Wiki Posts
Search

changes on 4/1/09: Who is leaving and when [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:47 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Booked my award today to empty out my account....^au revoir Flying Blue...
cleaned out my account this week as well, they must be loving this spike in miles burning going on
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GK
cleaned out my account this week as well, they must be loving this spike in miles burning going on
If you're booking and flying AF-KL then yes they'll be earning on the taxes and surcharges and with minimal costs for the actual flight.

If you wanted to hurt/pay-them-back then you should be booking awards with their ST partners as they would then be forced to pay the partner for the ticket. That would sting a lot more! ^
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:10 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
After April 1, no more flights on AF-KLM for me (unless absolutely necessary) and my FB account will grow only by my AMEX FB spending, adding the miles earned during Jan-Mar, I should still be able to obtain at least Gold but hopefully Platinum for another year...not that Platinum has ever done me any good since I've become one.

And I have changed all my flight plans April onwards to StarAlliance. Does anyone know if LH will match status on Flying Blue Platinum? I tried to find the answer in status match master thread but the thread has become so big and I got lost.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Hi all, because I moved from France to Italy I used more and more AZ flights and then I became Freccia Alata (equivalent to FB Gold) flying with AZ and Czech Airlines which is underrated but very efficient and useful if you travel towards Eastern Europe.
Anyway I discovered recently that all SkyTeam companies slashed down the miles earned with flights and they cut especially the miles earned flying with partners airlines.
Just to give you an idea, before Alitalia was giving me 1200 status miles for most of its crappy flights and 1200 status miles for most of the flights done with Czech airlines with very low fares.
With just 10 intra-European transfer 2way flights (through Prague) I got the Freccia Alata/FB Gold status...
but now every Alitalia flight is 1000 miles (1500 if Y) and flights with OK only 750 miles!!!

For me it is very bad! If I want to keep my status I have to flight more with AZ (at least 25 2way direct flights in Q,T,V class) and even more and more with AF and OK.
Because my flights are mainly in Europe it will be difficult to keep it... I was dreaming about FB but situations seems worse.
I start looking at Lufthansa but I would like to enjoy Gold benefits while I am travelling.... and this is currently not possible unless if they give me a Gold card.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by bobsmo
OK+ also offers 30 segments to Gold/E+.
Just to note that the very cheapest AF (L,N) & KL (N,V) fares do not count as segments for OK+, you just earn the 25% miles. OTOH cheapo fares on CO, DL and NW all earn 100% miles!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Squerez
Hi all, because I moved from France to Italy I used more and more AZ flights and then I became Freccia Alata (equivalent to FB Gold) flying with AZ and Czech Airlines which is underrated but very efficient and useful if you travel towards Eastern Europe.
Anyway I discovered recently that all SkyTeam companies slashed down the miles earned with flights and they cut especially the miles earned flying with partners airlines.
Just to give you an idea, before Alitalia was giving me 1200 status miles for most of its crappy flights and 1200 status miles for most of the flights done with Czech airlines with very low fares.
With just 10 intra-European transfer 2way flights (through Prague) I got the Freccia Alata/FB Gold status...
but now every Alitalia flight is 1000 miles (1500 if Y) and flights with OK only 750 miles!!!

For me it is very bad! If I want to keep my status I have to flight more with AZ (at least 25 2way direct flights in Q,T,V class) and even more and more with AF and OK.
Because my flights are mainly in Europe it will be difficult to keep it... I was dreaming about FB but situations seems worse.
I start looking at Lufthansa but I would like to enjoy Gold benefits while I am travelling.... and this is currently not possible unless if they give me a Gold card.
From other posts, it seems that LH is doing status match. Given the develoment of their new company LH Italia, they must be very happy to attract pax like you to switch from AZ to LH Italia. Status matching is a "cheap" way to attract frequent flyers.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Originally Posted by brunos
From other posts, it seems that LH is doing status match. Given the develoment of their new company LH Italia, they must be very happy to attract pax like you to switch from AZ to LH Italia. Status matching is a "cheap" way to attract frequent flyers.
I checked but it seems finished. It was the Dolce Vita promo. I hope they will do something fast so that I will be able to switch to LH as I am based in Milan!!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:59 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Going to burn on some extended holidays in March. No more trying to keep plat, just soft landings, and more business for the LCC's from me. So effectively I'll be starting my leaving as of now.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 4:06 pm

It's a case by case thing. I knew my travel would be taing off again, so I looked into my choices as a Dutch resident. If you're flying under a business policy, to a *A destination, stick with them. OW are no fun for economy. If you're flying intercontinental, and get to use the business cabin, BA is a real no brainer. I had a couple of business class returns in Europe, and two business returns intercontinental, and I'm BA gold. God only knows the miles i have now. No effort. I'm amazed at the FB Plats so enthused by their lounge. The First lounges in OW are something really special. The vintage champagnes are so good. There is a big downside. You have to add 3 hours for a transfer. But that doesn't worry me, I even take a later flight to use the lounges a little longer. Horses for courses, but if you're in no hurry, the BA product us sound, the FFP is very good, and it's acheivable.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
If you wanted to hurt/pay-them-back then you should be booking awards with their ST partners as they would then be forced to pay the partner for the ticket. That would sting a lot more! ^
That's exactly what I did with my last miles...

Cheers,
Joe
Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:10 am

Programs: M&M
My last ST flight was about two years ago.

I have donated all my unused miles to KLM Aircares: to Wings of Support and to SOS Kinderdorf FB.

Last edited by flytofly; Jan 16, 2009 at 2:15 am
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver
Thumbs down

This year I gave preference to KLM-AF over other airlines, thus obtaining the Platinum for the first time. I am glad that I didn't do that in previous years, because I think this will be the last time. Best of luck, KLM. I used to like Schiphol a lot.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Leaving tomorrow-CDG-ORY .Though staying with AF as BA /eurostar don't fly /chug to LCY(anymore/yet)
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Company policy and especially routes flown restrict me to change. However, as soon as I find a way to change that without quitting job or latest change that when my expatriation changes...bye bye Lying Poo!
Obviously they don't care about the individual but at least I will end up with better frequent flyer benefits through that!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by typhoon
What annoys me most about the Flying blue changes is the fact that it has become more 'expensive' to earn miles, and at the same time, more 'expensive' to spend miles due to redemption inflation for business and first redemptions. This is double inflation, and isnt equitable for members.

Taxes are crazy - on an intra european mileage award, I was quoted €200+ taxes for one person for an economy ticket from Ireland to Germany via CDG. When 'free tickets' cost €200 it is a waste of time earning miles for redemption, and membership for me is more for the benefits of easy transit through CDG, lounge access, and hopefully being better looked after if and when things go wrong.

The lowest award taxes are on non AF/KL flights. DL for example have sub €75 return surcharges on transatlantic flights and can be booked online.
Well, the taxes are mainly boggus "fuel surcharges". Not actual taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.