Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Arrival of Air New Zealand's first Boeing 777-300 ER

Arrival of Air New Zealand's first Boeing 777-300 ER

Old Jan 10, 11, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Freeth, did you go back and check out the new economy section, since there has been so much moaning about this on the forums, how did you like the look of it all, did you hear any feedback from passengers?
Old Jan 10, 11, 11:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Freeth - Your temping me to splash out of a day trip on Friday.

Did you have any trouble booking same day return on the 77W
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: NZ*E, QF G, HH S, AClub G, PC G
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Freeth, did you go back and check out the new economy section, since there has been so much moaning about this on the forums, how did you like the look of it all, did you hear any feedback from passengers?
I did go back and have a look but didn't actually try out the seating in Y. Must admit it looked rather tight. I did test out the new Y+ seat briefly and I thought it was quite comfortable although I'm fairly short (5ft 8") so legroom wasn't an issue. 8 liked the way you could change your seating position when reclined. A vast improvement over the previous offer.

I'll try to post some photos later tonight.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: NZ*E, QF G, HH S, AClub G, PC G
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Freeth - Your temping me to splash out of a day trip on Friday.

Did you have any trouble booking same day return on the 77W
No problems at all booking the return trip, I think it moves onto the AKL - BNE route on Thursday and Friday? They should have the meal service locked down by then.

Forgot to mention earlier that the AVOD was great too. Much more responsive than the old type, and it worked well playing movies from my iPhone and iPad. Only slight drawback was with the touch screen you really notice the fingerprints all over it when you have the screen angled with the window shade open behind you.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The new plane looks nice! I hope it stays white in the future!
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by exc3ll View Post
It should do, I would expect them do fully refit these planes in 4 years time with the introduction of the 789 (If it ever flys).

NZ has mentioned that they have already started to design the next stage, for when the 789 do come.

NZ is going to sell the product to other airlines, but the contracts states that NZ has 24months exclusive use of the product. So by the other airlines start to fit it, NZ aircarft with be nearing a refit.

In the past we have seen NZ refit aircarft with new product about every 4-5 years.
Old Jan 11, 11, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by exc3ll View Post
The interior is certainly very white in the forward half of the cabin.

I wonder whether the plain exterior (the 77W looks extremely white with the removal of the Pacific Wave) is to help the conversion to the new livery (reportedly on hold due to cost).
Old Jan 11, 11, 3:10 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Aerosett View Post
I wonder whether the plain exterior (the 77W looks extremely white with the removal of the Pacific Wave) is to help the conversion to the new livery (reportedly on hold due to cost).
Rob Fyfe sat in front of me in BP AKL LAX last month and I mentioned a new livery. He told me there are no new livery plans and that it would cost a minimum of $12million. He also said the Pacific Wave was removed due to problems with the decals and maintaining them which proved very expensive. He
Old Jan 12, 11, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I'm flying down to AKL early March on NZ5 & home on the NZ6. Any chance that the skycouches will ever be on those planes?
Old Jan 12, 11, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by venice4504 View Post
I'm flying down to AKL early March on NZ5 & home on the NZ6. Any chance that the skycouches will ever be on those planes?
77W willl be operating selected NZ5/6 flights between now and the end of March. Although the Sky Couches will not be able to be used to passengers untill they get the pass in April from the FAA/CAA. By then the Aircarft will be on NZ1/2
Old Jan 13, 11, 3:24 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Thanks cavemanzk - I didn't realise they weren't operational from day 1. Do you know if they will be available on the inaugural NZ1 777-300 service on April 2nd by any chance? I'm on it, in Business, but my wife is joining in Y so I was hoping there was a solo pax on a couch I could swap my J seat with so we can sit together. Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 11, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
To some, 10-abreast Y seating at 33-34 inches of leg room is preferable to 9-abreast seating at 31 inches.
9-abreast at 33-34 inches preferrable to 10 abreast at the same pitch, a la Asiana.
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Zaco View Post
Thanks cavemanzk - I didn't realise they weren't operational from day 1. Do you know if they will be available on the inaugural NZ1 777-300 service on April 2nd by any chance? I'm on it, in Business, but my wife is joining in Y so I was hoping there was a solo pax on a couch I could swap my J seat with so we can sit together. Thanks.
They are meant to by on NZ1/2 from day one, though this could change.

The sky-couches tickets are sold in peers & generally require 2 people on the booking.
Old Jan 14, 11, 1:10 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
They are meant to by on NZ1/2 from day one, though this could change.
A friend of mine who's a 772 Captain, told me recently he thought they would be on NZ5/6 initially.

"We fly both on the same type rating, the –300 has a T/O wt of 351 T vs. the –200 T/O wt of 297. The –300 will be taking over NZ5/6 initially then onto LHR it is a bit faster as well at the same weight as the –200 the speeds are virtually identical. The GE 90 is amazing rated at 115,000 lbs thrust makes the JT8D 14000 lbs on the 727 look like a model aeroplane engine technology eh! I’m in no hurry to go back to the states usually bid for China or Japan so may not get to fly the 773 much"

Last edited by wasapilot; Jan 14, 11 at 1:23 am
Old Jan 14, 11, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by wasapilot View Post
A friend of mine who's a 772 Captain, told me recently he thought they would be on NZ5/6 initially.

"We fly both on the same type rating, the 300 has a T/O wt of 351 T vs. the 200 T/O wt of 297. The 300 will be taking over NZ5/6 initially then onto LHR it is a bit faster as well at the same weight as the 200 the speeds are virtually identical. The GE 90 is amazing rated at 115,000 lbs thrust makes the JT8D 14000 lbs on the 727 look like a model aeroplane engine technology eh! Im in no hurry to go back to the states usually bid for China or Japan so may not get to fly the 773 much"
I think cavemanzk means that the skycouches will go live on NZ1/2. The 77Ws are indeed operating selected NZ5/6 until the second one arrives allowing daily NZ1/2 service, but NZ5/6 is not selling skycouch.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: