Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Luggage Transfer - Air New Zealand Domestic to International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:55 am
gms
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond

A quick search only turned up some quite old threads and looking on the airline website doesn't seem to provide a definitive answer.

I'm flying from Queenstown to Christchurch and then on to Sydney (Business class). All on Air New Zealand flights. My connection in CHC is only 60 minutes. The flights are booked on separate tickets. Will Air New Zealand check my luggage all the way through from ZQN to SYD? If not I'd better see if I can switch to an earlier flight from ZQN!

When I booked I assumed that this would be possible, but just a bit jittery now since I found that at CHC domestic check-in you had to use their automatic check-in machines, so not sure if it is the same at ZQN and whether these can handle through checking on two tickets.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Although self-service is becoming the norm, assistance is always available if you have something complicated.

Will leave it to others to address the other issues.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Just check your bags at International premium check in at Queenstown and pick them up at Sydney.
We have been amazed by the efficiency at ChCh, when arriving on a delayed flight from Wanaka and having to run to make a connection to Wellington and boarding while the off side engine was starting up our baggage made the flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Whilst they are making the domestic check-in experience more self-service (people wanted it, they didn't want to have talk to some bored person).

At AKL/WLG/CHC you will find the fully automated check-in, to the side of these check-in areas there is help desk (which has a large "Help is here" sign).

60minutes is a very tight connection, I would be out of my comfort zone doing a ZQN-CHC-SYD with a 60minute connection even on one ticket!

ZQN is prone to getting weather problems, an 30minute delay could though your plans out the door!. They may allow you to though check, but they may also refuse to being on two tickets.

What type of fare is you ZQN-CHC, if its a Flex Plus (refundable) you may want to call NZ and see if you can get a domestic add on fare for ZQN-CHC added to your PNR.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yes, ZQN can have its moments with weather. My Xmas funday was ruined when JQ was delayed out of ZQN in the morning ZQN-AKL, which delayed that schedule for that aircraft for the whole day by 2 hrs.

Net effect was my JQ flight WLG-AKL was delayed by 2 hrs from 1500 departure to 1710, ETA AKL 1815. My return on NZ (a $1 GAS) at 1830 was just too tight to risk, espcially since that was the last NZ flight for the day.

JQ did process a refund after I called them, so the day at WLG airport only cost me $1 (for teh non-flown GAS) plus parking at WLG (use the online system for great discounts). BUT I didn't get the NZ status credits I was planning on.... The only saving grace for the day was the KC Angel who allowed me access whilst waiting to decide if I could risk it or not!

Cheers, TK
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I'm not sure that NZ would be willing to check you in ZQN if your connection in CHC is an hour because i'm wondering if its below MCT.

Anways when you arrive at ZQN go to the right end of the NZ counters and the premium check in desk is there.

I have flown a couple times out of ZQN on international trips with seperate tickets and generally allow my self a couple of hours to be safe. What they wont do is check you in for a another carrier if its not on the same ticket.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agents at ZQN are well used to the frequency of delays. On the same ticket they would allow through check of bags (AFAIK CHC MCT is 1 hour), but on separate tickets I doubt they will on such a tight connection. Even if they do allow through check of bags, you still aren't out of the woods. Any delay out of ZQN means you will not reach CHC check in for the SYD flight.

While agents can check in at ZQN for a separate ticket departing from CHC, they are not allowed to do this.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
They have though, on occasion, checked bags through to final destinatation on 2 different tix for me - but no BP.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Through checking of bags and checking in for separate itinerary are two completely separate functions. The first is commonplace (wherever there is an interline agreement), the second is rare.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:52 am

If the staff at ZQN do break the rules (I would not recomend that you push them into checkin you in, as if you miss your connection they could end up in alot of trouble).

This is what you face.
* Mostly they would not be able to give your boarding pass. Which a delay as small as 15minutes would make you miss the check-in deadline at CHC.

* You are looking at a 5minute walk from the domestic gate to the International Check-In area. Make sure if you on a ATR you are in the back & on a 737 in the very front.

* Check-in at CHC is only open when there are flights going out within the next 3hours, so there may be no one at check-in if you arrive late.

* Once you have a boarding pass you will need to goto the Bank of New Zealand to pay the $25NZD departure tax!

* Next you will need to pass though customs, note they do close inbetween flights, so if your too late you may find your self locked out.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:18 am
gms
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their responses. My flights are listed as valid connections when booking online, I just hadn't anticipated that Air New Zealand wouldn't officially allow through checked luggage on separate tickets!

I might now see if there is an earlier flight I can switch to - a quick check reveals that there is now another flight leaving 15 minutes before the one I am due to go on (that wasn't listed when I originally booked). Maybe I can switch to that to give me a bit of extra buffer (or mayble the checkin agent might just put me on it anyway if there is space?).
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by gms
Maybe I can switch to that to give me a bit of extra buffer (or mayble the checkin agent might just put me on it anyway if there is space?).
Is your ticket a Smart Saver or a Flex Plus?

If you on a Smart Saver, its highly unlikely the agent will put you on that flight. As your ticket doesn't allow day of departure changes. IF you have a Smart Saver, you may change your flight up to 24hours before hand, there is a $50 change fee + $25 service fee (waived if done online) + any fare difference.

Flex Plus fares do allow day of departure flight changes.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:20 pm
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Is your ticket a Smart Saver or a Flex Plus?
It's a flexi saver ticket - so changes up to the day before departure.

I called Air New Zealand this morning (for some reason I can't retrieve the booking online) intending to change my booking, however the agent assured me I would be fine with my current reservation. Even though they are on different tickets she confirmed that they would check me all the way through from ZQN and I would not need to collect the bags and recheck in CHC.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
and if you flight out of Queenstown is delayed by an hour .....?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:29 pm
gms
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
and if you flight out of Queenstown is delayed by an hour .....?
I guess that's why I have travel insurance!

But if my flight is delayed then I'll do my best to get transferred onto the one leaving 15 minutes earlier. If both are delayed then I'm out of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.