Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some advice about baggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Some advice about baggage

My wife and I fly into CDG and had planned on carryons from ATL We connect at CDG with an Alitalia flight to FCO. We have a little over an hour to connect.
Alitalia has "crazy" carry-on restrictions (11lbs) so we know that we will need to check our rolling bag.
Our reasoning for carry-on only is usually to make sure our bags make it to our destination. This is something we have always done at CDG (something about a bad reputation there about losing bags ).
Alitalia,especially recently, has the REAL bad rep with their baggage problems.
With the short connect would be wiser to check the bags? Would this increase the liklihood of our bags making it to the Alitalia flight?
Or,are we better off with our original plan?
I appreciate your suggestions.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:46 pm

Presumably you are on a single PNR and your boarding passes for the AZ flight will be issued at ATL?

In that case I'd hang on to the bags.

The worst that can happen is that they will take them off you at the gate at CDG. If the flight isn't full they may not even do that. In either case the bags will end up on your flight.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jabez
My wife and I fly into CDG and had planned on carryons from ATL We connect at CDG with an Alitalia flight to FCO. We have a little over an hour to connect.
Alitalia has "crazy" carry-on restrictions (11lbs) so we know that we will need to check our rolling bag.
Our reasoning for carry-on only is usually to make sure our bags make it to our destination. This is something we have always done at CDG (something about a bad reputation there about losing bags ).
Alitalia,especially recently, has the REAL bad rep with their baggage problems.
With the short connect would be wiser to check the bags? Would this increase the liklihood of our bags making it to the Alitalia flight?
Or,are we better off with our original plan?
I appreciate your suggestions.
This ain't the advice you're looking for, but here goes......

I have a 100% success-rate with invoking my travel-insurance for delayed baggage when flying Alitalia.....meaning that 100% of my flights with this carrier has caused delayed bags for >6h, occasionally a delayed bag up to a week. Each time I'd had to fight with the CSR in order to get a PIR -- they just didn't care.

Credit where credit is due, they've never actually lost irrevocably a bag for me, though.

My delayed-baggage-statistics has gone dramatically for the better after I stopped using Alitalia.

So my advice: get the ticket refunded (break a body-part, bribe your physician.....anything) and buy a new on another carrier

Ok, no, not really, bribes are bad....I'd say "don't check anything you'll need to use within finite time after your flight has landed".

Of course, YMMW, but I aint got much love for Alitalia.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I second what Aviatrix said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.