How is flying with NW these days?

Old May 18, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, TK Miles&Smiles Elite
How is flying with NW these days?

Hello,

for an upcoming trip in June I want to use an old ECV voucher I still have from last year (downgrade compensation due to irrops)... can anyone tell how DL/NW treat FB Golds right now? Does NW still give complimentary upgrades to First and can I visit the former WorldClubs on a purely domestic itinerary? I expect these perks to go away soon, but does anyone know about a timeline?

Thanks,
haggis
Old May 18, 2009, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by haggis79
Hello,

for an upcoming trip in June I want to use an old ECV voucher I still have from last year (downgrade compensation due to irrops)... can anyone tell how DL/NW treat FB Golds right now? Does NW still give complimentary upgrades to First and can I visit the former WorldClubs on a purely domestic itinerary? I expect these perks to go away soon, but does anyone know about a timeline?

Thanks,
haggis
nobody knows for sure, but right now everthing is still in place. My guess is that the next milestone comes with CO exiting Skyteam and removal of the reciprocal benis ... wouldn't be surprised if Delta took the oportunity to get FB out of the picture as well.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
is it true that there will be no more free booze on NW transatlantic flights after june 1st? They are supposed to implement deltas one drink with dinner system, but i cannot believe as they are also codesharing with klm.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
agree with cfischer - I would add that no one, not even FB, is as adept at devaluing their FFP than Delta. So much so that I will stay with FB even after their recent insulting performance re: April 1st '09.

I have always had problems getting preferred seating on DL, have had to call every time. NW has never been a problem in that regard, but that is going away too.
Old May 19, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
+1.

When I book a DL ticket (on Delta's website), my FB "Elite Plus" status is shown but I don't get offered preferred seating. NW still works, though, but I don't know how long this will last.
Old May 19, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: FB PLAT FL, QR PLAT, A3 SIL, HH DIA, DISCOVERY PLAT
Hi,

be sure to book NW flights

121-1799 NW flights
1800 - 2034 NWflights/Compass Airlines

2100 - 2969 NW/Pinnacle Airlines
2800 - 2964 NW/Pinnacle Airlines
3000 - 3649 NW/Mesaba Airlines
5100 -5649 NW/Horizon Airlines

the last four ones I believe they are one class configuration.

Then the flights NW 121- 2034 with higher chances for complementary UG.

Avoid to book (NW 9xxx) flights, they are DL operated

you can check in the pdf timetable

http://www.nwa.com/travel/timetable/...ive_050209.pdf

Last month, I was uged in a NW (four digits) flight operated by DL MEM-ATL when I asked the lady in the Sky Club (ex W.C.) in Memphis, she did a phone call and told me I got 80% chances for ug, later I got it at gate. Doesn't hurt to ask.

The icon NW dissapeared in the ex World Clubs and also in the Skyteam website, and podiums at DTW airport. That's sad...
Old May 19, 2009, 5:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
I just picked up 4 segments on NWA - one of which was DL metal. The NWA flights were great. I was upgraded on 2 of 3 flights, the one in coach was the 2nd row of coach, aisle.

DL gave me a nice seat right at the back of the bus, despite skyteam platinum elite being marked on my ticket.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dctorres
I just picked up 4 segments on NWA - one of which was DL metal. The NWA flights were great. I was upgraded on 2 of 3 flights, the one in coach was the 2nd row of coach, aisle.

DL gave me a nice seat right at the back of the bus, despite skyteam platinum elite being marked on my ticket.
Yes. It would seem that the good old days will soon be completely over when NW is completely DL plated.

The kinds of operational travel experience benefits that made choosing the no-nonsense combination of KLNW a no-brainer will soon be relegated to the dust bin as the combined corporate arrogance of Gallia's AF and the antebellum South's DL will result in a consumer-unfriendly behemoth. Choosing AFKLDL will just be bad business in future.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes, while there is technical uncertainty, the sense is that this is more an acquisition than a merger - NW is being entirely swallowed by DL which is about as bad as it could get for us.

Was upgraded on a NW flight to HNL the other day - completely unexpected (and not something we are normally entitled to). By contrast, was never ever upgraded on DL even on vastly overbooked flights where their basic members (and probably people without FFPs ) take precedence over FB plat.

DL computer system is bad and will never offer you preferred seating automatically, you have to ask, the new 'Sky clubs' (replacing DL/NW lounges) ask for an intl connection to let you in and the only thing they have retained from the world clubs is free internet.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:01 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
I've flown 10 domestic segments in NW this year (all before Apri 1st) and was upgraded 9 times. I was also granted access to the NW World Clubs without any international connection and the luggage fee was waived.
I also have upcoming segments for next month. I guess that until NW actually disappears we might get both benefits, but this just a hinch...
Old May 22, 2009, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tff
I've flown 10 domestic segments in NW this year (all before Apri 1st) and was upgraded 9 times. I was also granted access to the NW World Clubs without any international connection and the luggage fee was waived.
I also have upcoming segments for next month. I guess that until NW actually disappears we might get both benefits, but this just a hinch...
Sadly, NW has already almost completely disappeared: if you look at the Skyteam airline logos page, there is no more NW logo, only Delta, NW planes now carry the DL in flight magazine, NW staff now wear the DL clothes, domestic F class food is now the DL standard (in my opinion vastly inferior to what NW used to serve), planes have become interchangeable, and you are welcomed on 'Northwest Airlines, a fully owned subsidiary of Delta airline'. If you ask me, this is both very sad and very bad news for FB members (and of course our WP friends)...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.