RTW Awards on Skyteam through FB

Old Jan 23, 06, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold, Skywards Silver, Tesco Clubcard Blue
RTW Awards on Skyteam through FB

I've had a look through previous posts with regards to RTW Awards, and not a lot is said about it. There is a thread here on the Skyteam forum that discusses RTW revenue tickets and a little on awards, but contributors talk of DL or NW awards and its quirks - but not of FB awards specifically.

So, I phone up FB to find out. Agents don't know an awful lot about it, but tell me to fax (+33158686800) or write (a.k.a. snail-mail of the middle ages) to their "RTW awards" department. 'I haven't got a fax machine', I tell the agent, adding 'can't I e-mail them'? To that she replied 'that is not possible'.

So I phone back, and this agent knows a little bit more. Please feel free to add anything I've missed out, or correct any of the info here and I'll amend this post accordingly.

Economy: 140,000 miles
Business: 220,000 miles
There are no first awards for RTW.

6 stopovers, 3 within the same continent. 1 open-jaw (she tells me that this isn't counted as a stopover - although I can't see how not, unless I suppose it's <24 hours).

No backtracking allowed (not even within the same continent, unlike paid RTW)

Business awards flies First on US Domestic (now, I'm not sure about this one)

Booking Classes are as follows:

Business/Economy
KL D/W
AF O/X
CO E/G (E First Domestic)
NW D/W (A First Domestic)
KE D/U
AZ U/Z
DL O/N (R First Domestic)
OK Z/E
AM C/U

My questions are:

1. Some other skyteam airlines include non-alliance airlines within their RTW award scheme (CO for instance includes VS) - I don't suppose we'll be able to include the likes of 9W, MH or JL onto ours?

2. Are business awards really booked in First within the US?

Regards,
Dan

Last edited by dkay; Jan 24, 06 at 5:20 am
Old Jan 23, 06, 11:38 pm
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by dkay
1 open-jaw (she tells me that this isn't counted as a stopover - although I can't see how not, unless I suppose it's <24 hours).
She probably means, although you are using two airports in this open jaw, it is only counted as one stopover, not two...

No backtracking allowed (not even within the same continent, unlike paid RTW)
I guess that's in the stopovers... but if you have to go back to a hubcity to get a connecting flight, that would be fine.

1. Some other skyteam airlines include non-alliance airlines within their RTW award scheme (CO for instance includes VS) - I don't suppose we'll be able to include the likes of 9W, MH or JL onto ours?
If only it was so... but you might just be able to use KL-coded MH-flights!
Old Jan 24, 06, 12:09 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: United 1k, TG Gold, SPG/SVO/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, HSBC Premier
1. You probably referred to KE on your "KW" (D/U)
2. List of all award seat booking class is posted in RTW SkyTeam thread (I did it myself) a while back. If you go to that thread, you will see the whole list including other DL partners.
3. Each airline has some special partners that will allow your RTW redemption to include them....eg. DL has Alaska Airlines.
4. Yes, business class redemption on US domestic flights will be booked in First class. No need to have doubt on this.
5. PJK is correct about open jaw. e.g. BWI/IAD/DCA are considered as one airport, so you can fly in to one of these 3 and fly out from one of these 3 and only 1 stopover is counted.
6. PJK is also correct on the backtracking thing. Transit is ok but your actual stopover has to be in one continuous direction. e.g. I will fly from Bangkok to Cairo via Paris, then to South Africa via Paris, then finally back to Paris. My stopovers are in one continuous direction (west).
7. I do NOT believe you can redeem award on KL/AF flights operated by MH on RTW SkyTeam....but then you may want to check with since you are using their miles. I know for sure DL miles won't allow me to do that (flying on SkyTeam coded flights but operated by non-skyteam carriers).

Did I miss anything else you asked? It may be worhtwhile for you to check out RTW SkyTeam thread as it contains lots of useful info posted by myself and many others.

Btw, watch out the blackout dates by partners !!! I almost could not get the very last flight (and last segment) back to Bangkok on my RTW ticket on KE due to its blackout.

Last edited by kiam; Jan 24, 06 at 12:13 am
Old Jan 24, 06, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold, Skywards Silver, Tesco Clubcard Blue
Originally Posted by kiam
1. You probably referred to KE on your "KW" (D/U)
Thanks. I'll change it in my original post.

2. List of all award seat booking class is posted in RTW SkyTeam thread (I did it myself) a while back. If you go to that thread, you will see the whole list including other DL partners.
3. Each airline has some special partners that will allow your RTW redemption to include them....eg. DL has Alaska Airlines.
Kudos to you for listing the booking classes, no one here is disputing that - but I included it here specifically for FB members. DL partners aren't necessarily FB ones.

5. PJK is correct about open jaw. e.g. BWI/IAD/DCA are considered as one airport, so you can fly in to one of these 3 and fly out from one of these 3 and only 1 stopover is counted.
Yes, I think most of us know that. It was the explanation given by the agent that confused me. She said the open-jaw wasn't counted as a stopover. Thanks for clearing that up PJK.

Did I miss anything else you asked? It may be worhtwhile for you to check out RTW SkyTeam thread as it contains lots of useful info posted by myself and many others.
I did - which is why I included the link in the first place, and it's also why I explained the need for a specific post about FB RTW awards.

Btw, watch out the blackout dates by partners !!! I almost could not get the very last flight (and last segment) back to Bangkok on my RTW ticket on KE due to its blackout.
Anyone have any info on this?

Search this Thread