Gold Trumps Platinum if you're from Flying Blue

Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Gold Trumps Platinum if you're from Flying Blue

Just returned from a transatlantic flight on a KL coded ticket operated by NW. KL & NW "share" the North Atlantic market and pool the profits. Due to this agreement, KL has also sacrificed quite a number of routes to NW. Unfortunately, they also have sacrificed the benefits of belonging to a frequent flyer program to NW. KL has sacrificed us, the loyal customer.

Flight was oversold and more than full. Boarding a mess with last minute shuffling and names being called forward: 1 NW Worldperks Platinum and 5 NW Worldperks Gold were upgraded to Business Class (yes, I asked). My FB Platinum didn't mean diddly squat. Not only did Skyteam Golds go before (and in my case, instead of Platinum) but my reserved seat (just in front of the blocked crew rest area, better for quiet sleep) was now in front of a crew rest area that had been given to a mother with three small but very, very noisy and uncontrollable children.

Bad flight, bad, bad flight. Absolutely no reason for me to have chosen KL/NW. Sorry I did. Would have definitely been better to choose another airline which would have given me possibly the same but likely better service for a lower cost.

Value to my travel experience from Flying Blue: ZERO.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Well, first of all, op-ups are never guaranteed. If you want a business class seat, either pay for the applicable fare - or buy an upgradeable fare and use your miles.

Also, if those golds were flying on Y/B fares eligible for upgrades, and you were not, this might have been the reason why they got upgraded, and you did not.

Feel free to rant about this - but you will see the same thing happen on other airline, especially if other passengers are travelling on a more expensive ticket.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:28 am

Also... hasn't it always been the case that airlines look after their own Elites before their partner airlines' Elites?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Also... hasn't it always been the case that airlines look after their own Elites before their partner airlines' Elites?
Definitely. And my point is that since KLM has decided to "merge" their business with NW on North Atlantic we are really flying "KL+NW". But only the NW members are getting the operational benefits. Every time KL gives yet another destination to NW, the operational value of FB to those forced to use AMS and travel North Atlantic goes to zero.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:39 am
Suspended

I do not see why KLM has sacrified routes to NW.

The current status quo guarantees a perfect utilisation of aircraft and is generating lots of cash for both players. It is certainly unfortunate when the flight is on NW metal, but the upgrade rules have never been revealed by KLM/NW, so it is just speculation at this point whether they prefer a NW Gold over a CSA Plat or KLM Silver...

It is certainly an unfortunate event and the feeling of being overlooked despite KLM top status is also not very reassuring to stay with KLM, but based on my experience LH is lightyears ahead in terms of making sure that the top status flyers will receive operational upgrades first.

It changed a bit lately, but on KLM , especially with those unfriendly gate supervisors, it is more like a roulette...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
How many of the transatlantic routes are really NWA's? I thought they only had the flights to/from Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Detroit? Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought KLM operated a decent number of their own (Chicago, JFK, SFO, etc).
I agree with airlines honoring their own elites first-seems to happen that way. Being NW Plat really only gets me early boarding once in a while, and use of Elite check in line, on KLM. Otherwise they dont seem to recognize my status much. Esp when it comes to seating- seems the higher my status on NW climbed, the farther back in the plane KLM would seat me!
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcs85551
Well, first of all, op-ups are never guaranteed. If you want a business class seat, either pay for the applicable fare - or buy an upgradeable fare and use your miles.

Also, if those golds were flying on Y/B fares eligible for upgrades, and you were not, this might have been the reason why they got upgraded, and you did not.

Feel free to rant about this - but you will see the same thing happen on other airline, especially if other passengers are travelling on a more expensive ticket.
Agreed that op ups are not guaranteed on AFKL or elsewhere. But apparently we FBers are now guaranteed NOT to receive them when flying KL transatlantic flights operated by NW. Could if be that having the AF letters instead of KL in front of my FB number has less impact now?

Buying upgradeable fares and using miles is no longer an option given the new FB restrictions on upgradeable fares which mean that the upgradeable fare is as expensive or more than a business ticket...

The impact of the ticket price vs. the tier in the loyalty program is not as clear cut as you state. Even our straight question to AF's Mr. Babu did not get a serious answer....
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Definitely. And my point is that since KLM has decided to "merge" their business with NW on North Atlantic we are really flying "KL+NW". But only the NW members are getting the operational benefits. Every time KL gives yet another destination to NW, the operational value of FB to those forced to use AMS and travel North Atlantic goes to zero.
I found NW to be very generous with 'KL' elites in the past, both regarding lounge access and upgrades. Maybe you just got unlucky. We will see how DL treats me tonight
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AcnNWAPlatinum
seems the higher my status on FB climbed, the farther back in the plane KLM would seat me!
same thing for me
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:11 pm

And it's impossible to get an FB award ticket on any NW transatlantic flight. As KL don't operate into any of the NW hubs, that knocks out award tickets to all the NW domestic US destinations.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
What fare were you on?

Gajan
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: Shiny ones
Other routes

Originally Posted by AcnNWAPlatinum
How many of the transatlantic routes are really NWA's? I thought they only had the flights to/from Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Detroit?
AMS-MEM is also NW
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:29 pm
Dag

I had KL to AMS, then CO to EWR and MCO. Missed the CO flight out of AMS, got rebooked on the NW flight to DTW. I got upgraded to biz, even if coach was not full.

NW always treats me very good (much better than KL does), and I've been upgraded on domestic flights as I had been a WP FF. Long before i got my silver card, I was upgraded by a nice gate agent even without showing her my card or accountstatement, and my reservation did not reflect my status either. I bet one would never see that on KL.

On the other hand, to friends were upgraded on the 332 flight AMS-EWR, no status, not overbooked flight. It happens, it just depends on the timing, who you are and if you have a lucky day.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:59 pm

mem-ams op up on NW.

My partner and I, both KL PE's ,were joint recipients of an op-up on a NW overbooked MEM - AMS flight early Dec. as was a Dutch guy who, as we boarded was asking GA if any upgrades were available.

Exraf
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:26 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Op Ups in my experience are very dependable on the staff on the day. As PE I have seen on a number of occasions people with not even a blue card being op upped when there are clearly PEs in Y on KLM. The last were two young backpacker females sat behind us in C op upped at the last moment who had no FF status at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.