How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Old May 6, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: flying blue
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Of course the system is what drives things, but as long as humans control computers there is ALWAYS the opportunity for staff to bend the rules 😉. Anything is possible. E.g. last year I was on a Delta "non upgradeable" ticket but ended up first on the upgrade list.
Obviously, for staff to be able to bend the rules they need to have a justifiable reason. "I like the passenger" is not enough.
yes sure, after all it is human and it also depends on which airline and which out stations. A friend of mine gets upgrade quite often flying out HKG because her best friend works as ground supervisor. Lucky her but not fair for regular pax :-(
Old May 6, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Never, and I've been gold. Back to BA for me
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Thumbs up On KLM

While I was quietly seated in eco waiting for takeoff, the steward comes and ask me to follow him ...Thanking me for my loyalty, he proposed a seat in business on this long journey between Vancouver and Amsterdam on KLM. After a moment of hesitation I finally accepted ... Thank you KLM ^
Goldorak, AZ112, arjen05 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by delanotre
While I was quietly seated in eco waiting for takeoff, the steward comes and ask me to follow him ...Thanking me for my loyalty, he proposed a seat in business on this long journey between Vancouver and Amsterdam on KLM. After a moment of hesitation I finally accepted ... Thank you KLM ^
thats super cool ^
was the flight full in Y ?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by Goldorak

thats super cool ^
was the flight full in Y ?
Almost full and only 3 seats in J
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold
Just got upgraded last Sunday (FOR - AMS) to businessclass. I'm Gold, however I was travelling with my mother at the time who is not even in the FB programme. We both got the upgrade last minute at boarding.

It was a good experience, however I've traveled on business before from GIG - AMS on the 777 and it was by far superior to the old WBC on their 332s operating from Fortaleza. Food was ok but the seat was probably the worst business class seat I've experienced so far. Even TAP Portagal that also operates 332s has better business class seats. If I had paid full business class fare I would be utterly disappointed however with a free upgrade I'm not complaining
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Does anyone know if they still do these upgrades when you move from Silver to Gold? I'll hit Gold flying European J so curious if my next economy leg with either AF or KL will be upgraded.

Last edited by B0gdan; Jul 27, 2018 at 8:43 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by B0gdan
Does anyone know if they still do these upgrades when you move from Silver to Gold? I'll hit Gold flying European J so curious if my next economy leg with either AF or KL will be upgraded.
No they do not upgrade you to celebrate you became Gold. Also not from Gold to Platinum. I never heard they did so in the past.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:37 am

How often? A number of times over the past 10 years, various loyality levels, both KLM and AF, most recently today - an on-board "upgrade".

A young mother was causing "chaos" while boarding and talking to the purser (she was saying that herself - "I'm sorry for causing chaos"), then I hear 5E..., 5E?...man, that's next to me...

So here she goes her and her infant... but then the stewardess moves in saying "Would you mind "moving forward" sir so she can have more space?... and the purser will assist you with a different seat?...." Of course I would NOT mind, you're welcome!"

Ehh, I do miss Euro-Business, I used to upgrade quite often when I had no status and the price was right, I'm one of those guys who will take 2 empty economy seats next to me over 1 fancy american one but occupied, so that worked for me just fine. But now - with status - it's difficult to justify it. Although recently I've adopted a system - for each complimentary upgrade I will purchase another one.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Got a welcome upgrade to business (I'm FB Plat) with Air France from CDG to Munich due to economy being full. I only found out after boarding but realised that my seat number automatically updated on the app boarding pass and so in future it could be worthy a punty refresh before max'ing out on food in the lounge as it kinda seems like a waste having a full belly when the meal gets served.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by BobTL

No they do not upgrade you to celebrate you became Gold. Also not from Gold to Platinum. I never heard they did so in the past.
I got an upgrade on my first AF flight while Gold (preceded by one KL non-full flight), but then I wasn't the only one and the flight was actually full.
I suppose if "time since last upgrade" factors into the algorithm, it might mean that fresh Golds would tend to get their first upgrade fairly soon.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I got an upgrade on my first AF flight while Gold (preceded by one KL non-full flight), but then I wasn't the only one and the flight was actually full.
I suppose if "time since last upgrade" factors into the algorithm, it might mean that fresh Golds would tend to get their first upgrade fairly soon.
That was my feeling too.

On a related note, I was upgrade twice while Silver intra-EU (thrice if you count Delta). Once on a AZ flight MUC - FCO and another time on a KL flight OTP - AMS, both overbooked from what I remember.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
I haven't, but I think I was going to be, but then I had to change the flight, so, that went down the drain.
I was upgraded on LH longhaul once though, with no status at all. But a fairly expensive ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I receive more upgrade (on AF/KL international flight) with my Skymiles diamond in 1.5 years, than with my FB Platinum in over 5 years....
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I receive more upgrade (on AF/KL international flight) with my Skymiles diamond in 1.5 years, than with my FB Platinum in over 5 years....

Could you, please, elaborate on this? Do you mean that when you fly as a SkyMiles Diamond AFKL metal with a 006 ticket you get more often opup'ed to J than when you flew as an FB Platinum AFKL metal with a 057/074 ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.