FB : 6 months later ...

Old Dec 26, 05, 9:34 am
Original Poster

FB : 6 months later ...

This year I earned 56k qualifying miles and I shall not be Gold next year.
I took five infamous European N-class tickets this summer, and I notice
that under the "old" Frequence Plus rules, I would have been Rouge.
Is FB still so generous by nature ?
Old Dec 26, 05, 11:03 am

hum! I believe 'KLM - The reliable airline' was a more accurate statement than 'FB, generous by nature'

F+ and FD may have been flexible with status thresholds in some of the past years, but I doubt 2005 qualifies as a bad year for the European airline industry.

Perhaps you could call and plead your case? a fair mix of higher fare buckets, or close to the required 30 segments, might work in your favor.

I wouldn't give much weight to the 'would have qualified under F+ rules' argument. Many ex-FD members would doubtlessly have done better had their (generally long-haul) MH segments qualified for status. FB is a new program, and we'll see in a week how generous it is.
Old Dec 28, 05, 8:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Interesting. I can say with certainty that I would now be silver under the old FD rules (scraped in at 30 flights - 40 flights under FD). So FB is certainly more generous if you're more of a short haul commuter type passenger. The N class fares are pretty stupid though given that the web site doesn't give you the option to select the fare class you want (important for anyone with a status target).
Old Dec 28, 05, 8:26 am

KLM's "no miles at all for E and N class" thing was, fortunately, very short-lived - I wonder if they realised it was a mistake?

I, too, am one of the winners of the new scheme - Gold at 36 flights (would have been 38 if it hadn't been for two flights in N class less than a week before they started counting again!). My other half scraped in at 30 just like Internaut.
Old Dec 28, 05, 8:29 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Simply use a friend's address outside of France, and you're fine.
Old Dec 28, 05, 9:45 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Internaut
The N class fares are pretty stupid though given that the web site doesn't give you the option to select the fare class you want.
Though it doesn't stick out, AF's french website *does* make it possible to discriminate N fares (earning 25%) from E fares (earning 100%). From the "special offers" page (promotions):
  • Evasion fares are booked in E (with Saturday night rule)
  • Weekend fares are booked in N (no Saturday night required and quite often still available 24 hrs in advance)
So provided it is booked in E and not in N, the weekend mileage run is still possible. That's 1,500 miles instead of 2,000 miles under the good old Frequence Plus scheme, and the hotel night is now mandatory.

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Dec 28, 05 at 9:48 am
Old Dec 28, 05, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did PLAT with under 20 flights, was definatley a good thing that I did several long hauls in Biz BEFORE June.
Old Dec 28, 05, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Titanium.
Plat with 36 segments

I hope to achieve plat with 36 segments - if FB correctly credits all my flights !!!

I haven't travelled any Bus Class segments at all.
And have done far too many AZ (12) flights for my liking, but that was still better than the 4 AF segments.

Not sure that I have put foot on a KL plane this year at all, but cannot recall the start of the year flights
Old Dec 29, 05, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Did PLAT with under 20 flights, was definatley a good thing that I did several long hauls in Biz BEFORE June.
Something similar here (although more than 20 flights).

I requalified as Platinum Elite based primarily on a number of intercontinental (Europe-Africa) flights in Business before the change-over, then inched over the qualifying line by switching a batch of intra-Europe flights from LH to Alitalia.

Not sure how (or if) I'll be able to do it in 2006, though.
Old Dec 29, 05, 1:35 am

Re-qualified for Plat with 26 Segments 79,948 miles, an average of more than 3,000miles/segment. That is the easiest and cheapest way to reach Plat level.
Old Dec 29, 05, 3:29 am

I suppose so . . . if you can arrange to have a 3,000 mile each way round-trip every month.

Now, how do I find a way to arrange that, without paying for the tickets myself???

Search this Thread
Search Engine: