shows all blocked seats as occupied (although so does the Air NZ website, and I think Qik and all major GDS systems). This makes it impossible to know whether the seat next to you is occupied or blocked and impedes planning to a large degree.

As noted, seatmaps are also removed from Expertflyer many hours in advance of the flight departure. The only way to know which flights it is safe to change to is to call NZ. I hate to think what this technological incompetence costs them (over and above lost revenue from people who book with other airlines because of the low quality offerings from the NZ booking engine).
Old May 2, 2011, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I agree with the 10 across seating issue. I don't need to fly the airline to know it's going to be bad. And as others have said, no amount of IFE, service, food or anything else will make up for the narrow seating.

(I did however recently choose a 3+4+3 777 flight on a chinese internal fliight, just to see how bad it really was - and for a 1 hour flight it was terrible, let alone 12 hours across the pacific!!)

That having been said, I was speaking with a fellow FTer about seat widths with the 10 across. Looks like they go from something like 17.9' wide to 17.1' wide going from 9-10 across. 17.1 inches is just .4 of an inch narrower than a 747 - but it DOES make a difference. (plus of course the aisles are narrower).
Old May 2, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I agree with the 10 across seating issue. I don't need to fly the airline to know it's going to be bad. And as others have said, no amount of IFE, service, food or anything else will make up for the narrow seating.

(I did however recently choose a 3+4+3 777 flight on a chinese internal fliight, just to see how bad it really was - and for a 1 hour flight it was terrible, let alone 12 hours across the pacific!!)

That having been said, I was speaking with a fellow FTer about seat widths with the 10 across. Looks like they go from something like 17.9' wide to 17.1' wide going from 9-10 across. 17.1 inches is just .4 of an inch narrower than a 747 - but it DOES make a difference. (plus of course the aisles are narrower).
Seats narrower, aisles narrower, armrests narrower, IFE box under seats in narrower foot well.
10 across in an 777 is only better than 9 across on the widebody Airbus (A380 excluded).
Been there done that and never again. I reckon it will be just as unconfortable as 9 across on the 787 that most airlines will introduce.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
New AirNZ site, with some feedback - good and bad. The bad, referring to the PE offering...

Rosemary @ 5:33 p.m., 2 May, 2011
Hi, I have just returned from the UK flying on the new 777 both ways. I was travelling on my own and had the window seat. I found there was no room at all to pass by my fellow passenger and had to ask him to stand up or I had to climb over him. I felt the seats were very cramped but was a little relieved when one of the hostesses did agree with me. The fact that the seats do not recline is a big mistake espec when one is flying straight through to the UK, I wonder if they still recline in economy! I was also disappointed to find no hand cream etc in the loos, and also no magazines, even the Air NZ mag was not there which I think is a huge mistake, this mag is great especially for the tourists, bring back the Air NZ mag I would say. I asked myself what extras premium economy passengers were actually getting certainly no pre dinner drinks anyway. I have also flown premium economy on the 747 and that was brilliant, heaps of room and all the bells and whistles. I must say I was disappointed in this new plane.

http://www.ourairnz.co.nz/air-nz-new...-look-see.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.