KLMAF cancelled my ticket

Old Mar 10, 06, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
KLMAF cancelled my ticket

Hi,

I asked for a ticket to the US (in First Class) and got three days to make up my mind. Immediately after that phonecall my miles were deducted from my account (double but also directly one credit for one flight). Yesterday I confirmed the booking, gave credit card details.

This morning I discovered by accident that my trip was cancelled. I phoned to the FB Helldesk to find out that this was indeed the case. I was put on hold and after a long wait I was told my case was forwarded to Paris to solve the problem. I had no option of discussing alternatives, since the lady friendly denied to look into quick fixes of the problem. The promise was made to call me back on monday and take it from there, but since the flight is is coming Friday already this is risky. I tried phoning back trying to make my point, but the agent would let me speak to the first agent and she refused to help me saying I have to wait.

I placed an option on a paid-for ticket on a competing airline. Can I cancel the ticket on monday? Will it cost me? Does this happen more often? Do you think this is normal? Any good tips?
Old Mar 11, 06, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Are there more people with similar experiences? I really could use some help here. Also I'd love to hear if more people had similar experiences. I plan to write an article/column about it. So I'd like to know how exceptional this is.
Old Mar 11, 06, 5:17 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
When you confirmed the booking, did you receive your e-ticket number/receipt (by e-mail)?

Without the e-ticket number/receipt, it will be difficult to prove that you had a confirmed booking.
Though, with your PNR they should be able to track the whole transaction history!

In the past I did not trust, when FB-staff told me to call back; but I have to admit that in the last months things are improving and staff DOES call back!

Are you booked with AF first class, or with any partner airline? If it is a partner airline , it will be more difficult to get your seats back!
Old Mar 11, 06, 6:11 am
Original Poster

It was an award on AF-flights, but one segment was Delta. So it will be pretty tricky to get the seats back. I didn't receive the itinary, which was one of the things that made me worried. However the miles had been deducted already. The PNR could be searched.

Does anybody now what the rules are on cancelling the ticket?
Old Mar 12, 06, 9:20 am

Programs: LH Senator, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta, Air France
If the miles were deducted and you have a proof that those miles were deducted for the flights you reserved, they have no right to cancell the booking. The booking in F is very tricky because they do not have a lot of seat available for award in that class. Quite often, airlines have call centers. Agents do not know the rules or book with the wrong code -A,F, P ???. The agent might have found a seat in First class but then...oops it was the wrong code. If the miles were deducted, I would definitively follow the logic to tell Air France that they have to grant you First Class seat. C est la vie !

Actually same thing happen to me with United miles used on Air New Zealand. Reservation was cancelled but they Air New Zealand gave me a seat in First Class anyway - even if the reservation had been by United. C'est la vie aussi - That's life too

Let us know. I still have a few miles on Delta which I would like to use for a F ticket on Air France. Now that they have merged with KLM, their call center agents could be confused. New rules...new complication...fear of the new manager

But be sure to fight for it and fly F on Air France and let us know how it went. Which Champagne ? Is it duck or goose liver pate ? the wine selection ? Hope they still have this nice Pomerol....and make sure they have the right size pijama for you...Ca c est ce que j appelle la premiere classe -That's what I call first class ....
Old Mar 12, 06, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I have bad news for you on the Delta-miles. I have half a million miles on them. So first I tried to book the very same ticket on my DL-miles. When I did that I was told that they don't off F-tickets on Skyteam anymore.... C'est grave, je sais. C'est la vie aussie mon ami.

Amicalement .
Old Mar 13, 06, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH Senator, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta, Air France
Indeed not a good news at all - thanks for the info !
Old Mar 13, 06, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

As I feared. KLM didn't call me and left me totally in the dark. I'm happy that I have a plan B. I still wonder if you can reclaim your miles and forget about the ticket.
Old Mar 13, 06, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by brenno
As I feared. KLM didn't call me and left me totally in the dark. I'm happy that I have a plan B. I still wonder if you can reclaim your miles and forget about the ticket.
I guess it is usually a 40 EUR fee, but if they screw up you should at least get everything back plus some k miles as a compensation.
Old Mar 13, 06, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
I guess it is usually a 40 EUR fee, but if they screw up you should at least get everything back plus some k miles as a compensation.
I agree they should do it for free, but I now know my miles are safe. I agree on the compensation either in miles or monetary
Old Mar 14, 06, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Angry

Since KLM wasn't calling I called them again. Again I wasn't granted access to the person working my case. Also I was informed that nothing had been resolved, yet. Given the short timeframe I had no option than go for the paid-for ticket. Of course I filed a complaint with KLM, but I doubt if that brings any result.

Meanwhile the spokeperson hasn't responded yet to basic questions on how processes work. Am I that exceptional or is this the normal way things go?
Old Mar 17, 06, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

So I flew Delta today and it was okay. KLM phoned me yesterday and offered apologies and 12500 miles. Further I got a direct number to ensure that the next booking goes without any hassle. That is a big help and I must admit that I'm pretty happy.

Search this Thread