Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Shortlife Global Saver fare LAMCT06 NZ - USA

Old Jun 13, 10, 9:24 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP

I just had a very interesting time on the phone with a very helpful Air NZ CSR.

I am trying to book AKL-JFK / SEA-AKL on the short life Global Saver fare LAMCT06.

Departing on 31OCT, returning on 06NOV.

It prices fine for me on Expedia (US), and is bookable. It prices fine on Jetabroad.co.nz, and is bookable. It prices fine on ITA.

Ideally, I wanted to book this direct through NZ. So, off to the Air NZ website I go.

First problem. The fare (which allows NZ/UA flights only) doesn't allow travel on NZ 1,5,7,19, or UA9549, UA9545, UA9543, UA9581. That's all the LAX-AKL, SFO-AKL, and LAX-RAR flights. Basically, the only option on the return is to go via SYD, and take the UA codeshare over the Pacific. Okay, I can live with that.

Second problem. Air NZ website doesn't show any flights USA-AU-NZ. Only USA-NZ. So, naturally, the fare can't be booked via their online booking engine.

Third problem. Call the call centre to book, and ask if there is any way to return on this fare without going via Australia. CSR checks the fare, and confers with her supervisor. They are both perplexed, but confirm my suspicions that travel on the return leg must be via Australia, on the United codeshare. Oh well, book it anyway - AKL-LAX-JFK, SEA-SFO-SYD-AKL. No can do, it's not quoting properly.

Strange. Is it because of the seasonality? That's 01 Oct - 31 Oct, and my flight is 31 Oct - 06 Nov. But then, the max stay requirements say the return must be completed no later than 06 Nov, so that can't be it. Is it the class of service on the UA flights? Nope, not that either.

Everything looks fine, but Air NZ are unable to book it for me through either their own GDS or Sabre no matter what they do. So, the poor CSR has been roped into making the booking "manually", since all the supervisors that have looked at my fare construction have said it's within the rules of the fare. Let's hope that "manually" doesn't mean paper tickets!
Old Jun 13, 10, 11:09 pm

Those are some crazy fare rules!
You can route through RAR on the outbound, if that strikes your fancy.
Old Jun 13, 10, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Oh you mean mean man!

And that CSR probably wanted a nice quiet Monday...and to get away on time.

I think you should definitely get it checked though and keep up to date. I've recently had to have 2 tickets re-issued (both due to NZ and not me) and 1 involved cancelling an upgrade request which took about 40min on the phone and didn't work anyway and the other a flight change due to a schedule change which also took about 20min and didn't reflect for another few hours anyway.
Old Jun 13, 10, 11:22 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy View Post
Those are some crazy fare rules!
Nope, NZ19 is verboten too.

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
And that CSR probably wanted a nice quiet Monday...and to get away on time.
She did say she was meant to leave 30 mins ago and would I mind if she did it tomorrow. I said that wouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 14, 10, 8:57 am

NZ18 AKL-RAR-LAX on Oct 31 has L availability, and is within the rules.
Old Jun 14, 10, 9:00 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

NZ18 AKL-RAR-LAX on Oct 31 has L availability, and is within the rules.
Oh, sorry, I missed the "outbound". AKL-LAX on NZ is fine. It's just the return that forces you via Australia.
Old Jun 14, 10, 3:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
*Shudders* at thought of 15 hours in Y on UA.
Old Jun 14, 10, 4:18 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

NZ finally managed to book it, and the fare went down slightly. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: