Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking issues on FB website

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:49 am

And a new twist to this saga of the FB website. I booked an award ticket on the website from BKK-AMS-CDG-NCL in Business for 70,00 miles. Everything went through fine - confirmed at that number of miles & on those flights. When the e-ticket arrived - lo and behold - different flights (BKK-AMS-NCL) and at 120,000 miles. The call centre professes 'this cannot happen'. But I've got screenshot prints of the whole process, so we shall see what they have to say for themselves when they get the whole lot faxed to them......
Old Oct 28, 2006, 3:49 pm

AF/KL/NW and Malaysia can be mixed
but this is not valid for China Southern

She also said that I cannot mix a KLM/Air France flight with a Malaysia Airlines or China Southern flight. Is this now true?[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: KLM/CO/BA/IB
Award Error

Trying to book award LHR-LAX for January 2007. Checked earlier this month and saw C for 160.000 with AF (for 2 pax).Ready to book yesterday but it now offers me Y or C, or F for only 200.000. Press all the right buttons almost to the payment stage, but I have this strange feeling of having read that AF don't do F anymore.This by the way for the AF062. I check the AF site as though trying to make a normal booking and sure enough it only offers me Y/C for this flight.

I ring FB helpline and spoke to rather officious person, who would not listen to my problem but said that first is available on afternoon flight only, but only one seat available.When I tried to question why it was showing up for me to make an award booking online on the morning flight, I was ignored, so just hung up.

I wonder what would happen if I brazen it out and actually do the booking of F on offer, giving CC details etc ??
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:00 am

Programs: , AA Plat 2MM, FB Gold, Hilton Gold
Angry Charged double miles

I was amazed on Aug 31 when I could book an 80,000 mile award in Buisness Class on Air France NYC-STR-NYC on the first attempt. I double checked on the confirmation page to make sure I was being charged 80,000 miles and that the class on Air France was "Affairs".

After returning from my trip on Oct 11, I notice Air France had debited my account 160,000 miles!

Wish I had read this thread before I booked : I didn't save the confirmation screenshot, and none of the emails or e-ticket confirmations from Air France show the number of miles (just the outrageous $280.40 in taxes).

Update : I found the confirmation screenshot still in my printer spool directory, showing 80,000 miles. Hopefully, FB cannot argue now that I accidentally booked an open miles ticket. I have still got no response to my original email enquiry to customer service.

Final outcome: I informed FB by email on Nov 5 that my confirmation screen showed 80,000 miles. They credited back the extra 80,000 miles on Nov 6 and 7 as two credits of 30,000 and 50,000 miles respectively, without even asking me to mail them the screenshot or boarding passes. Amazing !

Last edited by ananthar; Nov 8, 2006 at 4:37 am Reason: Added final outcome
Old Nov 1, 2006, 2:41 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I would say this is clearly a mistake. Call them and be prepared to send them via snail mail all the boarding passes and copy of the e-ticket.

I recently had a minor issue regarding an upgraded AF flight using miles and I faxed them the documents, but they nevertheless needed the original documents sent by mail, as another AZ flight was also involved. In the past, with good old F+, I just needed to fax the documents for AF only flights. I don't know if it is still the case.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:10 pm

Research needed

During a frustrating attempt to book rtn Award flights NCL - AMS - IAH I have found that if, when you get to the "Miles required and Tax details" page,
under "Amount" in the first column if any figure other than zero euros is shown then the Biz booking will revert to Eco. Call then needed to get FB to cancel booking

If on the other hand the Amount column shows zero euros your booking is OK and you will get your Biz Award. Only a theory so Buyer Beware etc.

I guess a way to test it would be to find an example of where the Amount is some figure and then ring FB to check Biz Award availability on that flight. I did that for a flight showing Biz availability NCL - AMS - IAH..guess what...no Biz availability but whilst I am on the phone I can see the availability on screen!

More research needed
Exraf

Last edited by Exraf; Nov 7, 2006 at 1:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
AF First booking went ok

I went all the way through the booking (LHR-CDG-SIN), only to find to my horror that after payment I got a screen with LHR-CDG 'bus', and CDG-SIN 'eco' Also on checkmytrip it displayed 'restricted economy'. I had checked for the correct amount of miles and availability with KVS tool.

However the ticket was booked ok, in O and A booking class. To be absolutely sure I called the FB helpdesk, no wait at all, and reserved seat 1A for CDG-SIN. Now checkmytrip shows 'Restricted Economy' and seat 1A... Clicking on the seat however brings up the first class cabin. Somehow there must be a problem with booking code 'A' on AF, and checkmytrip doesn't know it is first class.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: KLM-FB Gold, PriorityClub Platinum Amb.
How to prevent 'Open Miles'?

Well, it can be quite easy to prevent Open Miles on a return ticket.

If you fly KL of AF, it might be cheaper to book 2 single tickets, rather than 1 return flight.

If you book AMS-Destination return and the booking tool shows: Open Miles, you basically pay the double amount. But it can happen that not both flights are Open Miles. In my case, I could book a ticket from AMS for Open Miles (70.000), and back to AMS for the regular amount (35,000). Saving me 'half a ticket' (35.000: I had to pay 105.000 instead of 140.000). When trying to book a return ticket, the booking tool would let me pay Open Miles both ways (i.e. 140.000)!

So: check carefully what flights are available, and split your ticket into to single flights. Again: Only on KL and AF flights!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eendracht
Well, it can be quite easy to prevent Open Miles on a return ticket.

If you fly KL of AF, it might be cheaper to book 2 single tickets, rather than 1 return flight.
Good tip! One other thing I noticed is that the web award booking engine doesn't (always?) like mixed airline returns. E.g. flying out with KLM and back with AF. Booking 2 single tickets will solve that as well.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I was looking for flights to CAI, before going with another carrier which brings me closer to my final destination, and I experienced the same results. While trying to book the return tickets, I was given flights at ungodly hours with AZ and KL (something like 4 AM). When I tried to book two one way tickets, the direct AF flights at decent times of the day opened up ...
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:17 am

What you are talking about sometimes happen. It is just Checkmytrip which is not correct. But you can be sure that A class is really first class booking class on AF.

Originally Posted by frankvb
I went all the way through the booking (LHR-CDG-SIN), only to find to my horror that after payment I got a screen with LHR-CDG 'bus', and CDG-SIN 'eco' Also on checkmytrip it displayed 'restricted economy'. I had checked for the correct amount of miles and availability with KVS tool.

However the ticket was booked ok, in O and A booking class. To be absolutely sure I called the FB helpdesk, no wait at all, and reserved seat 1A for CDG-SIN. Now checkmytrip shows 'Restricted Economy' and seat 1A... Clicking on the seat however brings up the first class cabin. Somehow there must be a problem with booking code 'A' on AF, and checkmytrip doesn't know it is first class.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: Frequence Plus/Flying Blue
Originally Posted by davistev

She also said that I cannot mix a KLM/Air France flight with a Malaysia Airlines or China Southern flight. Is this now true?
The agent you spoke too was incorrect. It is possible to mix Malaysia Airlines with Air France/KLM even NorthWest. I would try a different agent its inconvenient but if there is availability you should be able to get your flights.

Edit: it is not possible on China Southern
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:07 am

Programs: KLM Plat, Hertz Gold,Priority club, Lufthansa, Mariott
Originally Posted by JOUY31
When I tried to book two one way tickets, the direct AF flights at decent times of the day opened up ...
This might be financially interesting as well.

Two years ago I went to YVR (with KL from AMS) and I discovered that the amount of tax I had to pay was lower when using two one-ways than with a return ticket!

Didn't ask why, just booked the one ways and spent the difference in Vancouver
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Originally Posted by Exraf
During a frustrating attempt to book rtn Award flights NCL - AMS - IAH I have found that if, when you get to the "Miles required and Tax details" page,
under "Amount" in the first column if any figure other than zero euros is shown then the Biz booking will revert to Eco. Call then needed to get FB to cancel booking

If on the other hand the Amount column shows zero euros your booking is OK and you will get your Biz Award. Only a theory so Buyer Beware etc.

[...]
Very interesting! I am currently thinking of booking an AMS-NRT in C to burn some FB miles, and on my desired dates there's only availabilty via CDG. I haven't made the booking yet (pending further arrangements that require sorting out), but I was wondering if anyone has had further experiences with this. Has the bug been squashed yet? Will I have to arm myself with screenshots? (I guess I will anyway...)
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I booked 3 business class award tickets this morning. The AF website said I was gonna be charged 716 euros for the taxes of the 3 tickets.

I received a confirmation email a few minutes later, saying the total cost for the taxes was: 19 800 Euros !!!

I called Flying blue and they let me know that I had been charged for the 19 800 and that the award ticket hadn't been ticketed !!!!

They assured me they were gonna issue the award tickets and refund me for the taxes... (I'm gonna check my credit card statement closely because I don't trust them...)

Hopefully I carefully read the confirmation email... I would have ended up with no ticket at all and a charge of almost 20 000 euros for nothing if I hadn't checked carefully...

How can their booking engine be so wrong ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.