New Australia/Pacific Island structure

Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

It is as speculated - the new seating is well and truly awful.

Pretty much all of the plane at 30" pitch. Impossible to open a macbook air up, let alone work on it. Even with two seats, extremely uncomfortable for working - much like when Air NZ did this to domestic 737s a while back for a time. For a 3 or 4 hour flight, this was previously 3 or 4 hours of work. Now it is no hours of work.

Not that I have flown Qantas Economy, but I am sure the pitch is better. It could hardly be worse.

Of course, these flights are never full, so the removal of business class and pitch more generally has cost (ie reconfiguration and lower fares) rather than gained the airline any revenue.

Here is the reconfigured entertainment system:

Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by ntddevsys

Pretty much all of the plane at 30" pitch. Impossible to open a macbook air up, let alone work on it. Even with two seats, extremely uncomfortable for working - much like when Air NZ did this to domestic 737s a while back for a time. For a 3 or 4 hour flight, this was previously 3 or 4 hours of work. Now it is no hours of work.

Of course, these flights are never full, so the removal of business class and pitch more generally has cost (ie reconfiguration and lower fares) rather than gained the airline any revenue.

Here is the reconfigured entertainment system:

No surprise re the seating.

I am flying Works Deluxe in December. Am wondering what the catering will be like?

Oh, just seen this on the NZ site

You’ll be able to enjoy a similar-style of meal to what we serve in Economy Class on Tasman and Pacific flights today.

The food will be rubbish then. I will just have to drink the entire flight then
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Not that I have flown Qantas Economy, but I am sure the pitch is better. It could hardly be worse.
Nup, it's the same with QF - 30" IIRC. Perhaps 31" in the forward cabin. Business class perhaps 34-35" (unsure about the new 738 J seating pitch).

If I fly QF Jetconnect on the 734s in Y, row 4 is pretty good because extra legroom due to the next row being the last row of J.

The new 738 seats, I hear, have a thinner form factor. They also recline by sliding rather than just reclining the upper part of the seat. Both of these supposedly contribute artificially to a personal space increase. I can't be too sure because I haven't flown the new 738s, so perhaps someone with the experience here can back up (or shoot down).
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The new QF 73H seats are quite uncomfortable (for me). They are significantly shorter than the older seats.

Business seat pitch (73H) is 38".

AirNZ have had this IFE in the 320 for several months; even in the older seat configured aircraft. (They must have been able to update the IFE software quite easily).

(I flew in one last night, early loast month and in August).

Tonight I am having my last AirNZ Business class 320 flight T-T flight.

Last edited by serfty; Oct 16, 2010 at 11:53 pm
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:10 am

What row/side of the plane were you in ntddevsys?

When I talked to Bruce at the roadshow thing he mentioned that one of the things they were considering was whether to have 5 'rows' (as in the DEF side) of 32" or 4 rows of 34", and said that if the 5 rows of 32" turned out to be universally disliked Air NZ could easily do a overnight reconfig to make it 4 rows of 34". Sounds like they might need to put that back on the paper as an option...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

From reading this thread I am very strongly getting the feeling this whole swapover was done half baked, and on the run, with VERY little thought put into it.

Contradictions and inconsistencies all over the place. Looks like Aeroflot are advising them on how to make changes and p!ss off as many folks as they possibly can.

We are going to NZ in 2 weeks and even as Star Golds I booked us on Qantas ... no way am I getting into this kind of lotto.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I read some of this thread and I am very very confused

I booked NOU-AKL next year as part of a BD reward, now I understand why only Y was offered on that segment. Its an A320. When I go to select seats on airnz.com, I am given the option of row 4-8, everything else is blocked out (no way the plane is full months in advance).

I see works-deluxe seats in exit rows and up front, as a *G, I can get those?
Is there a difference between that and my 4A seat?

As long as they dont mess with my premiere seat to PEK, I guess I can suffer 2.5 hours to AKL in Y-.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I read some of this thread and I am very very confused

I booked NOU-AKL next year as part of a BD reward, now I understand why only Y was offered on that segment. Its an A320. When I go to select seats on airnz.com, I am given the option of row 4-8, everything else is blocked out (no way the plane is full months in advance).

I see works-deluxe seats in exit rows and up front, as a *G, I can get those?
Is there a difference between that and my 4A seat?.
I would choose something on the right hand side in rows 2 to 6, as these are supposed to have 32" rather than 30" on the rest of the aircraft.

Works Deluxe seats (those seats with a purple seat in the middle) are blocked for Works Deluxe pax - *G can only get access to the 'enhanced' space+ which runs 2-6 DEF. As we've been previously advised on this forum by Air NZ staff, reward tickets should book into Works so I'm assuming your seat map will show all Works Deluxe seats as filled.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Top of climb
*G can only get access to the 'enhanced' space+ which runs 2-6 DEF. As we've been previously advised on this forum by Air NZ staff, reward tickets should book into Works so I'm assuming your seat map will show all Works Deluxe seats as filled.
Thanks, that clears it up!

The seat map is showing 2-6 DEF occupied, but I guess thats because the FFnumber in the reservation is the BD non *G one.

Is there anyway on airnz manage booking to change the number associated with the booking, or does one have to call?

I cannot do it on lh.com or checkmytrip either
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thanks, that clears it up!

The seat map is showing 2-6 DEF occupied, but I guess thats because the FFnumber in the reservation is the BD non *G one.

Is there anyway on airnz manage booking to change the number associated with the booking, or does one have to call?

I cannot do it on lh.com or checkmytrip either
You'll have to call to add the *G number to it.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF WP, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold

Just wondering, which seat were you in?

The funny thing is that whenever I spoke to flight crew about the changes, those guys just shake their heads about the whole management of the changes on AirNZ's end.

Also - apparently the loads on a lot of the flights on the Sydney-ChCh trial were extremely high, but the FA's pretty much acknowledge that this was due to offers like the 69$ one-way trips etc. I'd be interested in what the load factors will be when the product is rolled out properly, but imho taken indirect cost such as loss of reputation for the agreeably very good long-haul product, FF'ers using other airlines etc. into account, this change will at best be a break-even for AirNZ.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:14 pm

Have a look at their business offers on the main site today -SYD ex CHC from $519 - except they are not available. Another symtom of an ailing body,with the hands and feet moving in different directions
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Have a look at their business offers on the main site today -SYD ex CHC from $519 - except they are not available. Another symtom of an ailing body,with the hands and feet moving in different directions
Good J deals ex-AKL though. AKL-SYD-AKL is under $1000 return excluding taxes.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:27 pm

This is how good NZ are treating any body who flys from Christchurch or Wellington - you cannot get cheap business class fares via AKL.

You can fly from any other place in the country via AKL and get their business class specials, BUT fly from Christchuch or Wellington and you get naff, zip - you pay full price.

Not just are they making these places second class in terms of service they are now p****** all over them saying stuff you.

Have a nice day and flight but not from Wellington or Christchurch
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I'm traveling on NZ135 on the 20/11/10 which is a couple of days after they introduce the new product ex AKL. This service is going to be a 744, any idea if the are going to have the BOB on the IFE with creditcards? as its differnt system to the 320/767s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.