Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions on upgrading to elite level.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
Question Questions on upgrading to elite level.

I was reading FB program to find out how to upgrade to Silver but couldn't understand some issues there.
If anyone could answer my doubts I would really appreciate it:

1- What do they mean by 15 direct flights? If I book a ticket from Lisbon to Istanbul with Alitalia, it will be via Milan. As I am doing 4 flights in this trip does it also count 4 flights for elite status or only 2?

2 - Do domestic flights count for the 15 I need? For example, if I go from Los Angeles to San Francisco with Continental or Delta, does it also count?

3- What do they call a full fare?

4 - Now the one that is intriguing me the most:
Let's suppose in October or November this year I have succeeded to make the 15 flights to upgrade me to Silver. Will I stay Silver for a year or will I stay Silver till the end of this year?

Sorry for the so many questions but I am a newbie trying to learn how to optimize my miles.

Thanks in advance

Teresa

-
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Terocas
I was reading FB program to find out how to upgrade to Silver but couldn't understand some issues there.
If anyone could answer my doubts I would really appreciate it:

1- What do they mean by 15 direct flights? If I book a ticket from Lisbon to Istanbul with Alitalia, it will be via Milan. As I am doing 4 flights in this trip does it also count 4 flights for elite status or only 2?
from what I know it counts 4 flights.

2 - Do domestic flights count for the 15 I need? For example, if I go from Los Angeles to San Francisco with Continental or Delta, does it also count?
of course and if you go from Los Angeles to San Francisco (skyteam airlines needed to get qualifying segments) you'd have to go via SLC ond DL, so at least 2 segments each direction. AFAIK no nonstop flights on skyteam from SFO to LAX

in which context?

Let's suppose in October or November this year I have succeeded to make the 15 flights to upgrade me to Silver. Will I stay Silver for a year or will I stay Silver till the end of this year?
-
lets stay in your case. you made 15 segments in october 2006.
you'll be silver on that day (let some days for computer to show level) and you'll stay silver until march 2008. But you will have to requalify in 2007 (miles count from jan 1st to dec 31st.) for staying elite longer than march 2008, next period will be until march 2009, ...

clear? if not feel free to ask questions if you need more details
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Yes. And if you make sure you get connections, each connection is a flight (or segment) and count towards your status.
Not a discounted ticket.

Ok, it does say in the rules that you have to get x amount of flights to reach status for the following year. You also have instant recognition. If you reache Silver by end of feb you will be silver for the remainde of the year + all of 2007 as you have filled your quote for 2007 (x amount of flight by end of year) and if you carry on flying and reach gold by end of april, you will instantly be Gold Elite for the remainder of 2006 + 2007. Actually your elites status will be valid through Feb 2008. At which time you will either be downgraded if you in 2007 have not qualified, or remain at your level if you have.

Sorry for the so many questions but I am a newbie trying to learn how to optimize my miles.

Thanks in advance

Teresa

-[/QUOTE]

Miles!? Forget it. If you fly on cheap tickets at most you'll get 25% of the miles (unless you fly Aliitalia and other partner airllines that will give ou 100%). At least the segments qount towards status.

/E
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Every flight segment counts, so LIS-MXP-IST-MXP-LIS is 4 segments towards elite status.

yes, even the shortest domestic segments count towards your elite level.

I am not sure what the context is, full fare is the (one of the) highest Eco fares. You don't need to purchase full fare tickets for level flights (level miles might be only 25% on low fare classes with KL/AF, see other posts here).

If you make Silver by October/Novemer 2006 you will be Silver until 03/2008, or until you make 30 segements/40k and upgrade to Gold.

looks like 3 simultaneous answers Let's see if they are consistent

Last edited by cfischer; Feb 3, 2006 at 10:57 am Reason: :-)
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
If you make Silver by October/Novemer 2006 you will be Silver until 03/2008, or until you make 30 segements/40k and upgrade to Gold.

looks like 3 simultaneous answers Let's see if they are consistent
02/2008. March 1st is when changes to status apply.

/E
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Emma65
02/2008. March 1st is when changes to status apply.

/E
Do we know for sure? My card reads 03/2007? Anyway, I did not say including or excluding march
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Do we know for sure?

of course we DO NOT know for sure ...

edited to add: but I know someone I will ask
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:28 am

Do we know for sure? My card reads 03/2007? Anyway, I did not say including or excluding march
I haven't received my 2006 card yet but my 2005 card says 02/2006

So did all previous cards 02/year

/E
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Emma65
I haven't received my 2006 card yet but my 2005 card says 02/2006

So did all previous cards 02/year

/E
All of my previous FD cards have 02/xxxx, but my 2005 and 2006 FB card reads 03/xxxx.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
Lightbulb

Got it
Now I am understanding how to do it. I think going in and out of the planes and staying often at airports is worth it, lol

Thank you so much to all of you who provided me the answers.
I wish you all a great weekend!

Teresa
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
I'd only add that if you fly two segments on the same flight number, ex:

CO #2933 CMH-CLE
then continue on
CO#2933 CLE-HPN

Though you flew twice, it only counts as one segment (flight number needs to change, even if it's a different plane). This particular routing is currently keeping me from gold and may show up durring your travels.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quip
I'd only add that if you fly two segments on the same flight number, ex:

CO #2933 CMH-CLE
then continue on
CO#2933 CLE-HPN

Though you flew twice, it only counts as one segment (flight number needs to change, even if it's a different plane). This particular routing is currently keeping me from gold and may show up durring your travels.
very true, also you will only get miles for the direct route. Also quite annoying for some NW segments. To be honest, the flight only shows as one segment when you book it, but nether the less you often have to change planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.