Hotel miles: posted, but not included ?!?

Old Feb 23, 06, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star alliance, Flying blue
Hotel miles: listed, but not included ?!?

On my latest FB statement, miles from a hotel chain are 'listed', but the miles have not been included in the award total. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been an FD member for some time. Last year, I also joined Marriott Rewards, a partner of FB, and have selected the Marriott option of taking FB miles instead of Marriott points - so the Marriott stays result in more FB award miles. (Partner schemes do not give level miles, of course.)

I've been travelling quite a bit. Having stayed at Marriott hotels several times since the last FB statement, I'm delighted to see that the stays have been listed on my FB statement. They are listed with the respective award mile value, eg 1,761 miles, or whatever, totalling around 10,000 for all the stays. Also on the statement are my KLM flights, the flights totalling some 36,000 award miles. But the award mile 'accrual' on the statement, the total arithmetically added since last statement, are ONLY the 36,000 KLM flight award miles - the Marriott miles, though listed, are NOT included in the total, or in the carried forward balance.

The Marriott scheme statements separately list my stays, and confirm that Marriott have posted these miles to FB. I expected them to be included in the FB award miles total. Am I missing something, or is this a hiccup in the FB scheme? Has anyone else experienced a problem with FB actually listing, but not accruing, partner awards?

regards, Talisman

Last edited by Talisman; Feb 23, 06 at 3:43 pm Reason: Title to say 'listed' instead of 'posted'
Old Feb 23, 06, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Talisman
On my latest FB statement, miles from a hotel chain are 'listed', but the miles have not been included in the award total. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been an FD member for some time. Last year, I also joined Marriott Rewards, a partner of FB, and have selected the Marriott option of taking FB miles instead of Marriott points - so the Marriott stays result in more FB award miles. (Partner schemes do not give level miles, of course.)

I've been travelling quite a bit. Having stayed at Marriott hotels several times since the last FB statement, I'm delighted to see that the stays have been listed on my FB statement. They are listed with the respective award mile value, eg 1,761 miles, or whatever, totalling around 10,000 for all the stays. Also on the statement are my KLM flights, the flights totalling some 36,000 award miles. But the award mile 'accrual' on the statement, the total arithmetically added since last statement, are ONLY the 36,000 KLM flight award miles - the Marriott miles, though listed, are NOT included in the total, or in the carried forward balance.

The Marriott scheme statements separately list my stays, and confirm that Marriott have posted these miles to FB. I expected them to be included in the FB award miles total. Am I missing something, or is this a hiccup in the FB scheme? Has anyone else experienced a problem with FB actually listing, but not accruing, partner awards?

regards, Talisman
did you check your online statement? Email statements are often outdated. Whenever there was something strange in the Email statement it was always showing the correct #s online.
Old Feb 23, 06, 10:49 pm

So far, every time that something similar has happened to me the mistake has been corrected after a fax or two to FB (or FD in the days of yesteryear), never automatically (i.e. never waited for longer than 10-15 days to see whether a cvorrection would occur automatically).
Old Feb 24, 06, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Obviously a hiccup, then. I'll send a fax and hope everything gets sorted out.

I was surprised to see them listed but not accrued - unless you check the math, you wouldn't know. Very surprising - you'd expect a computer to be doing all this, and be programmed to simply accrue all items listed. Are everyone else's partner awards listing AND accruing - eg rental, hotels, seebuyfly, etc?

regards, Talisman
Old Feb 24, 06, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Talisman
Obviously a hiccup, then. I'll send a fax and hope everything gets sorted out.

I was surprised to see them listed but not accrued - unless you check the math, you wouldn't know. Very surprising - you'd expect a computer to be doing all this, and be programmed to simply accrue all items listed. Are everyone else's partner awards listing AND accruing - eg rental, hotels, seebuyfly, etc?

regards, Talisman
I have had the same problems with Avis but the FB online statements for airline and non-airline miles are not necessarily up to date. If you call the Helpdesk they can usually see what's in the system but not yet made 'public'
Old Feb 27, 06, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Update: I was missing something

Away when the statement arrived, imagine my shock on return at seeing that not only hadnít the Marriott miles been included, but neither had a partner (non-Skyteam) airline miles - in this case our old FB friend, Malaysia Airlines. Oddly, the statement covered Dec 2005 and Jan 2006, and all the miles that hadnít been accumulated were in December - all the miles that had been accumulated, were in January. I dug around for the previous statement (yes, I like paper statements).

Voila - the closing balance on the Nov 2005 statement was EXACTLY the 10,000 or so miles LESS than the opening balance on the Dec 2005 statement - and those 10,000 or so miles were EXACTLY the miles that are listed on the recent statement, but not accumulated. The balance had mysteriously increased between closure and re-opening, for miles that hadnít yet occurred.

Confused? You should be. I still am.

No miles were missing. The miles listed in December had been already added to the adjusted opening balance of the December/January statement, where they were then listed. Though the January miles had not been added to the adjusted opening balance. Not quite how you expect statements to work. And you donít expect different treatment for different times or sources of miles in the same statement period.

I hope this was just a special process for end-of-year, though I also wonder whether all partner accruals might now happen this way. Avis miles have been mentioned, and in another thread, someone else mentioned see-buy-fly miles not accruing (but in the light of this story, perhaps had been included in an adjusted carried forward balance?).

Moral: Worth cross-checking the prior statement closing balance, if partner awards are listed but not accrued.

regards, Talisman
Old Aug 31, 06, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Im still waiting for the miles from a recent NH Hotel stay, where do I fax the receipt for credit?

Search this Thread