Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many times have you been upgraded on AF/KL ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Macaron54

Could you, please, elaborate on this? Do you mean that when you fly as a SkyMiles Diamond AFKL metal with a 006 ticket you get more often opup'ed to J than when you flew as an FB Platinum AFKL metal with a 057/074 ticket?
Does the ticket number matter?

I used to buy all of my AF/KL travel on 006 stock through DL to avoid the European credit card fees ... hope that isn’t the reason I almost never got upgraded.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Calchas
Does the ticket number matter?

I used to buy all of my AF/KL travel on 006 stock through DL to avoid the European credit card fees ... hope that isn’t the reason I almost never got upgraded.

It certainly does. Why would AFKL do any favor to someone who flies code-share and is not FB? Symmetrically, on DL flights, SkyMiles members always have precedence over FB members when it comes to upgrades. For crying out loud, a Silver medallion will be selected before an FB Ultimate . DL calls it a reciprocity measure.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Macaron54

It certainly does. Why would AFKL do any favor to someone who flies code-share and is not FB? Symmetrically, on DL flights, SkyMiles members always have precedence over FB members when it comes to upgrades. For crying out loud, a Silver medallion will be selected before an FB Ultimate . DL calls it a reciprocity measure.
Not talking about codeshares. That’s unrelated to the ticket number. And the frequent flyer number is also unrelated.

You can buy a KL-operated AF-numbered flight on DL stock and put in your MU frequent flyer number if you like.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Calchas
Not talking about codeshares. That’s unrelated to the ticket number. And the frequent flyer number is also unrelated.

You can buy a KL-operated AF-numbered flight on DL stock and put in your MU frequent flyer number if you like.

You are absolutely correct, but that is extraneous to the point. As a matter of principle, AFKL will not opup on its flights a SkyMiles member with a ticket from DL stock. Likewise, DL will not opup on its flights an FB member with a ticket from AFKL stock (actually, DL will not opup FB members, unless no SkyMiles member shows up). In addition, there are caveats to the point you are making. For instance, if I buy a ticket for an AFKL flight on DL stock, the XPs I will accrue on my FB account will not count towards Utimate status. In addition, if I buy a ticket for an AFKL flight in Y or W on DL stock, I will likely be denied access to the lounges at AMS and CDG (it happened to me a few times at the Platinum level ; never tried since I went up to Ultimate).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
SU on its metal as a policy will only upgrade those booked on SU coded flights and will not do that on codeshares. Exceptions happen of course.
As for the FFP number i cannot say, most likely SU FFP will prevail over other SkyTeam as with other airlines.
Ticket stock not relevant but most SU flights are sold on SU anyways.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club
I just got upgraded flying back from Vienna to Paris on Monday. Upgrade was made inside the plane with the Purser coming to our seats and asking us to follow her. We were granted 1D and 1F

It happened to me already couple of times including flights CDG-JFK-CDG.

Maybe is a question of been lucky.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: FB Plat
Upgraded on LYS->AMS from Y to "Business Europe" today. Second intra-europe upgrade in a year. FB Plat.
When I checked availability, there were 5 seats left in J out of 12, when flying only 2 J left, so 2-3 upgrades at most.
The next LYS->AMS flight of the day was already full in Y when looking for availabilities last month, so the season probably helped.

Last edited by Zarmakuizz; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:37 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
I never got an upgrade from AF/KLM since more than 10 years. I am platinum since 3 years, and was gold 2 years before that!
On Qatar, I was regularly upgraded between 2013 and 2015 (basic/silver/gold status), almost 50% of my flights, but since 2016, very rarely (one time this year, for a CDG-DOH flight, but a lot of PAX were upgraded that day). If I remember well, they change their privilege program policy end of 2015.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
AF338 today, two FB Gold upgraded at a self check-in kiosk at CDG while connecting from ZRH. Originally booked in W, upgraded for free to C (message on kiosk „we‘re happy to offer you an upgrade“ and new boarding passes printed). My mother stayed in W, of course I offered my seat to her.

I guess there was a change in aircraft from quick-fix to regular 772.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by KL803
AF338 today, two FB Gold upgraded at a self check-in kiosk at CDG while connecting from ZRH. Originally booked in W, upgraded for free to C (message on kiosk „we‘re happy to offer you an upgrade“ and new boarding passes printed). My mother stayed in W, of course I offered my seat to her.

I guess there was a change in aircraft from quick-fix to regular 772.
My mom was also upgraded at the gate. Now all three of are scattered around the business class: 2E, 10A, 12L 😀

Last edited by KL803; Aug 24, 2018 at 5:11 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by KL803

My mom was also upgraded at the gate. Now all three of are scattered around the business class: 2E, 10A, 12L 😀
Lucky you. I think the last free upgrade as STE+ was 2 years ago on a China Southern flight from Guangzhou to AMS. Apparently oversold in Y and my status made apparently a difference for the Chinese. For free upgrades on AF/KL, I must go back 8 to 10 years. Only paid upgrades afterwards.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BlueBiz, IHG Spire Amb & Biz Rewards, Hertz PC
Only once in 10 years flying AF/KL (FB Plat). Got bumped from Prem Eco to Biz JFK-PAR but that was a while ago, they could do better.. especially since they do give free upgrades to DL Members through Delta's complementary certificates.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:21 am

Upgraded last week JFK-CDG from Y to W.

At OLCI, I could select business seats if I was willing to pay >$700 but could not select any premium economy seats. Stuck with my regular economy but check in failed due to a 'technical problem.'
Figured I would just check in at the airport and kiosk printed weirdly showed class of travel as premium economy and printed out a premium economy boarding pass.

Strange, as my only other experience with a free upgrade was done at the gate (KL, JFK-AMS, years ago).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rfrn
Strange, as my only other experience with a free upgrade was done at the gate (KL, JFK-AMS, years ago).
Happy for you
Nothing strange here. Y was overbooked and likely heavily overbooked. Op-ups in case of overbooking can happen anytime : at check-in (OLCI/airport counter), at closing of check-in/at boarding and eventually on-board (happened to me a bunch of times, but of course it's rare). The more overbooked a flight is, the earlier the op-ups are processed usually.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Originally Posted by rfrn
Upgraded last week JFK-CDG from Y to W..
Do you have status with Flying Blue/ST?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.