FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Special restrictions on # of carry-ons on US flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1014709-special-restrictions-carry-ons-us-flights.html)

Braniff Nov 7, 2009 3:26 am

Special restrictions on # of carry-ons on US flights

I noticed this warning on their web-page. Is this enforced for business class passengers ??? I'd be brining my garment bag and a standard airline size carry-on. Will be flying AKL-LAX in December.

Carry-on Baggage Policy for flights to, from and through the USA

Due to the current security processing required by the USA Federal Aviation Administration, passengers travelling in all classes are allowed to bring only one piece of carry-on baggage, not to exceed 115cm or weigh in excess of 7kg, plus one personal item such as a purse, lap top or briefcase.

Kiwi Flyer Nov 7, 2009 11:06 am

You'll be fine for AKL-LAX.

You probably will be fine for LAX-AKL (I've had 2 carry-ons before without issues in USA), but Air NZ is warning you may have to check one of them.

Libenitz Nov 7, 2009 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 12782905)
Due to the current security processing required by the USA Federal Aviation Administration, passengers travelling in all classes are allowed to bring only one piece of carry-on baggage, not to exceed 115cm or weigh in excess of 7kg, plus one personal item such as a purse, lap top or briefcase.

I've never had a carry on bag weighed in the states but you may have a problem in NZ if you go over the 7kg limit. They have scales at the gates to double check.

MaryHillyer Nov 8, 2009 4:02 pm

Not a problem

As a 1K you will ck in at the NZ premium desk at AKL where the staff is exceedingly helpful; I've NEVER, EVER had a problem w/ carry-on there (& I confess to pushing any reasonable limit due to carrying bulky, delicate scientific instruments aboard). Same is true at SFO & LAX; haven't ckd in through YVR but a friend w/ UA 1P status mentioned they're 'pretty generous.'

zqsn5678 Nov 8, 2009 4:43 pm

i've never had problems with air nz neither, there was once i picked up a huge duty free item on top of my usual two carry on. they did not say a word. i was only a koru and in PE.:)

Nevsky Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm

I just want to check if the foregoing comments are still the case (that is that the carryon rules are not strictly enforced), in particular after the heightened security this year. My main carryon is over 15 lbs and I usually also have a shopping bag. Am I likely to have a problem? I am *Gold and thinking of traveling economy to Auckland and then to Sydney from the US. Also, any comparisons with United economy would be appreciated.

Kiwi Flyer Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

From USA not a problem. To USA is where the stricter enforcement occurs.

Nevsky Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 13678098)
From USA not a problem. To USA is where the stricter enforcement occurs.

How strict is it? Is it weight? Is it number of articles? If I have a stack of newspapers in addition to one bag, is that likely to be a problem? Shopping bag?

Also, are there baggage issues going to/from Australia?

If likely to have problems, I might just avoid New Zealand and fly United to Sydney direct.

Kiwi Flyer Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm

AKL-SYD you will be in transit so no problem.

SYD, like AKL and many airports in this part of the world, has airport staff check carry on bags for weight before immigration. If it looks big or heavy they get weighed - not if it doesn't.

SYD check in is contract staff, who tend to enforce rules a bit more. If you appear to have too much carry on gear then you'll be asked to check some.

Flying UA won't make any difference.

serfty Mar 30, 2010 4:22 pm

The rule quoted in post #1 is related to the regulations for all flights to/from/within the USA.
  • 1 Piece
  • 1 Personal Item

The Piece rules (e.g. as to Size, Weight) are airline specific. Typically USA airlines may permit a higher maximum weight than AirNZ's 7Kg.