Expiring miles

Old Sep 21, 09, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Expiring miles

I am flying more on Star Alliance these days, but over the last 4 yrs flew 100K + on Flying Blue and had about 80K in my account. I log in there quite often, and sent Sixt miles to this account, thinking that it would keep the account "active" as I think Star Alliance works this way.

In any case, during the 1st week of Sept., I was shopping for an award flight for my Wife, as I needed a one way trans Atlantic and I can't get this with my Star Alliance miles. I found several flights but did not purchase, as I wanted to speak with my Wife about her preferences. 4 days later, I log in to my account, and there are only 1000 miles. While I understand I may have misunderstood the FB expiration rules, I did not see anywhere in my acct information about the date the miles were expiring. I did see something that said "Last Activity" was 3 weeks ago from one of my car rentals.

Anyone know if there is anything I can do to get the miles back? Is there any functionality that I can "opt in" to that will send me a message BEFORE miles expire? I can't believe that their system does not prompt you via email or pop up that this is about to happen...ESPECIALLY as I was shopping for awards flights only a few days earlier.

I did immediately call customer service and they suggested I send an email, which I also did. No response after 2 weeks.

Thanks,

fduvall

Last edited by fduvall; Sep 21, 09 at 11:07 am Reason: added information
Old Sep 22, 09, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Here is the e-mail I received on Sept 4...miles disappeared 2 days later.

<<<As per 8 Aug. you can spend 78,739 Award Miles.
Current level:
Ivory
Flying Blue number:>>>

No where in this email can I find an expiration date, nor can I find it when I log in to my account.

Thanks for any input/feedback.
Old Sep 22, 09, 4:19 pm

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Tried calling FB service desk?

I remember a friend of mine (Dutch FB Ivory) got a letter that his miles were about the expire.

Before they expire just get a FB Amex credit card and spend some money with it to make all your miles valid for another 20 months again.
Old Sep 23, 09, 1:39 am

Programs: SK EBS, FB Ivory, AA
I received an e-mail from FB in May that my miles were due to expire end of August.

In the same mail they offered to extend the expiration date to end of September and specified that I needed to take a flight with AF/KL or Skyteam partner to extend the points for another 20 months.

So I took a cheap flight with KL ARN-AMS 19SEP-20SEP.
Old Sep 23, 09, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by KLeM View Post
Before they expire just get a FB Amex credit card and spend some money with it to make all your miles valid for another 20 months again.
Could be a problem getting one in Zurich or Sausalito ...
Old Sep 23, 09, 5:03 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Could be a problem getting one in Zurich or Sausalito ...
You need a Dutch or French bankaccount, but if you have one of these, you shouldn't have much problem getting one.

Getting the bankaccount however, is a bigger problem.
Old Sep 23, 09, 3:08 pm

Programs: FB PE
Originally Posted by fduvall View Post
No where in this email can I find an expiration date, nor can I find it when I log in to my account.
yes, you can see the expiry date: you need to log in, go to Mileage Summary, and then click on Miles Expiry (somewhere top right). Of course it will only show an expiry date if you are Ivory, as miles don´t expire as long as you are Elite.
Old Sep 24, 09, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Even that is not accurate.
xxxxxx Miles will start expiring from 12/2010
So December 2010, but 1 December, 31 December or the mid-month date of the last qualifying transaction from 20 months previously?

(Sigh) It should be so easy ...
Old Sep 24, 09, 6:40 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
FYI, there were some experiences here that it happened around the middle or even the beginning of the month, despite having been told by FB about the end of the month. So don't wait too long.
You are right it could be so easy, but FB obvoiuosly can't (or don't want) to make it easy.
Old Sep 26, 09, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PLAT / HH GOLD
Well, somebody might know this..... Elite level will expire March 2009, at that point the account will turn to Ivory member, when will the miles expire ? 20 months from that date ? or goes back to the last flight activity posted lets say 2008 ?, thanks
Old Sep 26, 09, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MileSmiles View Post
Well, somebody might know this..... Elite level will expire March 2009, at that point the account will turn to Ivory member, when will the miles expire ? 20 months from that date ? or goes back to the last flight activity posted lets say 2008 ?, thanks
Let's assume that in march 2010 you had no activity in the past 20 months and you move to ivory.
Several posters here suggested that the status moves from elite to ivory on April 1, and "immediately" (or within a month) the miles expire as you are ivory and had no activities in the past 20 months. It seems fully consistent with the rules, where nothing is said about past elite level and expiry.
Old Sep 29, 09, 1:50 pm

Programs: FB PE
yes for Ivory members it is 20 months after last flight, not 20 months after being downgraded. Seems logical to me, the system is surely just set to check activity for Ivory members, but I also got confirmation from that from the FB HelpDesk (can we call it that now?)

Search this Thread