Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Australia/Pacific Island structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Shazzadude
I wonder if this will have a positive effect for QANTAS.
Highly unlikely.EK might though, especially ex CHC.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Business class will still be available out of Auckland on wide body aircraft flights at prime times that meet the needs of corporate travellers and those Business Premier customers connecting with our long haul services.”

From July if you are flying NZ5 then onwards to SYD on NZ104 it's a A320

Vice Versa if you want to catch NZ2 AKL LAX then it's NZ118 on an A320 (except weekends). Be interesting how that works. I would be mighty annoyed to have paid Business Class and end up on a A320 with 32" seat pitch.
Indeed. I'm waiting to see what happens with my bookings.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
from what I have read on this so far this is terrible. More and more like Jetstar

And if the pitch is only up to 32" that suggests they are getting rid of space plus. Even if no one is next to me I still have bugger all legroom. I really don't understand why they would get rid of space plus.

Do Gold/ Gold elites get the Works Plus deal? If not, might as well fly Jetstar or Pacific Blue if i want a cheapo or Emirates when I want the premium.

Great opportunity for emirates to pick up the premium passengers from Christchurch. Might need to look at flying with them for my flights to Sydney.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
1. Seat only
2. Seat + Bag
3. The Works (plus a “Kids Works” option)
4. Works Deluxe
Can I get fries with that?

Seriously, an interesting concept if I heard one, and getting closer to the LCC type model.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to fare classes (esp. earnable fare classes) and price points (will there still be a Business price point. What might this do with through fares that have J connections?), and any particular benefits for *G/NZ Gold/NZ Gold Elite (if any).

Also, if it so happens that GAS fares are offered on such services, which "deal" will they be (my guess is "Seat Only").

I must say, though, that at least with Seat Only you still get basic refreshments for free. And it seems IFE is also thrown in, too. I guess one ought to start sneaking in a "lunch box" into the KCs if on such a fare. (Reminds me of BA's encouragement for those with lounge access to take and fill up a supplied brown paper bag with lounge goodies so as to eat on board).
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
My initial reaction is that NZ is 'dumbing down' its service and with all the different variations it will be difficult to judge value.

I'm not terribly worried about the A320 removing business class. Frankly it was below par. I hate the aircraft anyway, which may be a problem for me if more of them are introduced on the TT and PI routes which are the ones I mainly use nowadays.

But other benefits, such as Space+ which was introduced with such fanfare not so long ago, would be a great loss for koru and elite members.

Maybe NZ is intending to offer new benefits to these members, such as life membership (as mentioned recently) and extra baggage allowance.

We shall see. But I'm sceptical that these changes will be beneficial to most on this board.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Definitely sounds as if Space+ is going as LCC eg. JQ have 177-180 seats on their A320 and NZ are saying 171.
Next to go on domestic Kour Hour unless you pay the higher fares?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Obviously they dont think the South Island market deserves any kid of decent product. Just the cheapest no frills junk.

I am guessing the same "geniuses" in the marketing department who came up with "Works Plus" (sounds like a burger!) came up with the brilliant idea of offering free koru club to their lowest fare pax.

Their whole approach just seems really down market. Don't they know that its their premium pax and regular flyers who generate their profits. Not the people who will choose the cheapest fare any day regardless of airline. You will note there is no mention in the PR gumpf about their loyal frequent flyers.

Just looked up Emirates business class fares CHC-SYD in May, round trip $1,443.

Economy only $434! And thats full service. I'm going to give Emirates a go.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I'm glad I haven't booked my Christmas/Newyears Sydney trip, looks like I'm going J on LA now!

There is noway I could live with a seat only fare on SYD-AKL-SYD even if it was only for a 3day trip. I need to put all my shopping some where lol

I'm very inserted in what the new fares will be like!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:08 am

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
It's already news in Australia, as this link to a news story in The Australian shows.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225842454201
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:23 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by nzlilibet

I'm not terribly worried about the A320 removing business class. Frankly it was below par. I hate the aircraft anyway, which may be a problem for me if more of them are introduced on the TT and PI routes which are the ones I mainly use nowadays.

I agree 100% - I just hated the A320 business class. Avoid where possible - lovely crew but the product....oh dear!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Little bit disappointed to be honest, i think NZ will infact loose its more valuable customers with its goal of gaining more of the budget travellers, does not make sense to be honest...

Also with only a small amount of 767's in the fleet and delayed 787s, i think they will be stretching it to keep business class available to satisfy everyone.

Emirates looks like a very good idea now for Premium Travel/Business Class.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Obviously they dont think the South Island market deserves any kid of decent product. Just the cheapest no frills junk.

I am guessing the same "geniuses" in the marketing department who came up with "Works Plus" (sounds like a burger!) came up with the brilliant idea of offering free koru club to their lowest fare pax.

Their whole approach just seems really down market. Don't they know that its their premium pax and regular flyers who generate their profits. Not the people who will choose the cheapest fare any day regardless of airline. You will note there is no mention in the PR gumpf about their loyal frequent flyers.

Just looked up Emirates business class fares CHC-SYD in May, round trip $1,443.

Economy only $434! And thats full service. I'm going to give Emirates a go.
According to their email release, loadings in J have been down sometimes to one passenger per flight. Obviously they have made the call that they can remove J from their trans-Tasman service offering without effecting their premium long-haul passengers who connect.

Although I am a FF, I don't travel J across the Tasman - I just can't see the point when I can sit in Space+ for the price of Y.

Emirates just doesn't do it for me these days. I used to fly to BNE with them regularly, but IMO things have slowly gone backward. Plus their slots are not the greatest for me.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Not wanting to move this thread OT, but as an aside friend just moved from EK to QF as a Pilot. Listening to him not sure I ever want to get into an EK flight again. Much unhappiness on the flight deck by the sound of it.

I always Y TT as cant justify the fare with space+ and good IFE on 3ish hr flight. But do want to know how it will pan out for UGs and other FF benefits.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I hope they keep Space+
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have always perceived NZ to be a premium airline, and the long haul product changes recently announced only solidified this view. I've flown NZ a few times and had nothing but positive experiences and they would undoubtedly be my first choice on any route they fly.

However regardless of what the realities turn out to be, my perception of NZ as a premium airline can no longer be maintained after reading this. As mentioned it is total dumbing down and very much reminds me of bmi's ill-fated modularisation experiment. I think many people are be willing to pay more for NZ and now there is less to choose between them and the other airlines that cross the Tasman, price becomes a more important factor in airline choice.

Bad move but time will tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.