BKK Lounge

Old Feb 9, 06, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
BKK Lounge

Having just arrived at Schipol on KL878 from BKK I write this piece with incipient jetlag, so I hope readers will forgive any grammatical inconsistencies. Even after having slept on the decision, I still feel compelled to have a moan about the AF/KL lounge in BKK last night. Flyertalk seems as good a place as any to do so.

I arrived at the lounge at around 2200, about 90 minutes before the departures of both the AMS and CDG flights. Descending the stairs I was greeted by the usual stench of stale tobacco smoke, but that is not the source of my complaint: it's been like that for years.

What I was truly astounded by last night was the totally filthy state of the whole lounge. There were two pleasant and efficient ladies operating the entrance desk, but apparently no kitchen/cleaning staff on duty. Every single table - and I do not exaggerate here - EVERY table was strewn with half eaten plates of food, used napkins, empty drinks cans, and various other detritus. The bar area had been completely emptied of both hot and cold snacks. Empty wine and champagne bottles lay everywhere. In short, it was a total bloody shambles.

In almost a decade of using that lounge I have never seen it in such as state, nor indeed have I seen a lounge anywhere in the world so neglected. It is my hope that this was a one-off situation, perhaps precipitated by staff absences. Either way, the AF/KL station manager at BKK seriously needs to get a grip of the matter.

Rant over.
Old Feb 10, 06, 3:22 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I am sorry but this is actually one of the benefits of flying with KLM on this awful route with even worse planes to match
Old Feb 10, 06, 3:59 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - HHonors Diamond - ICH Platinum Roy. Amb. - SPG Gold - Flying Blue Blue - M&M FT
Reminds me of the early morning EDI-LCY flight and the Servisair Lounge

Used to be filled with execs. all commuting down to London although since CB now have their own lounge this may now not be the case.

Have to say what a mess they make & then walk out of the lounge leaving everything lying around without even a thank you to the Lounge agent as they leave.

Clearly there was a problem at the BKK lounge but the passengers can go some way to alleviate such unusual situations by showing common decency & consideration for others by at least leaving things in a reasonably "tidy" way.
Old Feb 10, 06, 9:56 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by rhodeswood
Having just arrived at Schipol on KL878 from BKK I write this piece with incipient jetlag, so I hope readers will forgive any grammatical inconsistencies. Even after having slept on the decision, I still feel compelled to have a moan about the AF/KL lounge in BKK last night. Flyertalk seems as good a place as any to do so.

I arrived at the lounge at around 2200, about 90 minutes before the departures of both the AMS and CDG flights. Descending the stairs I was greeted by the usual stench of stale tobacco smoke, but that is not the source of my complaint: it's been like that for years.

What I was truly astounded by last night was the totally filthy state of the whole lounge. There were two pleasant and efficient ladies operating the entrance desk, but apparently no kitchen/cleaning staff on duty. Every single table - and I do not exaggerate here - EVERY table was strewn with half eaten plates of food, used napkins, empty drinks cans, and various other detritus. The bar area had been completely emptied of both hot and cold snacks. Empty wine and champagne bottles lay everywhere. In short, it was a total bloody shambles.

In almost a decade of using that lounge I have never seen it in such as state, nor indeed have I seen a lounge anywhere in the world so neglected. It is my hope that this was a one-off situation, perhaps precipitated by staff absences. Either way, the AF/KL station manager at BKK seriously needs to get a grip of the matter.

Rant over.

Pre-takeover, was this a KL or AF lounge ?
Old Feb 10, 06, 5:24 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by rhodeswood
Descending the stairs I was greeted by the usual stench of stale tobacco smoke, but that is not the source of my complaint: it's been like that for years.
Doesn't KL use Louis' Tavern, or was that back in the KL/NW days? That fine establishment is on a floor above the main depature hall; one goes up the up stairs right after passing through immigration. I'm trying to figure out where the OP had this unpleasant experience.
Old Feb 11, 06, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Sabai
Doesn't KL use Louis' Tavern, or was that back in the KL/NW days? That fine establishment is on a floor above the main depature hall; one goes up the up stairs right after passing through immigration. I'm trying to figure out where the OP had this unpleasant experience.

It at was the original AF lounge - pretty much straight ahead from where you exit the immigration area in T2. I'm not sure if KL used Louis Tavern pre-merger as I was flying exclusively AF in those days. I changed to KL when AF moved their CDG departure time to an absurdly late hour which didn't suit my connection options at BKK.

Apart from the smoke, the AF lounge was quite nice pre-merger. Even post-merger I've found it ok, if somewhat crowded sometimes. I had just never seen it so completely wrecked. Let's hope AF/KL have got a better plan for Suvarnabhumi.......................

Search this Thread