Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Making the most of Business Premier on NZ1&2: guide and request for comments

Old Nov 25, 10, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, CX Gold, VA Gold, BA paeon, VS rabble, NZ A$ bru

Hi folks,

My parents are flying out in BP in January to visit me in Wellington, and I thought that I might put together a little bit of a guide to help them make the most of their journey. Most of it's taken from my own experiences last Jan/Feb, which of course were made as awesome as they were by the stellar help and information around on this board.

I'd really welcome any thoughts or comments (or indeed revisions, or things that have changed), and feel free to use it yourself for people who aren't quite as into this whole flying thing as we are.

The post is at http://www.44john.com/voyagers/2010/...a-guide-w.html, on my blog. I'd be happy to crosspost it here if there's interest and/or the moderators think it'd be helpful.

Extra points for those who spot the photo with the FT luggage tag...

--J
Old Nov 25, 10, 5:47 am

Nice guide, thanks.

Agree on the bmi lounge tip too.

Might be good to add that the massages in AKL are complimentary for Business Premier and Gold Elite Members, but others can pay.
Old Nov 25, 10, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Two things:

1. The 'ottoman' can be used for a pair to dine. This works for most seats exept for 1A and 1K on the 744 where the seats are too narrow for one's posteria.

2. Duty Free on arrival into (and departure from) AKL can be a lot cheaper if you pre-order from here (www.dutyfreestores.co.nz - join their Frequent Buyer Club to save up to another 20%)
Old Nov 25, 10, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Aerosett, thanks, and yes, the BMI lounge is one of my favourite in-the-know hacks. I'll also edit in the point about the massages. D'you remember offhand how much they are?

Serfty, yes, I'd forgotten about the twin dining on the ottoman. I can't imagine that it'd be comfortable for anybody but the absolute sveltest of companions, though... And if one had 1A and 1K, I'd guess that twin dining would be possible since the touching ottomen don't belong to anyone else. Thanks very much for the tip on pre-ordering and joining their 20% off club -- that'd speed up the arrivals process too, I'd imagine!
Old Nov 25, 10, 6:44 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
The last time I flew to London through LAX, the "sterile" space was divided into two: for business and everyone else. On the business side, we had wine, drinks, cold snacks and free internet. I wasn't flying business but a friend was, and they asked if I could come in, and they said yes. Just wanted to let you know since you said that it was just chairs. This was from a June 2010 trip.
Old Nov 28, 10, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Oh, cool, thanks, birder -- that's really useful information. Was the seating as comfy as the Koru lounge, or was it just normal airport seating?

(If anybody has a picture of this lounge, and especially if they wouldn't mind me embedding it in my post/linking to it, I'd be very grateful...)
Old Nov 29, 10, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Originally Posted by ThatJohn View Post
Oh, cool, thanks, birder -- that's really useful information. Was the seating as comfy as the Koru lounge, or was it just normal airport seating?

(If anybody has a picture of this lounge, and especially if they wouldn't mind me embedding it in my post/linking to it, I'd be very grateful...)
No, it was just normal airport seating. If you look at the Air NZ website now, it says that economy passengers would be offered food and drink. They were not offered that when I was there (but then again, it was months ago). They only had some coffee, tea and water for the economy folks.
Old Nov 29, 10, 3:36 am

Aerosett, thanks, and yes, the BMI lounge is one of my favourite in-the-know hacks. I'll also edit in the point about the massages. D'you remember offhand how much they are?
I know they start at NZD15, not sure what the various options cost.
Old Nov 29, 10, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Originally Posted by birder View Post
No, it was just normal airport seating. If you look at the Air NZ website now, it says that economy passengers would be offered food and drink. They were not offered that when I was there (but then again, it was months ago). They only had some coffee, tea and water for the economy folks.
I flew through LAX earlier this month and the economy zone was fairly relaxing. Plenty of seats, free internet offered and snacks (chips) and drinks (tea, coffee, soft-drinks) were included as well. Not too bad considering that when I transitted through HKG on the way over to London we had to buy any food or drinks we wanted. Had a sneak peak at the premium seating area and it looked a bit more comfortable but nowhere near as good as a koru lounge.
Old Dec 6, 10, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Update, 7 Dec 10

Hi folks,

Many thanks again for all your helpful comments. There's an updated post up on the blog which incorporates them all.

Any further additions/amendments/corrections very welcome!

Cheers,

--J

Last edited by ThatJohn; Dec 6, 10 at 6:20 pm Reason: Oops, BBcode, not HTML! Bad fingers.
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Hi folks,

Many thanks again for all your helpful comments. There's an updated post up on the blog which incorporates them all.

Any further additions/amendments/corrections very welcome!

Cheers,

--J
Ta for that ...