Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Trans-Tasman Self-Service Kiosks Introduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat

NZ will be introducing self-service check-in kiosks at AKL international from early June 2010 for passengers to any Australian destination. Kiosks will be similar to current domestic ones with the addition of passport readers. Passengers will check-in via the kiosk, scan their passport, receive a boarding pass and bag tag, and the proceed to a bag-drop counter where ID will be checked and the bag scanned and collected.

Wellington and Queenstown airports will receive the new kiosks later in 2010, with Christchurch to follow in early 2011. Kiosks will also be available in premium check-in areas.
Old May 13, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
i'm guessing only the new passports will work?? hopefully will speed things up a bit
Old May 13, 2010, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I would imagine all valid passports would work. The passport reader would be the same as the ones used by standard check-in agents (I assume).
Old May 13, 2010, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I would imagine all valid passports would work. The passport reader would be the same as the ones used by standard check-in agents (I assume).
Actually, It would be e-passports or bust.

Having a mere "machine readable passport" would almost certainly not be enough.

It's too easy to forge the "Machine Readable" bit.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:16 am

Most self service kiosks in use overseas are configured to recognise machine readable passports perfectly fine so I wouldn't think that NZ's would be any different.

On a separate note regarding the rollout of the kiosks - about bloody time!
Old May 14, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I'm guessing the bag drop will be like how the CHC Domestic one is set up. With staff standing at the counters scanning the bags before they go on the belt. Note: CHC has a premium bag drop unlike AKL.

Lets hope they install them on both sides of the Tasman.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I'd be surprised if non machine-readable passports work. Check in have to manually key in details for those.

I'm not sure if the kiosk will be able to handle passports issued by countries other than New Zealand and Australia.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'd be surprised if non machine-readable passports work. Check in have to manually key in details for those.

I'm not sure if the kiosk will be able to handle passports issued by countries other than New Zealand and Australia.
Surely there isn't many people left on non-machine-readable passports? NZ must be a decent way though phasing out non-chipped passports now. My old one that was un-chipped ran out last year & it was issued not to long before the chip ones came out.

I'd say the Kiosk will be able to NZ/AU/US passports
Old May 14, 2010, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Old passports had 10 year validity.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Surely there isn't many people left on non-machine-readable passports? NZ must be a decent way though phasing out non-chipped passports now. My old one that was un-chipped ran out last year & it was issued not to long before the chip ones came out.

I'd say the Kiosk will be able to NZ/AU/US passports
I still have over a year on mine. How long since the chipped once were introduced?
Old May 14, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by brenrox
I still have over a year on mine. How long since the chipped once were introduced?
Yep, still have over a year to go on my 10 year one. Don't want to give that up when the replacement will be only 5 years.

Have been under the definite impression that would need the new chipped one before I could use the new kiosks.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:37 pm

My old one ran out on the 10Jan10, so I must have got that one in Jan05. I'm pretty sure you could get chipped passports by mid 2005. So in theory then the first batch of chip passports will have been replaced by then. I don't say the current ones will last very long at all, they seem very cheaply made.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Just a note that "machine readable" passports are not necessarily micro-chipped.

They are of an older standard and the "Machine Readable" bit is purely optical using a standard font.

Look at the bottom of your photo page of your passport. The "Machine Readable" bit looks something like this:
Code:
P<AUSNURK<FRED<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
J1234567<4AUS510131M0802288<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<04
A 'machine' would read this as Australian passport number J1234567 for Fred Nurk (no middle name), born 31st Jan 1951, male, passport expiring on 28th February 2008.
Old May 14, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
They were introduced just before mid-2005. I replaced my passport in Feb 2005 to ensure I had 10 years of non-chipped passport, my current one expires in Feb 2015. On the other hand, I'll run out of space in it in a few months (nowhere near as quickly as Kiwi Flyer does!).
Old May 14, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
My old one ran out on the 10Jan10, so I must have got that one in Jan05. I'm pretty sure you could get chipped passports by mid 2005. So in theory then the first batch of chip passports will have been replaced by then. I don't say the current ones will last very long at all, they seem very cheaply made.
Or you may have had a child's passport (had to be <16 at time of issue I think) which were only valid for 5 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.