Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Arrival of Air New Zealand's first Boeing 777-300 ER

Arrival of Air New Zealand's first Boeing 777-300 ER

Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:59 am

I've heard OKM's inaugural service has been delayed from tomorrow's 123 due to approval delays? Anyone heard anything similar?

Whilst the schedule still says 773, typically last minute NZ aircraft changes aren't reflected in GDS schedule entries, although the seatmaps are generally quite accurate.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: NZ*E, QF G, HH S, AClub G, PC G
Originally Posted by Aerosett
I've heard OKM's inaugural service has been delayed from tomorrow's 123 due to approval delays? Anyone heard anything similar?

Whilst the schedule still says 773, typically last minute NZ aircraft changes aren't reflected in GDS schedule entries, although the seatmaps are generally quite accurate.
Just boarded and can confirm it is a 772
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Yikes...I would not be a happy camper at this point if I had paid for J to fly on the 773 today! I was considering it with the sale they had..
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by skyglow1
Yikes...I would not be a happy camper at this point if I had paid for J to fly on the 773 today! I was considering it with the sale they had..
Totally, but at the end of the day anyone that booked this flight booked it at there own risk.

NZ has said they do not guarantee what flights would be operated by the 77W until April 2011.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:45 pm

Going to a 772 explains why a lot of inventory suddenly shut down over the weekend, in fact most of this week's AKL-MEL J inventory tightened up over the weekend, but looks like it has eased a tad now.

The 773 may operate as early as tomorrow, from what I was told.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:40 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what they're doing with it at the moment? From the delivery flight photos it looked like the cabin was complete. Is it some sort of NZ certification, or maintenance checks or something?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:51 pm

big deal - 777-300 is overated!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I'm guessing it still had to go thought a certification process to sign everything off.

Last edited by cavemanzk; Jan 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by 2SWEETAU
big deal - 777-300 is overated!
^Totally agree!
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I'm guessing it still had to go thought a certification process to sign everything off.
At the NZ DO one of the NZ engineering staff said that there needed to be over 1,000 CAA checks completed before the aircraft can fly scheduled passenger service. I guess over the Xmas/NYE period there would be an issue with the number of Boeing, GE, NZ, CAA and other staff available.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:33 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Freeth
Just boarded and can confirm it is a 772
Ouch. Glad I didn't rearrange my schedule to fly the first 77W flight after all. Sucks for you.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Ouch. Glad I didn't rearrange my schedule to fly the first 77W flight after all. Sucks for you.
LOL, yeah I knew the risk I took when I booked the tickets. However I ended up having a great day. Was chatting to one of crew about the new plane and mentioned it was the only reason I was flying today and that it was shame the 77W wasnt quite ready. She must have felt sorry for me and treated me like absolute royalty for the remainder of the trip.

When I reboarded the return flight in MEL the same crew was doing the return leg, and had prepared a welcome back pack for me. The friendliness and fantastic service on the way home must have made the other pax up front wonder who on earth I was to receive such treatment.

Looks like the 77W will be ready for tomorrow so I'll give it another go then (this time I booked flexis tickets just in case )
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Freeth
Looks like the 77W will be ready for tomorrow so I'll give it another go then (this time I booked flexis tickets just in case )
If you miss tomorrow, see you Wednesday
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by fly747first
To some, 10-abreast Y seating at 33-34 inches of leg room is preferable to 9-abreast seating at 31 inches.
Must we settle for worse? Why not 9 seats abreast at 33-34 inch?

Also, when I look at seatguru.com, I don't see that they give a more generous seat pitch after adding 1 more seat in each row.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Just booked LAX-AKL on NZ5 01FEB in Premium Economy, apparently on the 773 - I sure hope that it makes it. The seat-map was looking very full in PE (only 4 seats available when I booked).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:29 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
If you miss tomorrow, see you Wednesday
Just got home from round 2, AKL-MEL-AKL, this time it was on the 77W. You'll be in for a bit of a treat tomorrow as they are trialling the new long haul offer this week on the TT route to ensure they smooth out the bugs before it's hits the LAX route next week.

It appeared that numerous seat upgrades were handed out at the gate, which I'm sure was a pleasant surprise for a few people. The new amenity kits were handed out in business premier too.

Crew were fantastic , with half a dozen or so extras on hand to allow them to have time to offer the long haul cooked on board menu. Unfortunately due to a catering mixup the eggs Benedict was off the menu today, but the kiwi big breakfast I had certainly hit the spot. Meal service on outbound flight was slow as they sorted through the issues (wasn't served until approx 2 hours into flight), but the angus beef burger I had for lunch on the return leg was delicious and served promptly.

Kerry Reeves (NZ's Airlines Programme Manager) treated me to a personal tour of the plane once the other pax had deboarded at MEL, and upon return to AKL I was shown into the cockpit to meet the pilots (and pose for a quick photo for my Facebook profile )

In all the 77W is a great addition to the NZ fleet, and the awesome service I have received in the last couple of days has gone a long way towards persuading me to make NZ my first choice for TT travel again.

Thanks NZ ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.