Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Cabin baggage: bringing a framed painting on board?

Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond

Hi NZ experts,

I have bought a framed painting in New Zealand and will be flying AKL-PVG(NZ C)-ZRH(LX F) soon.

The whole thing measures about 70x70x8cm and weighs about 4kg (so about the size of the framed picture the old lady is carrying on board in the latest NZ safety video @:-)), it is wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap, but it is not packed in any way that it would safely arrive as checked luggage.

Am I likely gonna be able to bring it into the cabin with me? I only have another small backbag as cabin luggage.

Now I know the rules say "Business Class [...] customers are permitted two pieces of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 115cm (45")", but can anyone give advice whether I am likely gonna run into problems at check-in or in the cabin?

Also, would I be better off bring it with me to the check-in counter or just pick it off later on and take it with me on board? There is a shop near the Koru Club in AKL (so after check-in and security) that sells framed paintings of similar and bigger size as well, how do people carry those?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I have taken a framed, glassed, piece of art, bigger than the old lady's on board a 747 then 737 when I was travelling in Business Class and Economy.
No problems as long as it can get through the X-Ray machine.
On the 747 no issue fitting it in the overhead bins.
On the 737 made sure we (2 Pax) were one of the first to board, Purser saw it and put it aside and later set it on the overhead bins with no problem. 737 flight was not full and we were on 2 pax in the row of 3.
Artwork arrived safe and sound and still to be hung after 4 months

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.